My special invite to BMW Australia's Head Office.

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

My special invite to BMW Australia's Head Office.

Post by DJ Downunder »

Our Victorian BMW Motorcycle club was lucky to be invited to BMW Aust. H.O. last Monday night...they expected about 200 people and got more than 300.

Keith and Marko were there for this big event...BMW Aust. put on a great night for us...here's a pic of us all arriving...it's a huge place..and I mean HUGE!

First they lead us though to their big staff cafe..but we didn't all fit..we spilled out int the courtyard...they just kept bringing out more and more food and drinks.

Next they moved us all into one of their big training rooms for a talk from the big knobs...and a nice BMW movie about the HP2...I was lucky to be near the front.

After the movie and talk about how good BMW are going in the market place..and what's new with BMW we moved into another area..with new bikes.. :D

They also put on a big sale of BMW gear...it was like stock take sale time at the local shopping center...very good prices...people going crazy over bargains galore.

I was more interested in the new bikes...I whipped out my new little camera and started flashing away..(just for you guys)..I was soon pulled aside and asked if we were told no photos....I said no...they went off and had a little pow-wow and came back and said...ok.. \:D/

The oldest BMW there caught my eye first...nice.

Here's a couple of pics of the new HP2...check out the neat valve cover gards that wrap around and cover the fuel injectors.

Can anyone guess that's with that little wire thingie...and the double up rear brake pedal thingie... :shock:

I've already posted most of my pics of the new K1200GT.

Here's some pics of the new 800's...one with a half fairing (red)..and one with a full fairing (blue)..note 5 1/2" rear wheel.. :shock:

Notice the little steering dampener hiding under there...hmmm?

Notice the sideways pointing valve stem...nice touch.

After the crowd had left I had a look through the scraps from the buying frenzy...I got myself a few real bargains..BMW sneakers $60..normally double that...a nice long sleeve boxer cup T shirt...and a nice BMW windstopper top to wear under my jacket in winter...cool!

I hope you'all enjoyed my big night at BMW....oh yeah...just as we were leaving we had this brilliant sun set...I was a little late to get the best of it..here ya go.

DJ

Last edited by DJ Downunder on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Nice pics. I'm guessing the dual brake lever thingy is to keep the boot away from the exhaust?

I like the new wheels on the 800's; wierd swingarm arrangement. Can't wait to see how they perform, and what their niche is.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Nice pics. I'm guessing the dual brake lever thingy is to keep the boot away from the exhaust?
That's what I thought at first...but nope.. :D ...where's big D when ya need him.. :?

Yeah the wheels are nice..the swingarm isn't bad also.

DJ
leno

Post by leno »

Some good photos there of some of the details we have not been able to see before. I like that swing arm on the 800, very stylish. Not so sure about the engine though, it's a bit plain or functionable. As for the market I can see clearly that a lighter BMW is a good move. The singles are great bikes but singles are restricted by design and will always wear the hat of cheap and cherfull. Which when you have to price them as BMW do does not work. But twin yes I can see that. Well it would suit me just fine as long as it's a good bike. I'll be banging on the door when they arrive to get my test ride. Nice orange F800S with my name on.
collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

the wire on the brake lever is a safety wire to keep brush/small animals from getting caught in between & locking up the rear brake, and also in case you really biff it and try to bend it too far downwards. No?
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

collyers...you're spot on about that neat little wire thingie....now what about that funny hinge thingie on the brake arm itself...any idea... :D

btw..it swings down and locks down...and also swings up and stays up.

DJ
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

DJ Downunder wrote:collyers...you're spot on about that neat little wire thingie....now what about that funny hinge thingie on the brake arm itself...any idea... :D

btw..it swings down and locks down...and also swings up and stays up.

DJ
Different lever heights for sitting and standing. ;)

Did you get to sit on the HP2? it's SERIOUSLY well balanced.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kbc68
Lifer

Post by kbc68 »

Great pics as usual ! :smt023

I suppose they weren't offering a Q & A moment
so we could probe for info on th R1200R or any other
suprising events that might be coming up !!!!!

