Anyone else ever melted their BMW Panniers?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Anyone else ever melted their BMW Panniers?

Post by riceburner »

I discovered the other day that I have managed to melt a hole in the left-hand pannier. :(

My pannier mount on that side is a little skewed anyway from a fall last year so I tried to straighten it out by using 4 or 5 washers under the pillion foot-peg mounting plate - but it doesn't appear to have worked. :(

Before I adjusted the mounting plate I've had plastic bags and things melt in that pannier - but I never thought the pannier itself would melt!!!

(I'll post up pics as soon as I take some).

Anyone know if there's a BMW specified minimum distance between the can and the pannier??
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Pat posted a pic once of one that caught on fire.. :shock:

DJ
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

I went through two left inner parts on my K12RS. BMW said that it was because I "overloaded" them. I recall anything over 15 lbs. is overload.

Funny that after they changed the design a bit I didn't burn through anymore. :roll:

Frank
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Can't see how!!!!!! I'm running a short downswept tip in place of my can and using a full size left case. Even with no tip fitted and the outlet from the cat facing upwards at about 30 degrees, the gasses seemed to blow between the can and the case and are low enough that most just blows rearwards anyway.

Did the case drop down??? I've felt the case on the base to see how hot it's been, and it's never been any hotter than the right side. Is your bike an 1150R? This intrigues me as I have some very long trips coming up over Summer and have now heard about a few melted cases, but just cannot see how it can happen unless the case drops off a top hook and swings down, or the lower mounting tab isn't locked in and the case swings inboard to touch the can.

Hope you can get the pics up.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
478cc
Basic User

Post by 478cc »

Replacing the cat with a Y piece causes the silencer to run MUCH hotter.
Dealer warned me about this when I bought the Y piece.
You could stick some heat reflective silver foil under the pannier to prevent it.
Never heard of one melting through before.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

478cc wrote:Replacing the cat with a Y piece causes the silencer to run MUCH hotter.
Dealer warned me about this when I bought the Y piece.
You could stick some heat reflective silver foil under the pannier to prevent it.
Never heard of one melting through before.
There's already some there (standard fitting).

Mind you - I suppose if I ran a proper Remus - it might not get so hot???

(especially with the new baffle they gave me that is a straight through piece of tubing with no kinks or folds... :D:D)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Airman1

Hot Muffler

Post by Airman1 »

You know, Pat ran a y-pipe on his R for thousands of miles, and I never recall any complaint about the heat. My full sized lef bag has some sort of reflective pad on it. If it was an issue I suppose you could mount a stainless plate under there. That's my fix for the melt too by the way. I'm planning to mount the Remus y-pipe shortly, so I'll get first hand experience.
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

On a long trip my case got so hot that the plastic oil jug inside deformed. Fortunately the case held up. After that I went to the local auto racing store and got some silver heat shield. It was self stick so I cut it to fit and 20K miles later no problems.
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

This pic shows why my case never get even warm.

While we're talking about heat...last week a friend had his BMW spontaneously burst into flames...

...was his case too hot...

...or was it some ars-wipe walking past with a cigarette lighter...I think the second one.

He was devastated.

DJ