Sleeping Beauty Battery ?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Sleeping Beauty Battery ?

Post by Bogdan »

Buried under the tank of my 2004 R1150R, sits an Odyssey Extreme battery; it's a year and a few months old. I keep it connected to a solar charger which usually maintains it over 13 volts. The bike sat for 2 or 3 weeks. Yesterday I took a reading with my multi-meter. Shock !! The meter read 5.4 V. I connected another meter - about the same reading. Oh no...the battery is shot ! turned the ignition key...the headlight was bright....pressed the starter button, which produced a strong hit from the battery and the bike started right up. I let it idle for 5 minutes and took a reading...13.5 volts. Took another reading a few hours later....13.1 volts - a bit lower but it had gotten colder. This seems strange to me. In the past, if a battery read below 12 volts, the starter would turn slowly and not start the bike. The battery is an AGM. I have a vague notion what that means. Would that have something to do with this behavior ? It seems I have a Sleeping Beauty that needs to be kissed to life by the ignition. I hope someone can explain this to me.
swamper
Basic User

Re: Sleeping Beauty Battery ?

Post by swamper »

Can't say anything about your problem. I do know Odyssey Batteries aren't what they use to be a few years ago. I've switch to a new brand which has been very good.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Where did you take the voltagr reading ??
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Wires from the battery terminals meet at a SAE connector. That's where I plug in my solar charger and take voltage ( and amp ) readings. BTW, as of late yesterday, battery read in the high 13s. It's just warm enough here in St Louis for a ride - thinking of taking her for a spin.