Houston Motorcycle Show

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

BigJugs
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Houston Motorcycle Show

Post by BigJugs »

Hey guys, I haven't posted much lately due to some overseas travel and catching up at work and home. However, I thought I'd pass on my impressions of the Houston Motorcycle Show that I went to today.

Most manufacturers were there but it wasn't as large as I thought it would be. Suprisingly, not that many vendors were at the show. I saw so many more at the Republic of Texas rally in Austin this summer.

You'll see from my comments that I'm not a big cruiser fan. I can appreciate the curb appeal but I'm all about the riding experience and most cruisers perform like tuna boats. I also prefer sleek clean lines and cruiser types tend to bolt on gobs of chrome plated doo-dads which act like barnacles on a ship to the detriment of looks and performance, IMHO. That said, here's what I saw.....

Yamaha had two large booths (one for Star Cycles). Right up front was the new YZF-R6 sportbike. 140hp out of a 600cc bike with a 17500rpm redline! WOW! Only weights 357lbs dry. However, its too small for a real man such as myself (6'3", 235lbs and growing :oops: ). The new FZ1 is striking with its 150hp R1 derived engine but the fairing appears to be cheap plastic. Also saw the new FJR which is a very nice two up machine. I would consider it as my next bike if the thigh roasting problem is fixed. It also comes with an optional electric shift switch in lieu of a clutch. I always thought shifting was half the fun!!! As for Star Cycles, yawn. None of their bikes appealled to me at all.

Honda (Wings and VTX's), Suzuki (GXR's & Boulevards) & Kawasaki (big ugly rocket ships) had large booths but not much to talk about.

The Harley booth was crowded, as always. A few interesting V-Rod variations but not much else (other than tuna boats with chrome barnacles). :D

Victory had a nice display and if I were to buy a big cruiser it would be a Victory. Clean, sleek lines (thanks to Mr Ness) and 250 rear tire. Very cool and definitely the best looking cruiser but too expensive for a second or third bike.

Buell had the new Ulysees (GS style) bike and it looks good. Its the first Buell that I would consider buying. Sadly, like all Buells, it only comes in baby bear size and is not for papa bears.

Surprisingly, Russian made Ural had a booth with a half-dozen sidecar laden bikes. They all had air cooled opposed twins and looked like '60 era Beemers!

Speaking of Beemers! They had all the new stuff (that's already in the showrooms). The new parallel twin was not there so I drooled over the K1200R & S, the new RT and ST. Sadly tho, the ST was not very comfortable. Hunched over seating and the tank cutout was too small for my knees. :cry: The new GS was there to consider. Lots to like on that bike (maybe thats my next bike?)!!! The HP2 was much to my liking. I can't see spending $20,000 on a dirt bike but it sure fit me well. It's VERY tall (made for a real man) and VERY light with the new hex head and loads of power. No question this would be an absolute blast to ride! Oh yes, news on the new R1200R. A BMW spokesman confirmed that they will build a hexhead R1200R. Yipee!

I also met up with some folks from the Two Wheel Texans website (twtex.com) at the BMW booth. Really nice bunch.

Next to the BMW booth was the Piaggio booth full of scooters. I ignored it completely until I realized that Piaggio now owns Aprilia and Moto Guzzi and that they were hiding the real motorcycles behind those little scooters! Aprilia had the new Tuono but it was on display and we couldn't sit on it. Guzzi had the new Breva 1100 and it is one nice bike. I bought my R1150R about 9 months ago when the Breva was not available. I love my oilhead but this Guzzi is aimed right at oilhead owners and I may have made a different decision if the Breva 1100 was available to consider. It has the benefit of Italian styling and slightly better performance, at a price & $12500. I think Guzzi has a winner here. They also showed the Griso which is a very mean looking naked bike and looks like a ton of fun to ride. Lots of torque but down on HP's (90). Sadly, I have to report that Piaggio shelved the MGS-01 Corsa for the Guzzi line. One of the sweetest looking concept bikes that I have ever seen!

Speaking of sweet rides. MV Agusta showed off their new Brutale 910. Oh my what a lovely bike, and with a man sized engine! Sadly tho, its man sized engine is crammed into a panty waist frame. Argh! Why do the little guys get all the cool hooligan bikes!!!

Ducati showed off most of their sexy lineup. Lots of Monsters and S3's & S4's. The Multistrada is said to be a nice bike but the styling is a bit goofy (Beemerish?!?!).

Finally, shame on Triumph for absolutely no factory sponsorship! Heck, if the Russians can show up then why not the Brits (especially with all their new toys)? Not a smart move, Triumph. British USA (local dealer) had a very small booth with only five bikes. The Rocket III (very fast tuna boat), Speed Triple (once again, too small), a ST and a couple of Bonnies(still a beauty).

If you made it this far then you are probably as bored as I am tonight but thanks for reading! The wife is watching some romance movie so I needed something to keep me busy!