:smt026
2004 Silver R1150R abs

KeV !
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

DJ. Where are the girls?
collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

I used to wire up my dirt bikes like this - nothing like getting a twig jammed in there & you flying over the bars in the woods some where because your back brake suddenly when to full ON. This wire also protects the brake master cyclinder hiding behind the frame right there.

The little EXTRA brake pedal thingy? I think its simply a guard for your boot to keep from melting/burning it on the pipe that seems just millimeters away - does it fold inward (towards the frame) or outward? If it folds inward, it would allow you to move around on the bike while standing and still have a bit of brake lever to stomp on - but it would also allow you to scorch your bootie. If it folds outward (towards the pedal), I haven't a clue. Notice the boot wear on the paint behind the peg.
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

collyers wrote:I used to wire up my dirt bikes like this - nothing like getting a twig jammed in there & you flying over the bars in the woods some where because your back brake suddenly when to full ON. This wire also protects the brake master cyclinder hiding behind the frame right there.

The little EXTRA brake pedal thingy? I think its simply a guard for your boot to keep from melting/burning it on the pipe that seems just millimeters away - does it fold inward (towards the frame) or outward? If it folds inward, it would allow you to move around on the bike while standing and still have a bit of brake lever to stomp on - but it would also allow you to scorch your bootie. If it folds outward (towards the pedal), I haven't a clue. Notice the boot wear on the paint behind the peg.
I've seen/sat on/balanced one. that footpeg thing fold outwards to change the "height" of the pedal for different riding positions (well - that's what they told me).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
hotzuk

Great pics DJ

Post by hotzuk »

Hey DJ,

Once again, thanks for being the ultimate reporter of information. I think the thing that really is disappointing to me here in the USA is that I could never image BMW motorcycles doing an event like you so graciously documented. I realize that the US population is greater so picking the correct location would be key but I really admire them just inviting you guys in for the dog and pony show. Maybe I will relocate the family "down under" :)
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Nope...sorry

Different lever heights for sitting and standing.
Yep...spot on....check it out when you get to see one.

When your riding in the normal sit down possie..these bikes like to be ridden almost sitting on the tank..the rear brake pedal height needs to be just right..remember off road you use your rear brake much more.

But when your riding flat out standing on the pegs you usually hang your body weight way back it's a bit of a stretch with your right toes to use the rear brake..so they have this flip down thing that instantly raises it by about 1/2 an inch....BMW did good I think.
I suppose they weren't offering a Q & A moment
so we could probe for info on th R1200R or any other
surprising events that might be coming up !!!!!
I did ask about the new RR...all I got was big smiles....there's defiantly one coming...and it will be special...and not in the near future.

My guess is towards the end of 2006..a few guys now have hinted towards this.

They showed a graph of what BMW bikes do well and which don't..I think the GS was top for sure..the RR was in the middle.

I also expect BMW will have another go at a scooter...with that being a big market growth and BMW not having one.

I got one of the big bosses later on by himself...I told him that there's talk of no more RR's...he said..."heeey...are you kidding...can you imagine BMW not having a boxer roadster...I can't"..........another big smile.

DJ
marko
Basic User

Post by marko »

DJ, good job and although it was good to see the new bikes, the number of people made it uncomfortable. I don't like crowds and unfortunately, this was a very crowded event. I should have turned up at 9.30pm and it would have been perfect!!!

I gave up trying to have a look at the sale items and was a bit disappointed the tour of the training facility never eventuated.
(Whoever told BMW there would only be 150 there is a bit silly.......we get that to a normal meeting and blind freddy would have known there would be huge interest in a tour of BMW).

I was suprised at just how big the place was tucked away off Wellington Rd.
As a side note, i could not believe how flimsy the new panniers were ...and tiny....they had a pair on a K1200S.
r1150r.net Discerning discussion and BMW coffee
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Re the R1200R, DJ said,
My guess is towards the end of 2006..a few guys now have hinted towards this.
:smt023 :smt045
Dean-O
Member #33
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

I going right down to my dealer & putting a deposit down! New RR? Special? Damn right!

Hopefully it will be out in late 2006, but I'm guessing photos in 2006 (like the S) with the bike here around April 2007.

Works for me.

Is the R1200ST still to be imported to Australia, or is the US the only country not to get anymore?
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R