Whizzy Maintenance Schedule

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Whizzy Maintenance Schedule

Post by Bogdan »

Glad the board is up again. I posted this at MOA; didn't get much response. See what happens here.

One of the joys of owning my 2004 R1150R ABS is changing the brake fluid - especially since I swore I'd no longer do pain in the cola/dupa work. The job has been done three times, at two year intervals, since I've owned the bike. The first time by a respected wrench, but he stopped being available for work like that. I couldn't find anyone I trusted so - despite my oath - the last two flushes I did myself. My first effort showed the old fluid clear in the front and a little brown in the rear. The last time both front and rear fluid pumped out clear as new - the clutch fluid look fine as well. Here's my question: Until recently the bike and I lived in Colorado where it's dry. I now reside in St. Louis, Missouri - quite humid here. Have you guys, that also live in a humid climate, found two years between changes sufficient ? Do I have to do it yearly as BMW recommends ? This brake system is a maintenance nuisance but it sure works well.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Whizzy Maintenance Schedule

Post by Buckster »

I have always changed mine every year-clutch too-until 2019. I went 2 years but also was not riding as much. I live in Virginia where it is extremely humid in the summer. I was pretty pleased with the condition (color) of the fluid. It wasn't much darker than when I put it in there. I'm not saying I'll continue going every 2 years....but I feel like I could.
Buckster '03R