Land Speed Racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

darthrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Land Speed Racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats

Post by darthrider »

I first posted this as a reply to Dean-O in the "Fastest Indian" thread. But since things easily go un-noticed and slide down the page very quickly in "Off Topic" I thought I'd give this its' own thread. There seems to be some level of interest in Bonneville, hopefully more after people see "Fastest Indian".

And even Banned Members can go here, if not Post.

Anyhoo, these random thoughts come to mind about the Bonneville Salt Flats and the people who are drawn to them.

Surreal.
Goosebumps.
Other-worldly.
Almost frightening.
A true "Life Experience".
The way over-used "awesome".
Looks like the surface of the Moon...or Mars.
Most people's first visit reaction is nothing more than a long, quiet, open-mouthed stare.
The only place in the world where you can stand on the ground and see the curvature of the Earth.
Get to the pits before sunrise and just as the sun peaks over the horizon, for about 5 minutes you are treated to the vision of an ocean of sparkling diamonds.
The hair on your neck and arms standing on end when Al Teague's blown fuel streamliner disappears over the horizon, he hits 5th gear and the nitrous, then you see the big silver rooster-tail appear above the horizon as the ground begins to shake. And you hear the announcer say
"...434 MPH..." for a new World Record.
Then 30 minutes later he is in your pits congratulating your team for it's 250 MPH motorcycle run! Classy guy, Mr. Teague...
At mid-course you hear the distant howl of a blown roadster at 300 MPH and notice everyone has frozen in place and no one is talking.
Hot-cold-wet-dry-windy-still...all in the same hour.
One day the salt is so hard you need a sledge hammer to drive a spike into the surface. Next day on the same spot you can scoop it up and make "snowballs".
Small, 1/8th inch-deep "lakes" that travel around the vast surface, propelled by the breeze, only to disappear...and reappear...and disappear again.
A streamliner "pencil rolls" at 250 MPH and the shock, fear, concern and love for the driver hang in the air like rotten fog until the "OK" is given. Or not.
You stand where the fastest humans in history have stood.
You feel their presence very strongly.
650 MPH jet cars.
450 MPH piston engine cars.
340 MPH streamlined motorcycles.
260 MPH open motorcycles.
The "giant cars" of the 30's.
The small, hi-tech missles of the 21st century.
The traditional Hot Rods.
The Roadsters.
The Lakesters.
The Streamliners.
Nitro-Methane.
Methyl Alcohol.
Destroyed engines & dreams.
Horsepower.
Speed.
Danger.
Death.
Speed.
Speed records.
Elation.
The 200 MPH Club.
The 300 MPH Club.
Fast.
History.

Here are a few pics...I'm saving the "A" stuff for a Bonneville piece I'm planning...if we ever get a "Writer's Form" on here. I don't want to go to that much time & work for something that will slide to Page 43 of "Off Topic".
Don't worry, I won't hold my breath until then...it is very unlikely since Member's wishes count for zip on here. More likely to appear on another board or magazine.

The "Long, Lonesome Ride"...

Ol' Darthrider on a Good Day!

Al Teague's blown fuel streamliner.

"Floating Mountain" from the 10 Mile marker.

"Worm tunnels". Note curvature of horizon.

Denis Manning/S&S Cycle former Absolute Record holder.

Dave Campos and Easyriders streamliner...U.S Absolute Record holder.

The "Texas Ceegar"...1956 World Record holder

Old Triumph dry lakes warrior...

The Grand Daddy of all Bonneville motorcycle racers...Mr. Rollie Free, 1948, World Record run on famous "Bathing Suit Bike", the first Vincent Black Lightning Racer. Photo courtesy of current Owner/Curator, Mr. Herb Harris of Austin, Texas. Sorry for the tiny image. I have a large hi-res one with the "A group". Maybe *someday* we can see it on here.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Biff's R posted:
Neat pics darthrider.

Does the road there just stop at the edge of the salt, or is there a bit of pavement that goes onto the flats? Do you start the runs out in the middle or on the edge? I am just trying to get a visual in my mind, but hope to go out there someday.

Darth replied:
Jeff -
This is all BLM land and is protected by them.
There is a paved road that goes to the Salt, then stops. You typically drive about a mile out to the Pits, near the starting line.
There are usually two courses in a V configuration, the starting lnes being virtually adjacent.
One is the "Short Course" and is, I believe 4 miles long. The "Long Course" is, I believe 8 miles long. I may be a little off on the course lengths, I'd have to check the rule book to be sure, but you get the idea.
The Short Course usually heads straight towards "Floating Mountain" some 14 miles away. The Long Course heads more to the right of Floating Mtn. and has M-I-L-E-S of over run should a car lose it's chute or brakes.
When a "Super Fast" car like Al Teague's runs, they pull everybody WAY back from the start line and move Al back about 2 more miles behind the start line. They have to push his car well over 100 MPH to get it started. When he comes by the "start" line, he shifts to 2nd gear at ~195 MPH!!
What a show...
Dave

Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

While I was there a coupla of months ago, the pits were about 10 miles from the end of the road. You could not see the pits when you got on the salt and but for a little yellow marker every mile or so you could easily get lost finding the pits. For the motorcycle only week there was only one 10 mile course. The speed traps were one mile apart in the middle of the course and when I ran my ST I was at the rev limiter in 6th before the first mile marker and you stayed tucked in for the next 5 or 6 miles, I was able able to back off the throttle just enough to stay just before the limiter kicked in, a total full emotional absolute fully orgasimic maximum sensory over load experience for this old fart.

I'll be back for the motorcycle week again next year and we will attempt to set a speed record with the new R1200S, Maybe Bro Dave will be able to be up there as well.

The area is so vast that it is well beyond my ability to describe, you can easily get lost, I was on the K1200R Power Cup bike doing 1 mile diameter 140 MPH plus power slides and almost got lost, what a week.

Dave above gives a good indication of what it is like.
Dean-O
Member #33
geechie
Honorary Lifer

Post by geechie »

Man!

As a geology and natural history buff, just standing on the dried up remains of lake Bonneville would be an experience that I would cherish for the rest of my life.

As a gearhead, being on the salt with knowledge of its history of speed and everything that entails would probably push me over the edge. (My first trip to Daytona International Speedway, for instance, was surprisingly moving.)

To be on the salt with the men and machines that are still making history...

The mind boggles.

Thanks for letting me be there vicariously.

George
Member #191
Carpe momentum... y'all
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Geechie -
I was was going to go once only, just to say I'd done it and to see the show.
After being there about 15 minutes it was obvious to me I would be back...it is very addictive.
I've been there 7 times but can't go anymore because of a UV sensitive skin condition (Vitiligo). Now I'm just pissed every August & September.
Did you know the "Donner Party" crossed the flats, not too far from where the race course is?

Dean-O -
I know you're going again for Bub's bike only event, don't blame you one bit!
But if you evere get the chance go to the big World of Speed meetin in August. There are actually more bikes there and all the cars, usually 4-600 etrants.
Dave