Ride safe!
BigJugs

2004 R1150R Piedmont Red... Not the fastest color but chicks really dig it!!!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Thanks BJ...great news about the R1200R....a friend has a HP2...I'm hoping he'll give me a ride...all that extra power and a bike that weighs less than a GS650.. :shock:

DJ
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Great write up, thanks.

I have been hearing scuttlebutt about a R1200R for close to a year now, however I have heard absolutely nothing about the details.

If I had any input, I would like to see a R1200R with the ST engine and a base model W/O any options, ie light and NEKID. :twisted:
Last edited by Deans BMW on Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean-O
Member #33
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Finally, shame on Triumph for absolutely no factory sponsorship! Heck, if the Russians can show up then why not the Brits (especially with all their new toys)? Not a smart move, Triumph. British USA (local dealer) had a very small booth with only five bikes. The Rocket III (very fast tuna boat), Speed Triple (once again, too small), a ST and a couple of Bonnies(still a beauty).
BigJugs, Triumph's position is not quite what you think.

Remember, they are a relatively small company with relatively small production numbers and therefore, sales. In the U.S. BMW's slice of the pie is ~1.8%. Triumph's is ~1.4% and accounts for ~1/3 of their production.

Last week I read a Triumph press release about this very thing. Triumph U.S. made a business decision to not participate in the Cycle World/Toyota International Motorcycle Shows this year. Instead, they stocked their Demo Trailer with even more bikes and it is making many more stops around the country this year. I saw it at Daytona last month and Fort Worth last week, while the CW Show was here. The lines and waiting lists for rides were
l-o-n-g at both places. (Unfortunately, niether the new 675 Triple Sport Bike nor the new Bonneville Scrambler were available yet. But the '06 Speed Triples were (Hoochie Mama!)

Triumph's decision was an economic one. Being small they have a small marketing budget. Thier view is they will sell more motorcycles by putting them in the hands of rider-prospects to ride than by merely letting them look at their lineup at a show. They were very careful to say that they are not boycotting the CW Show and are not saying the show circuit is not effective marketing, or worth the cost. They left the door wide open to return to this show in the future.

I think their theory is working!

There are two sport bike riders at work who are skilled and serious riders. They ride a Honda RC51 and a R1000RR. I work with a LOT of "riders" but these two are the only ones I will ride with or let ride my bikes...I am *very* selective about both. I had been telling them about Speed Triples and sending them articles, etc. for months. Their reaction was polite but very "ho-hum." A month ago after "Hoochie Mama", my '06 Speed Triple was fully broken in and "dialed in" I asked them both if they wanted to ride her...to my surprise both said "Hell YES!".

They each returned with big silly grins annd both announced their Hondas are for sale and they are getting S3's. One has to sell his bike first and is trying to, he's now Jonesing over a white one. The other took money out of savings and "reserved" the next black one, which is now "on the boat".

We also learned last week that in November '05, Triumph already has confirmed orders for their entire 2006 S3 production and ~3/4 of their '06 production of the new 675 sport bike (not bad for a bike few people and no one in the U.S. has even seen.)

Like I said...their marketing theory seems to be working.

Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
Simon D
Basic User

houston show

Post by Simon D »

Quite right Dave, Triumph have a new commercial director called Tue Mantoni (he's Danish) and he is one switched on guy. He talks a lot of sense and I imagine that the "Roadshow" not "Static-show" would be his doing.
He is quite determined that Triumph should do what they do best (twins & triples) and not bait the Japanese with their own fish (fours).
Good times are coming for Triumph you wait and see!
I know this is a BMW forum but I for one would love to know more about the restoration of the "Johnny Allen" streamliner.When I saw the photos of that and the Triumph works racers just a pile of ashes I was just devastated :cry: :cry: be good!
Si
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Simon -
See "The Texas Ceegar" thread.
Dave

BigJugs
Basic User

Post by BigJugs »

Darth,

I understand about marketing on a budget and I really like the direction that Triumph is taking with their products. I like their strategy of focusing on the strength of the triple and avoiding head to head competition with the generic Japanese fours. I'm a big fan of their new models and was disappointed that they weren't represented better in Houston. Sadly, I never saw their demo trailer. I don't think it was at the Houston show.

Cheers,
BigJugs

collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

I have a feeling Triumph has figured out the "real" motorcycle, be it a hooligan city bike or a cafe racer, they are making bikes that work in the real world, for real riders (average & ABOVE average skill levels, thankyouverymuch). There are tons of harley/Victory/choppers that are motorcycles, but do not DO what a quality handling bike does. The R1s/GSXRs/etc are incredible machines, but who can really ride them to their designed end? Not me, and I wouldn't even try, save a track day. The S3 looks like the UJM (albeit from Britain), and unless the KTM SuperDuke makes it to America, Triumph may own the segment for a while. This, I feel, is the direction BMW has been creeping towards, whilst keeping the Touring/Velocity/Adventure categories busy in the meantime. I have an itch that says the R1200R we're all waiting for may scratch the same as the S3 or SuperDuke, and be VERY rideable. Or not.
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

unless the KTM SuperDuke makes it to America
Lynnwood MotoPlex in Wa state (~ 20 mi. north of Seattle) is importing them! Very cool!

