GS Hand Guards

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

GS Hand Guards

Post by rdsmith3 »

Anyone use the GS handguards on the Roadster? What do you think of them? Does it take some getting used to? Any installation issues?

Now that the weather has turned a bit colder here in NW New Jersey, my hands got cold during the morning commute. I was zipping along at 75 or 80 and wondering whether hand guards would make a difference.

Thanks.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
camfarm

Handguards

Post by camfarm »

An almost perfect, nearly, just about fit to the Roadster.

Many use them and it is said the handguards imprvoe the heated grip performance in the cold and wet. Certainly keep my gloves dry in wetter weather.

Installation is a bit of a juggle-- fit all clamps and screws loosely; avoid pinching wire bundles and brake line hoses on the bar; watch those lever clearances, esp. the clutch; tighten all down uniformly.

Worth it. I think it made the overall Top 5 mods.

Post by Guest »

I installed them this weekend. I've had them on like they come out of the box, tightening screws slowly and methodically, but they still didn't fit very well. I finally cut off the lower tab and am only using the top one. great fit!

Also, if you have the 1150GS throttlemeisters, make sure the stainless washer thing that comes with the throttlemeister goes INSIDE the handguard. You then have to use the beveled black piece that comes with the handguards on the outside. FYI.
ofrogg
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by ofrogg »

oops. that was me. I forgot to log in TWICE like i have to... so convenient.
- Owen

I'm a skier with a motorcycling problem...
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

What camfarm said! They do improve the performance of the heated handgrips. I take them off for spring/summer/fall and put them back on for cold weather.

There were some threads on installation (maybe on the old board?). Some fit them right on, some have to do a little "material removal" on the handguard to get proper cable clearance. I fall into the latter catagory. :oops: But it was no problem.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

How much do new ones cost?
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
BMWkidd
Lifer

Post by BMWkidd »

Call Chicago BMW 1-800-262-9150.
Tell them what you want. Part Number is 7160 765 2330 $47.20.

Do not follow the instruction that comes with the kit.
Do the inboard ends first and do not tighten the bolts yet.
Then, find out how flexible the plastic is when you bend it to meet the outboard ends.

Ride Safe!
Paul
Lifer #276.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Yeah, what he said.

I had'em on for one winter and just couldn't get used to running into them every time I took my hand off the grips. Of course I live in Atlanta and don't ride that much below 40F anyway. So they were sold after one season. I think they LOOK pretty nifty though!
xaque
Lifer

Post by xaque »

I like mine allot, it does make the RR look like it has Moose Antlers, but hey, whata gonna do?

One word of caution. I was lazy when I put mine on and fudged the installation instead of adjusting the brake and clutch cables like I should have... (I actually had to eventualy run the clutch cable OUTSIDE of the guard to make my left side guard align properly)

well, at 65mph on a local highway my right hand guard "adjusted itself" and compressed my brake lever....

I was able to get off the highway fine, but there were a few moments of complete terror.

Get the angle of the guards correct with just the inboard clamps, than just tighten down the outboard screws.

-Xaque-
"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided."
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

I'll be putting mine back on for the fifth winter this weekend. You just jiggle, fidget, twist, hold it in place, cuss a little, drop the bolt a couple times, twist some more, and it goes right on. Wa-la! You're riding Bullwinkle. Really a must for winter at speed - even with Gerbing gloves.

Kevin
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

Just getting ready to put them back on for the fall. They do improve the available heat from the heated grips and also keep your gloves dry in a light rain or fog. They make a differrence on those colder fall mornings. Follow the instructions above for installation. I have not had any problems fitting them.

Tom
bakernks
Basic User

guards

Post by bakernks »

Have them on mine. I leave them on year round. Had to remove a little bit of material to fit them just as I wanted them. I'm running the Verholen bar backs and so my hoses/cables/wires were maxed out and would only fit just so. Also using that Kaoko throttle lock thingie, which also works great.
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

I've had mine on for a long time. Was going to take them off in Summer, but they are good for stopping grasshopper hits!

Good points - More hand protection (maybe). Makes heated griops work better. better rain protection and gloves don't get as wet.

Bad points - Look a bit odd sometimes when I'm not running with cases.

Overall - Highly recommended all year around.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Hey Bob - I've had GS handguards on mine for 20,000 of the 33,000 miles I've logged on the Roadster. I'm a year-round rider, and I couldn't imagine not having them between the months of Nov - early April. BTW, the temperature and weather in Southwest VA is very similar to that of North-central New Jersey, so I know you'll love them if you put 'em on.

The left handguard fit my bike without modifications. The right one required me to use my Dremmel tool to grind away a small portion of the part that clamps onto the handbars to clear the cables. All in all, the whole install procedure took me less than an hour when everything was said and done.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
jonothan
Basic User

Post by jonothan »

My R came with them already fitted but I rather like them and when I dropped my bike, I'm sure those handguards prevented damage to the brake lever. A replacement only cost me £11.61.

But they keep the flies off my gloves and the heated handgrips work brilliantly.
I like mine a lot, it does make the RR look like it has Moose Antlers, but hey, whata gonna do?
Moose antlers? Yeah, never thought of that. Coolio!

Jonothan
BMW R850R in silver
heated grips
panniers
flyscreen
cylinder head protectors
ASQTec
Double Lifer

Post by ASQTec »

Adding the Touratech spoilers to your handguards will help keep your knuckles warmer and dryer on the wettest days.

Don't worry, the TOURATECH letters are only decals, and peel right off.
Anthony

Member since Dec '03
2003 BMW R115RT-P
2006 H-D FLHPI
Simon D

GS handguards

Post by Simon D »

Yeah, yeah the handguards are fine, a little on the small side for the ultimate in protection but they get the job done. now what I really want to know is what is that screen on Franks bike???? DO tell Mr Granger sir, Please! I went to Germany last week, not the longest trip in the world from here, but it did involve a couple of 500 mile days and that silly bloody flyscreen thing has just got to be replaced with a more practical alternative! Cheers all Simon :)
latakia77
Basic User

Post by latakia77 »

I have a throttlemeister on my bike. Would I still be able to use it if I put a set of handguards on?

It appears as though the end of the right handguard is bolted onto the tip of the handgrip, and that would keep the throttlemeister from turning. Is there an adaptor to accept the GS handguards onto the RR throttlemeister?
Glen
ofrogg
Basic User

Post by ofrogg »

I ordered the 1150GS with heated grips throttlemeister. It came with a washer dohicky that's T-shaped and prevents the handguard from contacting the throttlemeister. I'd be willing to bet that that's the only difference between my t-meisters and yours. best bet would be to call throttlemeister. they're a great customer oriented business in WI... worth a try!
- Owen

I'm a skier with a motorcycling problem...
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Re: guards

Post by Kevin Markwell »

bakernks,
bakernks wrote: Also using that Kaoko throttle lock thingie, which also works great.
What is said thingie? I have a Bob's throttle control on my RR and am looking for something similar for the KR. Should I consider this Kaoko before the standard Throttlemeister?

Kevin
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer