The "Bobster"

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

PhillyScott
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

The "Bobster"

Post by PhillyScott »

I rode down to Bob's BMW today to see their "Bobster", which is a blacked-out custom Rockster that Bob's BMW did. I love the F650ST handlebars, which are little bit narrower and slightly lower. That bike looked great and will be the bike I model my Rockster after!

http://www.bobsbmw.com/motorcycles/imag ... -front.jpg

http://www.bobsbmw.com/motorcycles/imag ... ckside.jpg

The negative end of this story is...that it took me so long to make the round trip journey to Bob's, I couldn't pick up my matte black instrument cover and oil cooler covers from the painters. Well, I guess that's why there's a tomorrow! :wink:
Moto Guzzi 1000 S
BMW R1150R Rockster
Triumph Bonneville Thruxton
Moto Guzzi V7 'Cafe' Classic (UK)
mdouglas
Basic User

Post by mdouglas »

Why, when people "black out" their Rockster, do they leave the rear subrame and front wishbone parts that strange blue/grey colour ?! It looks terrible.

I have an Ed80 and I think the Ferro blue colour on the cycle parts really spoils the look of the bike. If I didn't use it as my daily commute, I'd strip off the offending parts and have them sprayed satin black in a moment.
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Why, when people "black out" their Rockster, do they leave the rear subrame and front wishbone parts that strange blue/grey colour ?! It looks terrible.
Changing those part's color would require major dissassembly of bike, not even the dealership's are doing that...
Bill
'07 R1200RT
mitchxout
Basic User

Post by mitchxout »

IMO, the Bobster is very cool lookin'. :D But Harley is already using the name. Rockster dark?
PhillyScott
Basic User

Post by PhillyScott »

mdouglas wrote:Why, when people "black out" their Rockster, do they leave the rear subrame and front wishbone parts that strange blue/grey colour ?! It looks terrible.

I have an Ed80 and I think the Ferro blue colour on the cycle parts really spoils the look of the bike. If I didn't use it as my daily commute, I'd strip off the offending parts and have them sprayed satin black in a moment.
Although totally black might be better, I don't mind the Ferro colour!
Moto Guzzi 1000 S
BMW R1150R Rockster
PhillyScott
Basic User

Post by PhillyScott »

mitchxout wrote:...Harley is already using the name. Rockster dark?
Really? I wasn't aware of that model.
Moto Guzzi 1000 S
BMW R1150R Rockster
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Harley Street Bob
Bill
'07 R1200RT
Est51
Basic User

Post by Est51 »

:?: Isn't that a "Night Train"?
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Nope, the night train is the blacked out softail. The 'Bob is the blacked out dynaglide. I am a former and future HD owner...

Night Train
Bill
'07 R1200RT
latakia77
Basic User

that rear pillion seat looks funny

Post by latakia77 »

The pillion seat looks like it was modified into a luggage compartment, or maybe that where they stowed the NOS!
Glen
KaneToad
Basic User

Post by KaneToad »

Love the looks of the Rockster/Bobster, but not too sure on the glossy black wheels. The rear especially seems to hide the fact that theres a single sided swingarm, it just looks... black.

I wonder how this would look if the wheels were painted the same blue as the frame parts (same colour wheels off the ferro blue/gray roadster?) maybe painting the side plastic where the front indicators are in the blue also, give the colour a bit of flow from the headlight to the front suspension with the rest blacked out. Still wouldn't be a total black, but more two tone style, and also get to show off the read wheel some.
Steve
05 Rockster

Post by Guest »

I have an 80ed Rockster, and personally, I think the blue coloured highlights throughout the bike look fantastic. It doesn't work on the green or orange bikes, and I don't blame their owners for wanting to black them out. On the 80, the use of blue really complements the look of the bike, and even the grey areas don't look too bad. I have worked in the area of design for long enough to appreciate the use of repeating colours. Have a good look at the BMW roundel. It is coloured black, blue, white and grey. Next, have a good look at the 80ed. This bike looks beautiful and personifies the BMW badge. No wonder the highly paid employees at BMW decided to celebrate 80 years with this colour scheme. Custom bikes can look great, but slow down and breathe it in first. Anyone agree?

Mike
motozark
Basic User

Post by motozark »

Yes I totaly agree with you on the colours that BMW chose for the Edition 80. It is a beautiful piece of work. I like the look of the Bobster, especially the lower bars, but I will keep my edition 80 stock.
2003 Rockster Edition 80#549
PhillyScott
Basic User

Post by PhillyScott »

I actually like the Ferro parts as they are and will not be "blackening" them out. Although I will be painting everything that's citrus green to black, the blueish Ferro colour breaks things up a bit.
Moto Guzzi 1000 S
BMW R1150R Rockster

Post by Guest »

I love the look of the black rockster and intend to go down that road myself once the wheels on mine start to get chipped but I like the blue so won't be blacking everything out. It sort of breaks up the blackness!!!

Having said that, the red trim on the wheels in the photo spoil the bike for me.
PhillyScott
Basic User

Post by PhillyScott »

Anonymous wrote:...the red trim on the wheels in the photo spoil the bike for me.
I agree with you!

I'm definitely not going to put the red pinstipe on my wheels!
Moto Guzzi 1000 S
BMW R1150R Rockster