Shifting from neutral

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

grt1500
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Shifting from neutral

Post by grt1500 »

I am having some problems shifting from neutral on my (almost) new Rockster. About half the time I get solid engagement into first.

The other half it will not shift out of neutral into first or second unless I engange and disengage the clutch once or twice. Then it shifts into first just fine.

Has anyone else had this experience ? the bike is still under warrenty so should I bring it in ?
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

"They all do that." :D

Seriously though, they do. If the transmission shift dogs spin down into the wrong position when you stop, you can't move them easily with the shift pedal; they're nowhere near the grooves they are supposed to slip into. Solution is to move the gear train by rocking the bike forward or backward a few inches, or to release the clutch a bit as you shift, to get the shafts moving, so the dogs can catch as the grooves slip by. (I hope I'm being clear...)

Use the 'search' function; you'll find a few threads on this question.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
grt1500
Basic User

Post by grt1500 »

Thanks NoRRmad, that makes me feel better.

That was also normal with some two stroke motocrossers I had back in the day. I didn't think BMW's would do that too.
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

I think it's a strength trade-off. You can make a transmission easier to shift by beveling the dogs or widening the grooves, but that weakens the gear train.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
mdouglas
Basic User

Post by mdouglas »

If you hold the clutch in for more than a second or so at stationary, you will struggle to engage first. If you get into the habit of leaving the clutch lever out whilst in Neutral and only pulling the clutch in immediately prior to first gear engagement, you should find that it will go in first time, every time. Before long, it becomes habit and you won't even notice that there was an issue.

As stated above, sitting in neutral with the clutch pulled in (e.g. waiting for the traffic lights to go green) allows the gear box internals to spin down to stationary, making it very difficult to engage first.
leno

Post by leno »

mdouglas wrote:If you hold the clutch in for more than a second or so at stationary, you will struggle to engage first. If you get into the habit of leaving the clutch lever out whilst in Neutral and only pulling the clutch in immediately prior to first gear engagement, you should find that it will go in first time, every time. Before long, it becomes habit and you won't even notice that there was an issue.

As stated above, sitting in neutral with the clutch pulled in (e.g. waiting for the traffic lights to go green) allows the gear box internals to spin down to stationary, making it very difficult to engage first.
My question would be why would you have the clutch pulled in and be in neutral. That way you are disengaged twice when once will do. I'm a one or the other but never both.
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

Yep. Either sit with the clutch pulled in and the gear engaged (as in keeping an eye on the rear view mirror for that vehicle that doesn't want to stop) or sit with the neutral position and clutch out. I can't see why any logical being would want to sit with the gear in neutral and the clutch in. That makes no sense to me.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

When I first got my R1150R almost 3 years ago (I had only owned Asian bikes before) I experienced the same thing. Slam Slam, using the same methods like I was trouncing on my Honda.

To paraphrase a member here then, "it's all in the technique"... (Pat strikes again!)

When the red light turns green, LIGHTLY and Gently push down on the shifter, as you slowly ease out the clutch and give it light throttle. It will grab and stick everytime.

first couple of times may get jumpy as you refine the 3 related metrics (Clutch, Gear, Gas).

It's a touch you will get as you get the throttle feel down. In no time you will be experiencing smooth 'take-offs' full of torque....

Now if you want first gear and you are stopped, use the same technique.
Light pressure down on the shifter, ease out the clutch a little.

Just another way to say "They all do that!"
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
mdouglas
Basic User

Post by mdouglas »

I guess no one sits holding the clutch in whilst in Neutral but I certainly used to fall in the trap of anticipating the traffic light change or gap in the traffic, pulling the clutch in, then waiting for the actual light change before dropping the bike into gear. I soon discovered that if you do this then it doesn't drop into gear. So my point was that you should only pull the clutch in when you are going to follow up immediately with a gear shift into first.

I'm always worried by the "preload the shift lever" type advice that pervades every Boxer related forum. I have had 4 Boxers now and have never had to do this. A straightforward regime of clutch fully in, engage gear, clutch fully out has worked on all 4, and the gearboxes have all been as sweet as a nut. "Preload the gear shift" to me means "apply unnecessary forces inside the gearbox which will be relieved when you pull the clutch in". There's no way that a gearbox is designed to require that mode of operation. I find the whole idea that smooth gear changing on a Boxer being an "Art form" a bit odd.