What's next for your 1150?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

What's next for your 1150?

Post by riceburner »

We need some more chatter in here. :)

So - what are your plans in the next few months for your 1150?

Even if it's just parking up for winter, let us know, and let's keep talking.

I'll pitch in with my plans a little later in the thread... so - who's first? :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Re: What's next for your 1150?

Post by swamper »

02 R1150R abs. Riding it a lot, probably my favorite bike. Put Ohlins on it last year and a new Sargent seat this year. Rides and handles great, it's my Cafe Racer. Continental Sport attach 3 are great on this bike. Probably not many miles for the winter cold, no protection.
04 R1150R. All year riding with the windshield and Luggage. Will see most of my riding for the next few months. Dunlop RS3 have been working good for cruising miles.
02 R1150R Working with Ted Porter changing out the shocks. Two sets of TFX shocks have failed and he is now making custom set of TracTive shocks. The front is already on the bike and is working very well. The rear we hope to have in a couple more weeks. Will need to replace the Pirelli Angel GT's on this bike, not sure what will be the new ones.
05 R1100S BCR bought this bike this year couple months ago and have been equipping it with new items I wanted on it. Plan to ride it a lot next spring. New Ohlins, Sargent seat, Ilmberger inner carbon rear fender, Galfer brake rotors n pads, Spiegler SS brake lines and Continental Sport Attach 3's.
Going hopefully to the MOA in Montana next summer. I don't ever see much on this forum about it so never tried to make a meet up there. Maybe we should poll people here to find out?
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Mrclubike
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Mrclubike »

I am sorting out a Backrest for the Russel Daylong saddle I got off of eBay
I will post some pictures when I get a chance :D
82 R65
04 R1150R
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Well what's next - I'm putting on Hyperpro Shocks......BUT what I'd like to see on this forum is the expansion of the TECH TIPS & REVIEWS section to include the excellent posts that cover the main services which at the moment have to be laboriously searched for in the thousands of posts.

There are many things that most of us undertake to maintain our bikes and excellent articles on "How to fix them" that I believe would help everyone if they were elevated to the Tech Tips & Reviews area.

I think there are about a dozen MAIN 'fixes (see my 2 year review post) that could be added to the section:

I will give one example which I would vote for - "Clutch Access for Dummies". This article was hard to find in the posts but truly one of the most useful explanation of how to get at the clutch; better than any of the manuals.

I wonder what others would vote for inclusion?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hoof wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:54 am Well what's next - I'm putting on Hyperpro Shocks......BUT what I'd like to see on this forum is the expansion of the TECH TIPS & REVIEWS section to include the excellent posts that cover the main services which at the moment have to be laboriously searched for in the thousands of posts.

There are many things that most of us undertake to maintain our bikes and excellent articles on "How to fix them" that I believe would help everyone if they were elevated to the Tech Tips & Reviews area.

I think there are about a dozen MAIN 'fixes (see my 2 year review post) that could be added to the section:

I will give one example which I would vote for - "Clutch Access for Dummies". This article was hard to find in the posts but truly one of the most useful explanation of how to get at the clutch; better than any of the manuals.

I wonder what others would vote for inclusion?
It's not a bad idea - although I have to admit I've not looked at the 'static' sections of R1150R.org for years, if I ever actually did in the first place!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

As for my Rockster, due to current circumstances* it hasn't had a lot of activity in the past few months.

The only ride I've had in the last 3 months was 4 hours on motorways to meet up with an R1150R owner who was buying a seat from me. Good to meet up with a fellow rider, but not the most interesting of journeys. Was good to check out the 'tall' saddle that I'd found and fitted though. :)

The circumstances also mean that it's awkward to spend time doing things on the bike, in addition to the drawback that my garage isn't powered (so lighting is an issue), and rented, so I can only do so much to the infrastructure**.

I have a pair of Denali D2 lights to go on, to replace the current Hella FF50s which I think are fog lights, not driving lights (the beam pattern from them would suggest as much). I'm intending to mount them the same way I had my PIAA1100Xs mounted - by drilling a small hole into the silver headlight supports, worked pretty well last time.

I'm considering splashing out on some new shocks - Ohlins have stopped making for the Rockster (I believe), but there's a brand called Nitron who are supposed to be good, and a pair of new shocks would set me back about £1000 all in, and I might then get them setup professionally. I've never flet the need before, but given that a lot of my riding now is two-up, I'm seriously considering this upgrade. I still like to ride quickly, and new shocks will make this a safer exercise for both of us.

I'm also considering stripping the auxiliary wiring harnesses from the bike and re-fitting it all 'properly', with an auxiliary fuse box and correctly wired in relays feeds etc. This would definitely require some serious garage time. The main reason for that is that I'd like to provide my partner with a feed for a heated garment. She loves riding the bike, but doesn't feel that she'd enjoy it in the colder weather. The bike already has a KEIS circuit fitted (with the 4-setting controller), and so would need a 2nd circuit fitting. I don't want to overload the current wiring which is why I want to redo the whole lot. This is something that may or may not get done!

Other than that, I'm simply jonesing for having the bike available to me. I like to use the bike for commuting, riding nearly every day, and that simply isn't happening at the moment.

* Due to lockdown and whatnot, I'm living with my partner in a small house with no parking at all and the bike is parked up in the garage at my (rented) flat about 30 miles away. Given the way this relationship is developing, moving back into my flat is becoming less likely every day, which is both good, and somewhat frustrating.
Additionally, I'm now semi-permanently working from home here (45 miles from the office), which is unlikely to change for a few months, so there's even less reason to be in my flat (15 miles from the office).

** I do actually have permission to have the garage fitted with electricity from the landlord, but I haven't done it yet.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I've heard good about the Nitron Shocks.
The Russel seat works very good, especially on long days. Did our last years summer ride of 6-7,000 miles and both the R1150R's had Russel seats.
Never been to big on auxiliary lights but have installed the Weiser blinker upgrade lights on all our R bikes. Especially like the tail lights with the bright brake lights.
There really isn't a lot to tinker with these bikes, just ride them.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

swamper wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 am I've heard good about the Nitron Shocks.
The Russel seat works very good, especially on long days. Did our last years summer ride of 6-7,000 miles and both the R1150R's had Russel seats.
Never been to big on auxiliary lights but have installed the Weiser blinker upgrade lights on all our R bikes. Especially like the tail lights with the bright brake lights.
There really isn't a lot to tinker with these bikes, just ride them.
The auxiliary lights are to enhance the full-beam performance. I don't personally find the 'triangle of light' all that useful, and always try to ride as if I'm not easy to see (ie - appreciate that car drivers are not looking for me and ride accordingly). The Full beam on the Rockster is not very efficient (the beam is bright enough, but the spread at 100yards is pitiful), the extra lights are to 'fill in the gaps'.

Oh, I also realised that I want to make some mods to the bike to make it easier to carry my archery gear - currently I have to carry my bow and quiver on my back whilst going to the shooting fields, and I'd rather they were mounted safely to the bike to reduce the risk of injury in the event of an off.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I've never ridden a Rockster. Lights for me only come into use when caught out, usually/rarely ride in the dark. Riding long distances and weeks on the road teaches you how to pack lite and only take what you really need. Learned the advantage of todays clothing were you can wash it at night and it will be dry in the morning, some amazing fabrics these days.
IBA#7147
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

swamper wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:23 am I've never ridden a Rockster. Lights for me only come into use when caught out, usually/rarely ride in the dark. Riding long distances and weeks on the road teaches you how to pack lite and only take what you really need. Learned the advantage of todays clothing were you can wash it at night and it will be dry in the morning, some amazing fabrics these days.
I love riding at night. :D

It allows you to focus on 'just' the riding more easily and in the cooler/denser air the engine runs a little better, the roads are emptier and the only glare is from other vehicles' lights (especially bloody GSs with 15 different pairs of 'driving lights' :roll: ).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

I have a few "to do's" this Winter. While prepping the Motorcycles for storage recently the 1150 was puking gas while idling.
Hmmm, the 650 BMW was also gushing gas this Summer
I will chase it down this Weekend as the temp's will be 60 next week and will get back out for another ride.
Hopefully with the better half on the back. Not her favorite place as she has ridden her own Motorcycle for as many years.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I actually ride more in the colder weather, however it is down in the valleys rather than the mountains. Hoping to get this R1100S BCR rolling with the Ohlins. Maybe a couple more weeks before the front shock is installed. Didn't get the spacers on the shipment
Were is everyone's location.
I'm at 2,500' in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, so winter riding is hit and miss. I can usually head down hill for a nice ride all winter.
IBA#7147
Mrclubike

