How chuffed!

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Faceplant
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

How chuffed!

Post by Faceplant »

Picked up my edn 80 on the weekend and put a few miles in even though bl**dy freezing here in Wales.

First impressions are - why don't more peeps ride these bikes? Handles, pulls like a train up to the ton, beutifully made, and quite cheap now...Before the test ride I was given a long telling to by the dealer - "its a bit lumpy, strange suspension, torque reaction" - what b*ll*cks, I was truly overawed by the machine and bought it there and then.

Probably won't mess with the exaust but would like a bit more comfort (low seat too close to pegs) and to sort out the suspension - bit soft and harsh at the same time if you know what I mean...
mdouglas
Basic User

Post by mdouglas »

Welcome. Some advice from a fellow UK Ed80 rider (that rides it all year round):

1) don't touch the tank with polish - it's a matte finish and goes shiny if you polish it - even if you try and do it lightly.

2) keep the fork legs and fork bridges coated with a film of WD40, ACF50 or equivalent. A quick wipe with a soaked rag after you wash it will suffice. Most of us has some of these bits replaced due to corrosion.

3) The front brake calipers need periodic cleaning if you ride through the winter. Despite being branded BMW they are in fact rather cheap Tokico items that fur up internally and cause the pads to bind. Easy job to strip and clean though.

4) Get some stainless fasteners on it. The standard ones corrode pretty readily. A user by the name of Steptoe over on the UKGSER forum does a GS kit (which meets all the needs of the Rockster) for not a lot of money (significantly cheaper than retail sources).

5) Get the standard pipe and catalyst swapped out for a Remus Revolution. Fully eMarked, road legal system that really enhances the character of the bike. You can feel that the bike is breathing better and no changes are required to fuelling etc. My dealer habitually fits these systems to their demonstrator bikes.

6) The GS handguards are an easy fit and add some welcome shelter from the winter blast on your hands.

I'm with you in not understanding why this bike didn't catch on in a bigger way. An absolute steal as a second hand machine.
toner87

Post by toner87 »

A seat option I'd consider is the Sargent seat. The Sargent seat is wider, which raises the knees into a better position and gives a lot better support. The stock seat KILLED my butt after even the shortest of rides. I can go 300 miles on the Sargent w/out thinking about it....

I've got some pics of the Sargent on the bike as well as a touring windshield at this URL:

http://cliffromig.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/71180

Enjoy that bike!

T.
Ed.80 #698
San Francisco, CA, USA
grt1500
Basic User

Post by grt1500 »

Forgive my ignorance but i have to ask: what is an "edn 80" ?

Glenn
Last edited by grt1500 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faceplant
Basic User

Post by Faceplant »

'Edition 80' it is the white Rockster special to celebrate 80 years of Boxer twins in 2003. Check out Toner's pics. No difference as far as I can tell from other Rocks but has ABS and heated grips as standard. Apparently they turn cream in the sun according to other threads on this forum which is a bit alarming!
mdouglas
Basic User

Post by mdouglas »

Mine stands out in the streets of London all day after I have commuted in. There has been no tank discolouration so I wouldn't worry too much. Mine did discolour when the fuel expanded on a hot day and rather than go down the overflow tube, started seeping out over the tank. I had a brown spider like pattern with the fuel filler cap in the middle. Had it replaced under warranty (which also meant the slightly shiny tank from polishing was replaced with a nice new matte one).
toner87

Post by toner87 »

No discoloration on ,y white tank... But I am getting a little corrosion on the front fork....
t.
rearro
Basic User

Post by rearro »

Has anyone tried some kind of polish that has some type of uv block in it?
I tried this stuff that I bought at the county fair one year and it really doesn't shine up the matte look... I thought that was cool! :P , But I haven't had my bike long enough to know if it's going to keep it from fadding or turn a diffrent color!! :?:
04' R1150R Edition 80, 136/2003