gps pda on a bike???

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

malcy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

gps pda on a bike???

Post by malcy »

Im looking @ a gps but want some advice on which one to go for please.
Im actually after 1 that will do gps,speed camera detection,play mp3,s & films for the kids in the car I will use it on the bike but I will keep it in the tankbag so any idea,s recomendations?

Or am I being a silly Ive no idea what each one can & cant do also where from?
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

Here ya go (Yes, it's a TABLET PC): Image

Of course, then you'll need to add the LED's so you've got "idiot lights"

The night photo was a test of the LED's. Couldn't find a daytime pic of the set up.

P
hotzuk

GPS Recommendation

Post by hotzuk »

Well, many people go for Garmin. I have the Garmin 276C and like it very much. I use a RAM mount on the handlebar. Check out the http://www.advrider.com website. They often have many discussion on GPS on their website.
Bjorn
Basic User

GPS

Post by Bjorn »

Take a look at the TomTom rider - looks promising!
01 R1150R / Atlanta Blue
Bjorn Halvorsen
Oslo / Norway
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Lion Lady! Don't they make a bigger screen for that? :lol: :twisted: :lol:
JCsman
Lifer

Post by JCsman »

Boxer wrote:Lion Lady! Don't they make a bigger screen for that? :lol: :twisted: :lol:
:lol: Yeah, that's the ticket. Plus, just a couple of inches bigger, add a laminar lip and she might be able to remove the shield and still have wind protection!

I've never seen a set up like that. Makes me ashamed of my "pocket" sized GPS...... Hey Santa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Bill #438, Lifetime
If I'm going to grow up, I'd better hurry.....oh well.
Lion_Lady
Basic User

Post by Lion_Lady »

Actually, thats NOT my bike. That uberfarkled beast belongs to a fellow BMWBMW club member who rides an 1100GS.

My Rockster has a 276C in a Touratech (non-locking) mount on a RAM arm, like THIS:

On the left side is my XM Roady II, and my cell phone... all linked up to my Autocom Pro 7 unit.

I LOVE the 276C.

P
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

I've been playing with a Garmin Nuvi and I love it. It only hits two of your goals - gps and mp3, but it also does audio books and has a translation dictionary capability. I really like it..the best part about it is that its REALLY small - 1/2 the size of a tomtom... here is a link:

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/
Member #1
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Just being the devil's advocate........I am personally fully ocuppied with the perilous conditions that face a motorbike rider, adverse weather conditions, other drivers and the truly stupid and ignorant.......Ooops, I meant to say those that should have never been issued a license.....

I don't want my attention diluted by the worry of tending to a GPS, MP3, telephone, etc.....no offense to those that partake of these technical innovations, but quite frankly, once I get on the bike all my senses shift into high accuity, with the thought that I'm going to be looking for everythig humanly possible that will prevent my safe return.

Yes, I can possibly be labeled a dinosaur, but I trailer to the events, because I want to enjoy my time there and feel that I have less possibility of a breakdown....besides I usually trailer 1000+ miles and my time is limited. I have also taken the task of leading rides and venturing about, If I don't know the area, I arrive a day earlier and survey the road surface and conditions, and will partially ride one or more of the planned rides, both in the interest of equipment and adverse conditions checks.

My time goes to bike preparation for the purported ride, those that know me can attest that my ride is "always in a state of flux", which I enjoy inmensely, when time permits.

You see, the above is my viewpoint and it doesn't affect any what is your position on the subject matter, I just wanted to share mine with the readers........... :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
GeoffJ
Basic User

Post by GeoffJ »

If I don't ride my bike to a motorcycle event I don't go. I'm looking into a GPS and a universal mount, so I can easily move the GPS from one bike to another.
'96 BMW R1100R
'05 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

that's what I do GeoffJ.
My Garmin StreetPilot goes on my bike, and in my auto.

Cyclegadgets has all the stuff for mounting.

Garmin is about to release a new 2710 model with Mp3, XM Radio and XM Nav Traffic and Weather.

too pricey for me though, but it's as close to the holy grail bike gadget I have seen.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
huffergasen
Basic User

Post by huffergasen »

Lowrance Electronics also makes a GPS for bikes; it was reviewed in the most current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News and got a high reccomendation.
JerryTreeXprt
Basic User

Post by JerryTreeXprt »

I just got the Garmin 2610 at Costco for $499. Pretty good deal for a brand new unit. Yeah, I know it's last year's model, but what can I say, I'm stuck in the past (actually I just don't feel like dumping more $$$ into an electronic map/electronic device media center. I don't really need all the whoop-dingie bells and whistles and I think I'd prefer to ride without radio or cell phone. I've got it, but I can't open it till Sunday. I'll let you know what I think then.

Garmin 2610 for $499 The 2720 is only $750 after discount
StreetPilot i3 is $289 after discount
solitario11
Basic User

TOM TOM

Post by solitario11 »

I believe tom tom make one for motorcycles now, most do search and see and I just swith to NEXTEL and they have a GPS servise they provide right thru you phone, I dont know how practical that would be on abike but I ordered and if it suck just cancel
Rafael
R1150R k4
V-STAR 1100 k6
Valley Cottage NY
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

JerryTreeXprt wrote:I just got the Garmin 2610 at Costco for $499. Pretty good deal for a brand new unit. Yeah, I know it's last year's model, but what can I say, I'm stuck in the past (actually I just don't feel like dumping more $$$ into an electronic map/electronic device media center. I don't really need all the whoop-dingie bells and whistles and I think I'd prefer to ride without radio or cell phone. I've got it, but I can't open it till Sunday. I'll let you know what I think then.

Garmin 2610 for $499 The 2720 is only $750 after discount
StreetPilot i3 is $289 after discount
That is a really good deal. Thanks.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Lion_Lady
Basic User

Post by Lion_Lady »

Yeah, boxermania, I hear what you're saying. I used to think the same thing.

But the GPS has proven a very handy tool to have in the toolbox. I can zoom in to 500 feet and get a 'preview' of unfamiliar curves. Helps me enusre I'm not coming into a turn too hot, etc. Only takes a flick of a glance to see the profile of an upcoming curve. (I would NOT consider doing that on, for instance, Deals Gap. Too many curves in tight succession.)

I can take a road that looks interesting and the GPS will always get me home again. I can find a gas station when I need one, or McD's or even lodging.

P
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

nah, i'd rather unfurl my map at 80mph!!!! It sure takes practice!!!!

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
solitario11
Basic User

I ask SANTA

Post by solitario11 »

I ask SANTA for a TOM TOM and he email me that not with my JOB.
Rafael
R1150R k4
V-STAR 1100 k6
Valley Cottage NY