Post by Mrclubike »

riceburner wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 am I'm also considering stripping the auxiliary wiring harnesses from the bike and re-fitting it all 'properly', with an auxiliary fuse box and correctly wired in relays feeds etc. This would definitely require some serious garage time. The main reason for that is that I'd like to provide my partner with a feed for a heated garment. She loves riding the bike, but doesn't feel that she'd enjoy it in the colder weather. The bike already has a KEIS circuit fitted (with the 4-setting controller), and so would need a 2nd circuit fitting. I don't want to overload the current wiring which is why I want to redo the whole lot. This is something that may or may not get done!
If you dont have ABS
One place to consider putting the extra relays and fuses for an AUX circuit is right behind the Alternator in place of the ABS module
The advantage is it is right next to a good B+ source on the back of the alt
And a lot of signal sources to drive the relays are right above
Big problem of course is the tank has to be removed to access it :-k
82 R65
04 R1150R
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Mrclubike wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 pm
riceburner wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 am I'm also considering stripping the auxiliary wiring harnesses from the bike and re-fitting it all 'properly', with an auxiliary fuse box and correctly wired in relays feeds etc. This would definitely require some serious garage time. The main reason for that is that I'd like to provide my partner with a feed for a heated garment. She loves riding the bike, but doesn't feel that she'd enjoy it in the colder weather. The bike already has a KEIS circuit fitted (with the 4-setting controller), and so would need a 2nd circuit fitting. I don't want to overload the current wiring which is why I want to redo the whole lot. This is something that may or may not get done!
If you dont have ABS
One place to consider putting the extra relays and fuses for an AUX circuit is right behind the Alternator in place of the ABS module
The advantage is it is right next to a good B+ source on the back of the alt
And a lot of signal sources to drive the relays are right above
Big problem of course is the tank has to be removed to access it :-k
Yup, that's where the relays for the 2 auxiliary circuits currently fitted live.
Which fuse box is that?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Mrclubike

Post by Mrclubike »

It is 2 of theses
They work very well but you need the proper crimper
82 R65
04 R1150R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I think for me my new-to-me '05 RT will spend a bit more time in my shop/garage than my previous '04. The recent accident (7/1) in which I broke my leg has urged me re-evaluate a few things. I'm riding again of course (over a month now) but I'm cautious. Leg is healing well and almost no discomfort but the memory is clear. My plan is to do some needed maintenance. It's time for the ABS flush, I'm glad I still have my special fill funnel I used with my '04 (prior to removing ABS). The bike still has the original rubber brake lines which are in good shape but this would be a perfect time to replace them.
And I'll be learning how to remove and re-install all the fairing.

I have some LED replacement bulbs for the motolights as well. I might look into more LED upgrades at the same time.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

OK...I've recently moved from Colorado to St.Louis MO. ( For those that know the area...my apartment is very close to where I-55 and Arsenal meet.) My current task is for me and my 2004 to continue getting acquainted with our new surroundings. I was surprised to experience fun twisties not that far from the center of St.Louis - about 20+ miles.....what's more, in the midst of a beautiful hilly landscape - especially engaging as it's now painted with fall colors. ( colours to you Brits ) My son on his Ninja 650 takes the turns in a more spirited manner than I do. There seems to be an active BMW riders club, Gateway Riders - wonder if any frequent this forum ? Probably breakfast meetings/rides have been impacted by the lockdown. FWIW I'm 74, but if it were up to me, we would quickly return to what passes for normal. Weather has been good - today in the 70s.
Mrclubike

Post by Mrclubike »

Hello Bogdan
I live in the St Louis area
I know of the Gateway BMW club.
Of the people I have met that belong to it They seem to be good people
They have the falling leaf rally every fall
They moved it from Potosi Mo to down around Steelville but they still had it
So i would think they are still active

I know CO has some nice views but southern Mo and north Ark have very good roads for riding
You have to go to Eureka Springs Ark and ride that area
82 R65
04 R1150R