R1150R vs. Ohio State Police

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Harry
Basic User

Post by Harry »

Hey, thanks for the positive comments about my writing. I enjoyed trying to put you guys right there with me. And judging from some of your feedback, it looks like I got an even luckier break than I had first realized!
http://www.toddlaneart.com/motorcycle
ebiker
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by ebiker »

Kevin50r wrote:I'm a cop. I can't speak for all of 'em 'cause their human beings and everyone of them is different. I'll treat you with respect, no matter how you treat me. But attitude is important for everyone and I have the latitude to issue a citation or a warning. So far they haven't taken away that right. I'm glad your outcome was so positive. If you're ever in my area look me up!
My ex used to drive a 26 mile commute each work day and like many women running late :) , would greatly exceed the posted speed limit.

At least once a month she was clocked by a Pennsylvania State Trooper and only given a warning! She would flash a big smile, show a little boob and generally flirt with the male State Trooper. Then brag about it to me when she got home.

Finally my ex was clocked speeding with radar operated by a female State Trooper.

Ex was pi$$ed--got a $240 fine and three points.

It made my day!!

Ed..
I'm outta' here!
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Biff's R wrote:The Ohio Highwway Patroll has been on a big campaign agaiinst speeding here the last cople of weeks. Last Thursday I saw 7 troopers in 40 miles on my way to work.
Probably an outcome from holding the bash in Ohio this year. What state are we terrorizing next year?
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
mechanic savant
Basic User

Post by mechanic savant »

I'm with houndog on this one the lizard has been supplying "geico guns" for quite a time now ..glad you ran into an easy going leo sounds like he did his job (to slow you down) effectively & apparently It made quite an impression on you ..courtesey & respect seem to work well w/most leo's ..as for the lizard they're cold blooded and out for food=$$$$$ :roll:
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Harry--

Great writing skills! I almost felt like I was standing there in your place. Tremendous!

I agree with some of the others----be straight with the Trooper and tell the truth.
Two years ago I got my first ticket in over 20 yrs doing about 25 over on my r. Carelessness on my part---Accepted the ticket and went to court. Had I tried to weasel my way out of it in court I would have paid the price. I admitted my mistake with no excuses----Judge dismissed the ticket and thanked me for my honesty.

Wayne
LonestaRR

Post by LonestaRR »

At least once a month she was clocked by a Pennsylvania State Trooper and only given a warning! She would flash a big smile, show a little boob and generally flirt with the male State Trooper. Then brag about it to me when she got home.

:smt075
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

Ebiker

Your EX....
Man...She had some ISSUES! Even if she did do the flashy flashy thing....(Which I highly doubt)....she had some gall to brag to her partner about it.

She was after your goat...I bet she got it.

Do the crime, pay the time. Cops are out there for all of us. We just don't like being caught being stooooopid!
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!
Harry
Basic User

Post by Harry »

Yea, police do want the roads to be safe, but lets not totally BS ourselves here. Speed limits (especially on our interstates) are often unreasonably low so that local and federal governments can make money via speeding tickets. Police work is not *all* noble protection of the public.

81 MPH is NOT too fast on a straight, flat road with good visibility. If I had been doing 65 (the posted limit), I would have run the risk of being run down!

And we've ALL seen police officers regularly breaking the law by "speeding."

Who *doesn't* feel like an idiot when they're stuck in a bottle-neck of traffic because a police officer is behind a car who is then forced to drive 35mph out of respect for the "law."

Police do a lot of important work. But I don't think that speed traps are part of it.
Kevin50r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Kevin50r »

I've got to agree with Harry on that last post. We even used to have a name for someone going artificially slow due to a cruiser behind them-cruiser-itis!
I've been delayed on responding to calls that didn't justify a light and siren approach because an over cautious driver slowed to the speed limit or below. I personally don't like issueing citations for speed because I don't think it is the cause of most accidents. I think fail to yeild and fail to control better describe most accidents and speed, when excessive contributes to more damage/injury.
Member #363

2005 DL-650
2013 XT-1200Z
Kevin
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

Harry wrote:Yea, police do want the roads to be safe, but lets not totally BS ourselves here. Speed limits (especially on our interstates) are often unreasonably low so that local and federal governments can make money via speeding tickets. Police work is not *all* noble protection of the public.

81 MPH is NOT too fast on a straight, flat road with good visibility. If I had been doing 65 (the posted limit), I would have run the risk of being run down!

And we've ALL seen police officers regularly breaking the law by "speeding."

Who *doesn't* feel like an idiot when they're stuck in a bottle-neck of traffic because a police officer is behind a car who is then forced to drive 35mph out of respect for the "law."

Police do a lot of important work. But I don't think that speed traps are part of it.
I have to agree (but not all cops are the same). I have heard some alleged inside info that they will perform "zero tolerance" days and will ticket if even over the speed limit by 3mph. This all in the name of safety? Revenue, perhaps. In the summer of '04, I was coming home from a ride to Colorado. I got off the freeway in Utah (posted: 75mph) to take a relaxing scenic ride on their less-traveled roads. Just outside Cedar City, UT, a Mormon Highway Patrol heading in the opposite direction spun a u-ey and pulled me over. I was enjoying the scenery along the newly paved highway, where I counted maybe 6 cars in the previous 15 minutes. I'd occasionally check the speedo to keep my speed in check, as it had a tendency to rise. But, I was pulled over having been clocked at appx 65mph in a 55mph zone. I was in full leathers and helmet; I advocate safe and courteous motorcycling. Never mind that the highway could have supported similar speeds as their interstates, I was making an effort to keep it as posted. Hah, the revenue patrol accomplished what they set out to do.
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

Kevin50r wrote:I've got to agree with Harry on that last post. We even used to have a name for someone going artificially slow due to a cruiser behind them-cruiser-itis!
I've been delayed on responding to calls that didn't justify a light and siren approach because an over cautious driver slowed to the speed limit or below. I personally don't like issueing citations for speed because I don't think it is the cause of most accidents. I think fail to yeild and fail to control better describe most accidents and speed, when excessive contributes to more damage/injury.
Cops are human, and in this case I like Kevin50r's thinking. Speed in itself does not cause the accident, but the media rarely tells you that. It may contribute, but other factors are at hand. Difference in velocity (delta v) where a vehicle is moving faster than the flow. Speeding while DUI or DWI. Weaving. Tailgating. Distractions (e.g. eating, reading or cellphoning). It would be nice if citations were issued on the basis of the situation (and there WILL be those cops who BS about my 65mph in a 55mph zone being unsafe on a smooth, pristine highway alone in the middle of the desert). It's at their skewed discretion.
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
FM696969
Basic User

Post by FM696969 »

COPS ARE NOT HUMAN,THEY ARE butt crevice WITH A BADGE, THEY ALL HAVE ISSUES, THEY ARE A BUNCH OF DRUNKS AND HAVE THE NUMBER 1 DIVORCE RATE IN THE COUNTRY.[THEY LIKE TO BEAT UP THEIR WIVES TOO]
YOU KNOW THE OLD SAYING... 'THERE'S NEVER A COP AROUND WHEN YOU REALLY NEED ONE.
BUT YES,THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE TO GIVE YOU A TICKET.

I KNOW ALOT OF YOU 'LOVE COPS'...THIS IS ONLYMY OPINION
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

FM696969 wrote:COPS ARE NOT HUMAN,THEY ARE ----- WITH A BADGE, THEY ALL HAVE ISSUES, THEY ARE A BUNCH OF DRUNKS AND HAVE THE NUMBER 1 DIVORCE RATE IN THE COUNTRY.[THEY LIKE TO BEAT UP THEIR WIVES TOO]
YOU KNOW THE OLD SAYING... 'THERE'S NEVER A COP AROUND WHEN YOU REALLY NEED ONE.
BUT YES,THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE TO GIVE YOU A TICKET.

I KNOW ALOT OF YOU 'LOVE COPS'...THIS IS ONLYMY OPINION
...well you know what they say: opinions are like as-holes, everyone's got one.
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
Paul Mihalka
Basic User

Post by Paul Mihalka »

Well, in my many years of travel I got a few tickets, but definitely got more forgiven than written. My best encounter with the law: Colorado, nice two-lane road, with a house here and there, no traffic. I'm just nicely riding along. I see a car catching up with me, which is rare. But it is something low, grey, no problem. The low and grey suddenly starts flashing blue! Happened to be Colorado State Police in a unmarked Camaro. I see in the mirror that a lady trooper is coming to me. Closer I see, blond, very good looking, very young. I would guess fresh out of police academy. Walks up straight behind my back so I can't shoot her, stops behind my left shoulder. Very formal, serious. Sir, your driver's license, your registration and your insurance card please. Yes, maam. What is the problem? Sir, I was pacing you at 52 in a 35. Ouch, I'm sorry. She goes back to the car. A minute later comes again, up front, with a smile on her face, hands me my papers. Sir, please slow down. I cannot write you a ticket with that license plate you have. My license plate? OLDFRT
You don't stop riding because you get old - you get old because you stop riding!
Anger
Basic User

Post by Anger »

Paul Mihalka wrote:[quote="I cannot write you a ticket with that license plate you have. My license plate? OLDFRT
BUAHAAAA, No way, you're joking right?... Funny story
2008 R1200R
2002 R1150R For Sale http://forsale.engineeringpros.com/r1150r/
2009 Triumph Bonneville
Harry
Basic User

Post by Harry »

No, Paul is NOT kidding! I've bought two BMW's from him (my K75 and my R) and I can confirm that his license plate does indeed say "OLDFRT."
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

R4R&R wrote:
Biff's R wrote:The Ohio Highwway Patroll has been on a big campaign agaiinst speeding here the last cople of weeks. Last Thursday I saw 7 troopers in 40 miles on my way to work.
Probably an outcome from holding the bash in Ohio this year. What state are we terrorizing next year?
John,
They usually do not worry about the roads we traveled. Since it is hard to break 70 with the # of curves on those lovely roads.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Sit
Basic User

Post by Sit »

It is refreshing to see that most people out there appreciate or at least tolerate those of us who have decided to serve the public. Too bad some people, even on this forum seem to have a huge chip on their shoulder. Fortunately, in my 14 years of doing this in the civilian world and 4 in the military, I have found that most motorist and most customers we deal dont display such a bad attitude.

I don't know about other jurisdictions, but the city that I work for makes almost no money from traffic tickets and the few bucks they do make does not go to the PD, it goes to the general city budget. We have those nasty photo tickets in my jurisdiction and those actually cost the city more to process than they make on a conviction. So at least for my department, traffic tickets as a revenue maker does not pan out.
Harry
Basic User

Post by Harry »

I have to respectfully disagree with you, officer. I've always respected the police because, well, you just should.

But at the same time I think that it's unrealistic to expect that the public not be occasionally irratated by excessive fines and unreasonable speed limits when we are out for an enjoyable afternoon motorcycle ride.

And as far as having "a huge chip on their shoulder" and "such a bad attitude"... Well, I'll just say that I've met more than a couple of police officers that could be accused of the same.
Sit
Basic User

Post by Sit »

believe it or not Harry, most of the officers I work with also do not like the high fines. I would much rather give someone a small ticket that wont hurt them financially, but will make them pause next time. When the government raises the fines, it does piss people off, it does ruin people sometimes (we tow a lot of cars in my area and people cant afford the ticket and tow bill, so what can they do, either way they get hurt) and it causes people to be upset with the cop and the number of tickets that go to court increases, so all of your costs related to that go up too. I personally would like to see most speeding and fail to obey traffic control device tickets at less than $100.

I know there are cops out there that have chips on their shoulders and a lot should not be cops. I wasnt trying to defend them. I just dont get why some people feel the need to bad mouth an entire profession. I always treat people with respect whether they give it to me or not. We are all people and are due respect and courtesy from one another I think