ticking valves, left side after adjustment

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

DAM650
Basic User

ticking valves, left side after adjustment

Post by DAM650 »

hello,

did a tb rebuild and set valves and tb sync, new plugs. everything sounded good until the motor got warmed up

upon start up, cold engine she purrs quietly, sounds better than when i bought it 30K miles back in 2017.

go on 2nd test run and return with engine temp at operating, the left side valves are ticking loud as hell, right side sounds like a lexus engine, zero ticking.

she runs like crazy, front wheel up all the time

I went back in this morning on stone cold motor and double before another test run and checked my work and they are set to spec.

anyone that can shine some light on this for me? I just don't get these boxers and their multitude of noises
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K
swamper
Basic User

Re: ticking valves, left side after adjustment

Post by swamper »

I'd back everything off, inspect and reset, in the middle of specs.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Rocker endplay, camchain tensioner, possibly reset the TPS,

Or, just ride the thing .
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Since the valve clearances check OK It doesn’t seem possible they are making the noise. I would look at the throttle body shaft where the butterfly screws may not be tight or loosened up when the exposed threaded screw ends were peened over, or did you use Red Loctite? Recheck the TB sync first. You might find it behaves erratically as you move the throttle off the Idle stop, Indicating that’s what the problem is. If those butterfly disc attaching screws are not really tight it could make very loud noises!
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--