Not sure what's the story with licensing, parts, servicing, and warranties...

A strippy R1200R. Yes!
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Mr. Jugs -
Sadly, I never saw their demo trailer. I don't think it was at the Houston show.
OK Jugsie, since there was no Triumph trailer at Houston, anytime you want a test ride on an S3, let me know and I'll meet you halfway between Houston & Fort Worth and we'll take care of that!
Bring something cool for me to ride. An R1150R would do nicely...
Dave

darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Collyers!
...The S3 looks like the UJM...
You're killin' me!
Dave

JCsman
Lifer

Post by JCsman »

collyers wrote:I The S3 looks like the UJM.
Just add a Vetter fairing and watch Mr. Darth implode! :wink:
-----------------------------------
I think demo rides are a brilliant plan for a small budget operation. When I bought my R1150R I'd tried to narrow a long list of possible bikes down to a managable few. No one but BMW offered test rides. So my search was, largely, academic.

The BMW on my list was the R1150RT. In fact I was not even aware there was an R1150R :oops: . I rode the R1150RT. Pretty nice. But a demo ride on the R1150R cinched the deal.

The advances in bikes from year to year seems amazing to me. So a test ride for somone whose bike is (say) five years old would be an eye (and wallet) opener.
Last edited by JCsman on Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Bill #438, Lifetime
If I'm going to grow up, I'd better hurry.....oh well.
dallara

Yep, JCsman...

Post by dallara »

Yep, JCsman...

A Vetter Windjammer and some old Shoei saddlebags!!!

Maybe some deer whistles, too... :lol:

Cheers!

Dallara
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

CLUNK.......
Dave

BigJugs
Basic User

Post by BigJugs »

darthrider wrote:Mr. Jugs -
Sadly, I never saw their demo trailer. I don't think it was at the Houston show.
OK Jugsie, since there was no Triumph trailer at Houston, anytime you want a test ride on an S3, let me know and I'll meet you halfway between Houston & Fort Worth and we'll take care of that!
Bring something cool for me to ride. An R1150R would do nicely...
Darth,

That sounds like a great plan. I couldn't believe how short the S3 was when I sat on it. It felt like it started at my knuckles and ended at my arse.

I still think Triumph "cheaped out" of this tour event. Ural, MV Agusta, Aprilia/Moto Guzzi were all represented and their volume is less than Triumph's. The only other one sadly missing was KTM.

Cheers,
BigJugs

arkline
Quadruple Lifer

Post by arkline »

Lynnwood MotoPlex in Wa state (~ 20 mi. north of Seattle) is importing them! Very cool!
Odd. My daughter and I were up there a couple of weekends ago and there wasn't any real orange to be seen. I'd really like a squint at that KTM thingie, but haven't seen hide nor hair. And their Triumph display was sort of like an after thought. Lotsa metric cruisers, though...hmmph.
arkline #27
not THE Ron Kline

"No matter where you go, there you are."
rivi7777
Basic User

motoplex...

Post by rivi7777 »

I'd really like a squint at that KTM thingie, but haven't seen hide nor hair. And their Triumph display was sort of like an after thought.

Arkline, are we talking about the same shop here? I think you were in Cycle Barn. The Motoplex is a few more blocks north on 99. They sell Yami, KTM, and Victory - not Triumph...

About a month ago, there was a beautiful orange Super Duke in the window. The salesman explained they were importing them early and have sold numerous ones of both colors. He was right. I recently saw one at Alice's restaurant on Skyline Blvd located between SJ and SF with the dealer's license plate frame...

arkline
Quadruple Lifer

Post by arkline »

Arkline, are we talking about the same shop here?
Ah, another senior moment. Cycle Barn is now split into two shops. One is EXCLUSIVELY H-D and the other (a few miles north on 99) houses the rest of their line. You're right. I should have gone even a few more miles north to get to the Motoplex. Maybe something to do this coming weekend.

On the other hand, after cruising on 99 for any length of time, it all sorta blends together into one huge car lot/restaurant/smokeshop/furniture store/tanning salon/nails place/donut shop... :lol:
arkline #27
not THE Ron Kline

"No matter where you go, there you are."
collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

The SuperDuke is a "black market" bike right now - the only reason the 950 SM is coming here so easily is that it has the same motor/electronics as the previously DOT/NHTSA/whatever-certified 950 Adventure. The SuperDuke is a fuel-injected beast of a completely different, uh, nature. KTM doesn't know if they want to spend $100k certifying a bike that might sell 5,000 units here in the USA. Currently, they cannot GIVE away the 950 Adventure - all the people buying them have bought them, and there are LOTS left over. The dlrs in Colo/WA/California that have SuperDukes "in stock" have done so against KTM orders, and are very hard to license (except in WA).
I'd try, but not at the expense of zero parts support & a not-so-good dlr here in N. Texas.
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.