Anyone else noticed this?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoof
Basic User

Anyone else noticed this?

Post by Hoof »

I’ve ridden ‘old’ BMW’s for years. One small difference on the R1150R is the ‘Snap Back’ Throttle. All my old bikes had a tension screw which kept the throttle in whatever position it was set. This was very useful for hand signals (remember those!) and made for a smoother ride particularly on bumpy corners as the throttle did not have to be gripped in position which is the case with ‘modern’ bikes

Arguably the most important control is the twist grip which apparently (some law I suppose) now needs to be free moving to snap back. In fact mine moved so freely that I noticed it can turn ever so slightly back and forth over poor road surfaces which cause the whole bike (and riders throttle hand) to experience some bumping about. Consequently the speed varies as the throttle moves. Not as smooth as it could be.

I’ve solved the problem with a couple of soft rubber washers and the R1150 is now much smoother in cornering. The twist grip closes but without a ‘snap’ and the bumping is not transferred to the control. Much Smoother.
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Anyone else noticed this?

Post by gregor »

No. I disagree with your premise on safety grounds. Imagine being under a bike with the throttle wide open? I've seen it happen during crashes of competition bikes. I can manage gear changes etc with my self closing throttle on the R1150R and did on all my previous bikes, and loaners, back to my first - a 1961 NSU Quickly.
No offence intended about your riding abilities just relating my riding experiences. And my safety concerns.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I have a throttle lock that I can add and remove tension easily w/my right hand. I wouldn't ride long distance w/o it for sure. In fact all my machines have such devices.
Just used for cruise mode.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I have the throttle lock on one of my R bikes. It works fine for long distance highway miles but I don't use it much riding here in the mountains. I did take a 6-7,000 mile ride on the bike last year without a the lock and never had any problems or hand cramping. When I got home was when I installed the lock so really haven't used it that much this year. I remember my old 96 GS, we used an O-Ring between the end weight and the grip for friction, worked pretty good actually.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

This was really just a point of information - I found my throttle was so slick that I noticed small involuntary throttle inputs particularly around bumpy corners where small hand movements due to the bumps were transferred to the throttle. Generally not noticed but so much smoother now the throttle doesn't 'rattle' Fine on smooth roads. - My throttle moves smoothly now - it still closes but without a 'snap'
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Fair enough, but the potential for jamming is there.
BTW, my R1150R doesn't need something to assist with cruise control. As I've said to this disbelieving bunch, merely resting my hand on the grip hold the throttle open. And it closes smartly when released. So, as commented on, I'm just heavy handed.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I remember the damping screws - have one on the Guzzi V50 that is still in the old folks garage.

I had one on my TL600s as well (IIRC it used a Guzzi throttle control), I used to screw it tight and ride the bike from the rear seat, just leaning into gentle corners. (Obviously on long, mostly straight bits. ;) )
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life