600 mile service ?????

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Rethy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

600 mile service ?????

Post by Rethy »

I recently aquired a 2002R with 1400 miles and the previous owner changed the oil and filter at 600 miles. Nothing else was done. Winter here in Iowa and bike will not see any asphalt soon so I have too much time on my hands. Should I change the trans and shaft fluids? Do the valves need checked? Is a canesterectomy worth doing? The bike has a Two Brothers exhaust so will the bike improve power with a K&N air filter?Would the bike run too lean with the intake mod on top of the exhaust change it already has? What is the actual rear wheel horsepower on this bike? Specs say 85 but the new 1200 in the GS claims 83 RWHP. So it must be 85 at the crank? Anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks for replies.----------Rethy
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

get it to a dealer and have the 600mi service done. They re-tourqe the heads, check out play in the rear end. they also check out the fluids to see if everything is good....

Bill
whaycoc
Lifer

Post by whaycoc »

The 600 mile service is the ONE service that you should have a dealer do! Mainly, it is the first and only time you will need the heads re torqued!

Also, they will, or you can re place all fluids, tyranny, rear end, oil and filter - you could take it and just have them re torque the heads - but since they have the valve covers off already might as well have the valves checked - only a few minutes of service time.
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
Rethy
Basic User

600 mile service

Post by Rethy »

Dealers are a couple hours away and so far not very helpful. I should have added that I prefer to do my own maintenance. So the retorque of the heads, check valves and replace fluids will cover it? I was also concerned the throttle bodies may need a resynch. The left mirror comes loose from buzzing and thought maybe the resynch might help? Am I crazy or do I have to locktite the mirror?--------Rethy
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Lemme see, you say you acquired a 2002R with a mere 1400 miles.... and nothing else done in the last three/four years but an oil and filter change?!?!?

Should I change the trans and shaft fluids?
Sure why not..... and brake fluid too. That's a long time for a machine to sit around with the same (stagnant) life fluids.

Do the valves need checked?
New bike, a stranger as it's former owner, and you are left to wondering? Put yourself at ease by asking what the dealer advises when he performs the initial (overdue) 600 mile service.

Is a canesterectomy worth doing?
No, consider the canister a "cute" gizmo and leave it in place. It's not a crucial 'gizmo', but if you park it in an enclosed garage, it'll serve it's purpose.

The bike has a Two Brothers exhaust so will the bike improve power with a K&N air filter?
Opinions vary on this, to include those who believe the K&N will do more harm than good. Though I believe it did something for MY set-up, frankly it's fifty bucks better applied elsewhere.

Would the bike run too lean with the intake mod on top of the exhaust change it already has?
No.

What is the actual rear wheel horsepower on this bike?
About 74-76 horsepower to the rear wheel, almost perfect when you consider the impressive torque.

Anything else I should be concerned about?
You might give thought to replacing the tires, given that you don't know how long they sat around at the factory before they sat around on your new bike for the last several years.
Member #31
soggybottom
Basic User

Post by soggybottom »

Rethy, you mentioned your dealer was a few hrs away and wasn't worth the trip, if you can do a valve adjust you can tourqe the head bolts, the specs are here somewhere, a CD shop manual is available on ebay for $10. You have to loosen the bolts and then retorque to a spec and pattern that I don't have handy at this minute or I would post it.
whaycoc
Lifer

Post by whaycoc »

Pat is right on! Do what he suggests - all of it is easy to do - I can send you or post here the head torque procedure - nothing difficult at all if you are set on doing it yourself! I have procedures for almost all the other stuff you need to do - I can email it to you if you like.
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL