Top Box for the r 1150 r

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bjorn
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Top Box for the r 1150 r

Post by Bjorn »

I sold my Kawasaki W 650 (1999) and my veteran Jawa 250 Six Days Special (1960) last year.

In August I bought a BMW R 1150 R 2001 with 20.000 km on the clock. On the Norwegian market these machines are standard equipped with a speedster - screen, ABS brakes and heated steering.

I also have two plastic boxes and a soft bag and input for battery charging.

It is a great machine and I want to go for vacation in the Norwegian mountains during the summer months.

I think I need a bigger platstic top - box as a replacement for the soft bag. Do you have any suggestions?

How do you enclose all your nice pictures?
01 R1150R / Atlanta Blue
Bjorn Halvorsen
Oslo / Norway
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Bjorn! LOVE the bowtie dude.
Great bike. Welcome to the board.
houndog
Basic User

Post by houndog »

I can't help you with the pictures, but the top box I can.
Givi makes several great cases for our bikes at a resonable price. You can find them on the web.

Tommy
Lifes a garden, DIG IT.
chris
Basic User

Re: Top Box for the r 1150 r

Post by chris »

Bjorn wrote: How do you enclose all your nice pictures?
Hi Bjorn,
Post the image on a host site first, there are lots of free ones around.
Click the 'img' button, insert the weblink to your picture then click 'img' again and your picture should appear. Lets see it!
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
munchmeister
Basic User

Post by munchmeister »

houndog wrote:I can't help you with the pictures, but the top box I can.
Givi makes several great cases for our bikes at a resonable price. You can find them on the web.

Tommy
Is Givi the only hard top box solution for the R? Has anybody ever crafted their own hardware and mounted something like a Pelican case? I'm lookin' for somewhere to store expensive DSLR camera gear that I can get to easily as I hop off the bike and the Pelicans are almost indestructible (in case of a get-off or something).

Any ideas out there? I know there are tons on Advrider, etc., but was hopin' there might be some creative R riders.
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
'04 R1150R - R.I.P. 4/29/07
houndog
Basic User

Post by houndog »

I have seen someone on this board make a luggage shelf out of a piece of T1 aluminum. It looked really sturdy like you could mount a pelican case on. I don't think that it would be that hard if you were ingenius enough. Thats part of the fun of a naked bike. :D
Tommy
Lifes a garden, DIG IT.
DG02
Basic User

Hepco & Becker

Post by DG02 »

I have a Hepco & Becker 'Journey' 50 litre top box which I like mostly because it looks like it is an OEM BMW item. In fact, a BMW roundel fits into the space for the H&B logo. It's large enough to hold two helmets and is very well made.

Look at: http://www.hepco-becker.de/
Dave
Member #2
Board #1
MIXR
Basic User

Top Box

Post by MIXR »

I had my own mounting system for a small Givi, but it just wasn't strong enough. Ended up fitting a full Givi Frame and 45 litre box for a big trip (departing tomorrow morning!). Very solid, strong etc, and is the best solution I've seen so far.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

munchmeister wrote:Is Givi the only hard top box solution for the R? Has anybody ever crafted their own hardware and mounted something like a Pelican case? I'm lookin' for somewhere to store expensive DSLR camera gear that I can get to easily as I hop off the bike and the Pelicans are almost indestructible (in case of a get-off or something).

Any ideas out there? I know there are tons on Advrider, etc., but was hopin' there might be some creative R riders.
I've attached a pelican case to my R for my digital SLR. Not pretty...but the best way to protect your gear.

They come in all shapes and sizes. Mine fits a camera with two lenses surrounded by foam.

And if I need even more storage, I've mounted the Givi base plate to the top of the pelican case.
munchmeister
Basic User

Post by munchmeister »

taosports wrote: I've attached a pelican case to my R for my digital SLR. Not pretty...but the best way to protect your gear.
Tao:
Now THATS what I'm talking about ! :smt023 Can you give me a little more info on what you used to attach the Pelican? Is it attached to the BMW rack? What model is the Pelican you used? I use a KM 7D with the VC-7D vertical grip/batt pack, which makes the camera a 6in x 6in x 6in monster. Most of the Pelicans are too shallow for that unless you go way to big (IMHO) on the size of the case. As much as I hate to do it, I might have to use it without the grip, so the camera height measures more like 4.25in and I can keep some protection on top and bottom of the camera.

Anyway, thanks for posting those pics. :smt038 Nice bike, BTW.
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Munchmeister :

I used a kitchen cutting board to attach the Pelican case to the BMW rack assembly...seriously!

See this previous thread for details :
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?p ... ght=#52973

The case I use is a Pelican 1450. With a 6 inch interior depth, you'll probably want a deeper model for your KM 7D.

http://www.pelican.com/
NorseMan9
Basic User

Re: Hepco & Becker

Post by NorseMan9 »

DG02 wrote:I have a Hepco & Becker 'Journey' 50 litre top box which I like mostly because it looks like it is an OEM BMW item. In fact, a BMW roundel fits into the space for the H&B logo. It's large enough to hold two helmets and is very well made.

These look really nice! I found the following link for a US distributor. Any reason why you went with the 50L rather than smaller?

http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/form ... _brand=all
Erik (a.k.a. Norseman9)
Lexington, MA

2002 R1150R (black, the only color)
Yankee Beemers
Bjorn
Basic User

Top box

Post by Bjorn »

Hi everybody and thanks for your advices. Givi and Hepco & Becker are represented in Norway. I'll find a dealer in the Oslo area.[/url]
01 R1150R / Atlanta Blue
Bjorn Halvorsen
Oslo / Norway
DG02
Basic User

H&B

Post by DG02 »

Norseman9;

The 50 litre isn't that much bigger than the 40, but it easily holds two helmets, where the 40 won't. I usually only have it on the bike when travelling two up. I got the back rest for it and my wife finds it very comfortable. It's usually empty when we're on the move, and it gives us a place to stash our stuff when we're off the bike.
Dave
Member #2
Board #1
munchmeister
Basic User

Post by munchmeister »

NorseMan9 wrote:
DG02 wrote:I have a Hepco & Becker 'Journey' 50 litre top box which I like mostly because it looks like it is an OEM BMW item. In fact, a BMW roundel fits into the space for the H&B logo. It's large enough to hold two helmets and is very well made.

These look really nice! I found the following link for a US distributor. Any reason why you went with the 50L rather than smaller?

http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/form ... _brand=all
NorseMan9: I'm curious as to how these top boxes attach to the R. I have system cases and the OEM/BMW rear tail rack and wonder if these HB Journey top cases have a rack or system for attachment that is compatible with the BMW tail rack. This big top box would allow me to fit foam padding into the case for my digital camera equipment as well as some other stuff I will be needing on an extended trip in late summer. Any info appreciated !!
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
DG02
Basic User

Post by DG02 »

There is a dedicated Hepco & Becker
rack that attaches to the BMW side case mounts in place of the BMW rear rack, H&B p/n 650.632.0101. An alternative is to use the rack that is designed for the R1150GS. It can be attached to the top of the R1150r rack.
Last edited by DG02 on Thu May 18, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Member #2
Board #1
Yellowjacket Charlie

1550 pelican rear case

Post by Yellowjacket Charlie »

Here's my rear case option:

Pelican 1550 case mounted to "$30 Do-it Yourself R1150R Rack" printed in June 2005 BMW ON issue. :)

The rack is made of black King Starboard (marine plactic material) and mounted to system case rails. I use the case to hold camera/video equipment, but based on size I think it could hold cook kit, stove and maybe small tent, etc.

Yellowjacket Charlie

Post by Yellowjacket Charlie »

This is the rack, you can make it any size, and you don't need the stock BMW rear rack as a base, just the system case rails. :D

munchmeister
Basic User

Post by munchmeister »

DG02 wrote:There is a dedicated Hepco & Becker
rack that attaches to the BMW side case mounts in place of the BMW rear rack, H&B p/n 650.632.0101. An alternative is to use the rack that is designed for the R1150GS. It can be attached to the top of the R1150r rack.
Thanks to your posts, I was able to find this and it looks like it would work great. For my purposes, packing a large digital SLR camera and other stuff, I need something with depth and the H&B top cases offer something I could not find in the Pelican cases. While the Pelicans are superb cases, it is hard to find one with enough height/depth to accomodate a DSLR like mine which is about 6x6x6 inches in dimensions. The H&B cases are pretty nice lookin', too.
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
NorseMan9
Basic User

Post by NorseMan9 »

NorseMan9: I'm curious as to how these top boxes attach to the R. I have system cases and the OEM/BMW rear tail rack and wonder if these HB Journey top cases have a rack or system for attachment that is compatible with the BMW tail rack. This big top box would allow me to fit foam padding into the case for my digital camera equipment as well as some other stuff I will be needing on an extended trip in late summer. Any info appreciated !!
No idea. I was just asking about them. I don't have anything on the back yet but these looked really good.[/quote]
Erik (a.k.a. Norseman9)
Lexington, MA

2002 R1150R (black, the only color)
Yankee Beemers