Fuel Line Quick Disconnect

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

AmosHarrison
Basic User

Fuel Line Quick Disconnect

Post by AmosHarrison »

After returning from a day's riding in the desert outside Las Vegas yesterday, I smelled gas. Tracking the smell led me to a wet connection to the right side throttle body. Off I went to LV BMW for an O-ring, just before closing. I replaced it, started the engine, and watched a drop of gas fall from behind the black shield above the throttle body. Sure enough, one of the quick disconnects was wet. When I went to separate the coupling, it fell apart in my hands! The male plastic fitting cracked right where the metal keeper rides. Off I went to LV BMW this morning. Dale, Service Manager, said it was not an uncommon occurrence, and he had sourced an aluminum fitting called Jiffy-tite, which he sells for twice the money.

With 34,000 miles on my '02, is this the way to go? Do these quick disconnects have a finite life? Except for the fact that it was the return line fitting that failed, I don't know why fuel wasn't spraying all over the right side of the bike, including the exhaust pipe!

Regards,

Brett
Newimperial
Basic User

Re: Fuel Line Quick Disconnect

Post by Newimperial »

So I had the same problem around three or four years ago. I had just replaced the hall sensor and there was no way I was going to spend €70+ on a set of metal ones. I seriously couldn't justify the expense. I found I could get LPG connectors from flea bay for €8. They have worked fine for the last three or four years.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Fuel Line Quick Disconnect

Post by towerworker »

The fuel line QD's are a very common failure point on the R's. Gt a set from BeemerBoneyard. I think about $100 last time I checked. They're plated brass and will last a very long time. Not difficult to replace.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint