Any new maintenance work done?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Any new maintenance work done?

Post by towerworker »

With fall here I'm wondering if anyone has any maintenance projects for the fall/winter season? My bike continues to run great with no major items needed although I had to order oil from Amazon a few days ago since it's (for whatever reason) difficult to find Castrol 10W40(dino) locally. For a while I couldn't find the 20W50 and had to order it. I've typically found the best price at Walmart (5 qt jugs). Now they have the 20W50 but not 10W40. Go figure. I've been running the same summer/winter oils since 2003 and I guess a tad over 200,000 miles. I've resisted the urge to try anything different. I remember one long gone member (MikeCam) ran Shell Rotella 15W40 in all his BMW's year round with seemingly good results. It's readily available and less expensive than many other dino oils. Less than $20 at Wallyworld. But oil around here is going up. Probably around $4 per jug. But honestly the price of gas (or oil) doesn't affect how much I ride. I always chuckle when people say that want to start riding motorcycles to save gas. By the time you factor in all the expenses it most likely costs more per mile to ride a bike vs a small car. Doesn't slow me down though.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Any new maintenance work done?

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Got this work done 4 months ago, bike quit on the way home from work, 115 F, roadside towing finally got to me 8 hours later, Turned out to be a bad ignition coil, a fat red/orange spark . Replaced the coil and ignition leads, problem solved . While waiting for parts, noticed the front and rear shocks were seeping oil 80,000 miles on the OEM shocks, got replacements for them, replaced a left leaking fork seal at that time .
I start vacation in two weeks, doing the usual yearly fluid replacement, oil and filter .
Batteries are three years old, about the average service life here in the low desert of south central Aridzona .
Front tire replacement due as well almost down to the wear bars, I live in a desert, so I do kind of push tire wear due to it's a rarity I get in wet conditions, had a flat rear tire in June replaced it, hate having tires due a different times !!
Bike is looking kind of tired, the paint is cracking and peeling on the engine and transmission .
Seat needs recovering, got a few tears and sun damage, had it replaced about 17 years ago by a local one man shop .
Thinking you're going to save money by riding a motorcycle is pretty much not the case, but in my case being able to ride all year round, it does save a lot of use on my car I've got a 2014 Hyundai Veloster and it's about to turn 20,000 miles .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Sorry I'm so late in posting again. Old fart syndrome is getting to me I guess. I've lots of good intentions but geez it seems like I get distracted so easily and there I go.

Yeah thinking riding a bike saves money right? Nope. Doesn't take long for folks to realize that a bike can be a higher cost per mile vs a small econobucket. But that's of for me. It's all about the fun and freedom. And it's kinda fun to twist a few wrenches interspersed with a Corona or two.

I changed my oil last week, let it go more than usual at near 5000 miles since my last change this past spring. Good old Castrol. 20/50 summer and 10/40 winter. Never have run synthetic. Did the FD as well and always add an ounce of a moly additive to the mix. The drain plug/magnet is always clean and bearing tight. This Rt has 60K on the clock, my last R had 104K when I sold it to a friend. Did the same with it and the entire running gear is tight as it should be.

Well I guess I really should start looking for a gallon of good BMW antifreeze............
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »