Clutch slave failure

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Clutch slave failure

Post by sstein »

Went to change fluid in clutch master cylinder and it was black. Changed the fluid with lots of flushing and rode for a while. Eventually, while riding suddenly lost all clutch pressure and had smoke from the engine. I assume the slave cylinder seal corroded and gave out spilling fluid into the clutch housing.

Question (sorry if it's a dumb one): do I NEED to get into the clutch housing to inspect and clean it out? If soiled clutch fluid gor on the clutch itself does the whole assy need to be replaced or just the froction plate? Or can I just replace the slave cylinder and let whatever is happening inside the housing burn itself out? I ask because the slave replacement seems a lot easier than opening up the whole clutch housing.

***had originally posted this to now apparently defunct R1150R site. Thanks towerworker for advising to post here.

Thanks, steven
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Re: Clutch slave failure

Post by sstein »

Maybe just the friction plate would absorb fouled clutch fluid and need replacement?
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother