Judd The Wonder Dog and The Roadster's New Little Friend

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Judd The Wonder Dog and The Roadster's New Little Friend

Post by Boxer »

Today was very warm most of the day and was supposed to be cloudy, however the clouds didn't really start moving in until about 1:00 so that gave us some time to piddle around outside and ride the bikes a little.

A few weeks ago we went and got Sparky a new Suzuki 650 S40 (used to be the Savage) cruiser type bike for her to learn on. She's been happy cruising around the neighborhood with her new MC license and is just about to venture out onto the roads with actual traffic. The Roadster seems to be happy with a new little asian friend to keep her company.

Oh yes I almost forgot about the other part of this post.
Yesterday we had a little "incident" involving Judd the Wonder dog.

Judd is almost 11 years old and is a long time family pet since early puppyhood. Judd also has this annoying habit of licking everybody he sees. Well, we had a big session of Christmas preparation for the grandkids (there's 21 of them) the last couple of days and it involved making 21 little cloth treasure bags for each grandchild and filling them with mini toys and candy treats plus a little geld. We had all the stuff laid out on the floor of the TV room, working diligently over the last three days assembling bags.

Apparently, Judd the Wonder dog could not help himself and was overcome with desire for chocolate kisses that were strewn all over the place. Now I know that chocolate is one of the worst things a dog can eat, but Judd doesn't know this. In another room yesterday we found the little scraps of colored foil wrappers where something or someone had helped themselves to some kisses. We didn't really put it all together until this morning when Judd the Wonder Dog made the most "wonderfully" large piles of really smelly stuff, laced with the telling colored foil bits, underneath the living room coffee table.

He seems to be recuperating fine this afternoon with a diet of water the last 8 hrs. And hopefully the incident won't mar his Christmas joy.

Now we know one more important thing about Judd. In addition to not being able to hold his "licker" he also loves to steal kisses.

Man's best friend. You gotta love'em.
kbc68
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by kbc68 »

Glad to see you were able to take advantage of your warm weather.
That S40 would certainly be a great starter bike glad everything went well.

We have Soft coated Wheaton terrier she's about 7 years now, the
chocolate thing has happened to us a few times . The keen smell must
be just unbearable for them times especially when something smells SOOOO GOOOD ! :smt110
2004 Silver R1150R abs

KeV !
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Boxer, Great story, "21" GRANDchildern now that is Christmas!!, I have always had a warm spot for the "650 Savage" A few years ago a friend of mine had one, a real fun bike to ride. This bike has some real dedicated followers. Again Great, Great write up, Merry Christmas, Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
wncbmw
Lifer

grandkids

Post by wncbmw »

21! Dang Phil! Lots of grandkids to spoil!

I never knew what the attraction was in grandkids until I started approaching the time in life when it could happen. All the fun, less of the work! Now I see the light! :P

And dogs become the child substitute. :lol:

Nice 2nd bike, BTW.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295

Post by Guest »

I’m not suggesting that you are not but would like to warn everyone to take chocolate poisoning very seriously.

Chocolate can be lethal to pets because it contains theobromine which causes increased heart rate, central nervous system stimulation and constriction of arteries. Clinical symptoms range from vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and excitability to cardiac failure, seizures and death. This can occur as quickly as four to six hours after ingestion. Baking chocolate is the worst because it contains the highest amount of theobromine. A potential lethal dose is only one pound of chocolate in a 16-pound dog. If your pet has gotten into chocolate you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

Also poisonous: Alcoholic beverages, Apple seeds, Apricot pits, Avocados, Cherry pits, Candy containing the sweetener Xylitol, Coffee, Hops, Macadamia nuts, Moldy foods, Mushroom plants, Mustard seeds, Onions and onion powder, Peach pits, Potato leaves and stems, Raisins, Grapes, Rhubarb leaves, Salt, Tea (caffeine), Tomato leaves and stems (green parts), Walnuts, Yeast dough
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Also poisonous: Alcoholic beverages, Apple seeds, Apricot pits, Avocados, Cherry pits, Candy containing the sweetener Xylitol, Coffee, Hops, Macadamia nuts, Moldy foods, Mushroom plants, Mustard seeds, Onions and onion powder, Peach pits, Potato leaves and stems, Raisins, Grapes, Rhubarb leaves, Salt, Tea (caffeine), Tomato leaves and stems (green parts), Walnuts, Yeast dough
Yeah, I hear where you're coming from. One time I woke up at 4AM to the TV blaring, and that damn Judd the Wonder dog was swilling Heinekens and eating macadamia nuts by the pawful. I panicked and tried to get some coffee into him before I realized that was also a mistake.

I think it was about then that I started calling him the "Wonder Dog".

And to think...he lost his own nuts a long time ago. I wonder if the same operation will make me as invincible as that little guy.
Bud
Basic User

Post by Bud »

I had a Lab-Wiemer cross that ate a pine tree. I'm not kidding. That damn dog was the best hunter I ever had but you couldn't turn your back on him.

I had finished planting a 5' tall pine tree (dug the hole, put in the soil amendments, water etc, etc). All the time this was going on old Smoky lay on the grass and watched me. I never gave it a thought. :shock:

About two hours later I saw the bare top of a pine tree pass across the window in the back yard. At first I couldn't figure out what I had just seen so I went out into the back yard and there he had what was left of the dug-up pine tree, mostly bare branches. I took the "remains" away from him and called the vet. The vet asked me if the dog was in any pain, rolling around or vomiting. I told him "no" and he said to watch the dog and call him if anything serious started happening. Nothing happened, Smoky ate his dinner (after pawing and begging) and I thought that was the end of it. :roll:

Anyhow the next day was Sunday and I went out to the backyard and there was Smoky all humped-up and making small barking sounds while he passed something that looked like an elongated brown prickly pear. He was fine afterwards; he and I sort of wandered around while he passed two more..man that had to hurt. He lived to a ripe old age, no harm done :lol:

I know some dog owners are probably wondering if I was neglectful but it was thirty years ago, people knew less and if you knew how big this dog was you'd probably understand he pretty much did what he wanted to.

Bud
Member #296
"Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx
JToole
Basic User

Post by JToole »

A potential lethal dose is only one pound of chocolate in a 16-pound dog.
Isn't eating 1/16th of your own weight in chocolate lethal to people, too? :roll:
ljasonb
Basic User

Post by ljasonb »

Sorry, I'm the guest above.
ljasonb
Basic User

Post by ljasonb »

JToole wrote:
A potential lethal dose is only one pound of chocolate in a 16-pound dog.
Isn't eating 1/16th of your own weight in chocolate lethal to people, too? :roll:
I dunno about people but I think you're missing my point which is pretty common over this issue hence why I raised the warning in the first place. What I'm suggesting is that a pound of chocolate, even if consumed over the course of a lifetime, is enough to kill a pooch. So yes, if he ate 3/4 of a pound 5 years ago and last week ate 1/4 pound the net effect could kill him.
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

What about bananas? Date/nut bread? Cheese quesadillas?

My dog, a 70+ lb Boxer (see left), has eaten all of these and more at various points in her two years of life.

Her diet is 95% Science Diet dog food. The problem is that she is so good at sneaking stuff off of the kitchen counter. More training is needed, of course, but she is quick and quiet. she is also large enough that she can easily steal something in a flash.

Last week, my wife had four sticks of butter on the counter. She left them there to warm up. They were for making Christmas cookies.

A short while later, there were only three sticks of butter. There was no evidence of any crime, no paw prints, not even the paper wrapper. She ate the evidence.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74