Do I have a high or low seat?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

duegi
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Do I have a high or low seat?

Post by duegi »

'04 R1150R, the underside of my seat reads, (2 328 718, PP TV20), is this the high or low seat?

The BMW part number for the high seat is (52537672705) and the low seat is (52537658538), neither number is like the listing on the actual seat.
Brett
May your friction coefficient always be constant...
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Re: Do I have a high or low seat?

Post by iowabeakster »

I can't help with the part number situation.

But I can add to the confusion... there are 3 seat heights...high, low, medium.

Post a picture, and we'll be able to tell...or... I've got a medium sitting around in the garage if you want to compare.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
keithbw
Lifer

Post by keithbw »

This is the tall seat, note there is almost no dip from the front edge of the seat

This is the medium seat, drops an inch or so from the front edge.

I do not have the low seat, but the drop is probably three inches, easily noticeable difference

Brian
duegi
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by duegi »

Thanks for the pictures. Armed with the visual info I'm guessing I've got the medium or low seat. Once I figure that out then life could improve...
for my knees.
Brett
May your friction coefficient always be constant...
Oilhead
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Oilhead »

Wow looking at the pics, it looks like I have the low seat. :shock: What I don't understand is I thought the low seat and the high seat were optional and the medium seat was standard. I never specified which seat I wanted, didn't even know there was a choice back then. I just ordered one of the first R1150R in my area and took delivery of my 2002 in the Fall of 2001 and the only options I ordered with the bike were the saddlebags, speedster screen, and power socket.
2002 BMW R1150R
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
1996 Ducati 900SS
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Low seat - standard equipment for R1150R Roadsters, to best of my knowledge. This was our 2002 with original equipment. Well, mostly original.

Rockster OE was a high seat, or one of the options shown above. I don't recall what my Rockster's OE seat looked like.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Rockster came standard with the medium seat height. The Roadster with the low. I swapped mine to a fellow board member in SC...we were both happy then...for a while. Later I bought a Bill Murray...I mean Mayer saddle. I guess they figured if you need a high seat your legs are probably too long to be riding this bike anyway. Who knows?
BigJohn
Basic User

Post by BigJohn »

I think part of the problem with RR seats is that they used to be listed in the fiche as (in order of height) "Low" "High" and "Tall" which in a teutonic sense may sound good, but is confusing to people who just want to sit a little higher on the bike.
ColumbiaBMW
Basic User

Post by ColumbiaBMW »

I never knew I had the low seat either! I always thought I had the stock medium seat, but after comparing pictures of that low seat, and a picture of my bike, it appears that I definitely have the low seat. And that's probably why I feel very cramped on my bike during long trips. I'm 6'2", and really need a tall seat. Anyone want to trade for a low??
Bryan
2010 R1200R
n.i.paul
Basic User

Post by n.i.paul »

Here in N.Ireland I had to order the low seat when ordering the bike new back in 2003. Didnt come standard over here.
Torsen
Basic User

Post by Torsen »

keithbw wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 pm This is the tall seat, note there is almost no dip from the front edge of the seat

I do not have the low seat, but the drop is probably three inches, easily noticeable difference

Brian
Can you please check the number under your low seat?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Torsen wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:43 am
keithbw wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 pm This is the tall seat, note there is almost no dip from the front edge of the seat

Brian
Can you please check the number under your low seat?
The number stamped on the underside of the seat unit is the manufacturer's number for the seat PAN (or Base).
Each seat unit is an assembly of parts: the pan, the foam, and the cover (and the rubber bungs). The Pan is the same for all 3 seats, so the number will be the same on all 3 seats.
The BMW fiche number is NOT the same as the number on the underside of the Pan, the BMW fiche number refers to the Assembly (ie, low/high/tall), so the are 3 different numbers, none of which bear any relevance to the number stamped on the underside of the Pan, which is the part number from the manufacturing company (SHAD) who made the seat pans (not BMW).

(LOTS) more information here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/r1150r. ... 3457687969

PIc of all 3 seats :
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life