The new R1200R: official pics

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Marc
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

The new R1200R: official pics

Post by Marc »

chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

Very like the 1150 dontcha think, with the new 1200 swinging arm and motor. Happy to see the styling has only been tweaked because I plan to keep my R for some time yet! :)
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Fuzzy images of a rather progressive headlamp housing.... for a BMW. And if it fits, I'd install a "beak" from a prior 1150; I find it rather endearing.

My God, the suspense and anticipation is killing me. The F800 has left me cold, what with the mixed reviews and all. Besides, I need to cling to the generation of Boxer engines..... you know what they say about virgins and their 'first'.

I've managed to put 10,000 miles on a Triumph Sprint RS triple, and another 18,000 miles on a Bonneville parallel twin since leaving the fold of Beemer Boxers. This is what I've concluded:
The modern suspensions used on today's sport-bikes, is the way to go if you fancy yourself a Ricky Road Racer or enjoy Track Days on the local track. BMW's tele-lever is more user friendly and more forgiving of real road irregularities. It can actually make a better rider out of the pilot (figuratively speaking).
The BMW is soooo well made, and crafted with love & attention to detail, that all other machines pale in comparison. The only other bike with comparable fit & finish are the new Harley Davidsons. There are components on both my Triumphs that actually feel/look like they were cheaper than Japanese bikes.... but they are overshadowed by some components (the engine!) that are almost as much "over-engineered" as the Beemer's engine.
The notion that a bike can perform so flawlessly and absent ANY drama as the BMW Boxer, yet somehow retain it's lovable 'character' is a recipe of mixed signals. My old fashion, cheap Bonneville, with it's tired decade old design is FULL OF "character"..... and I hope always to be able to choose to ride it, as it will be parked next to a modern machine upon which I feel confident logging on the miles.

Wow..... I sure hope I can come home to the BMW Roadster, I hope it'll be affordable, and I hope BMW narrowed the saddle a bit for the increasing number of height challenged enthusiasts buying bikes in recent history.
Member #31
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Good to hear from ya Pat!

Hey, no matter what the finances say, take a test ride and report back. I would like to hear what you got to say about this new bike.
Then again, this request may suck you in to signing your name :)

You are right about one thing. BMW's ability to insprire confidence in average riders and I am no track day guy.

I get to "trade bikes" with friends somtimes and the one thing I always notice is that. They make real world bikes for real world roads.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

T'is good to hear from you Pat..and let's hope we see you back on a boxer again soon.

I'm hanging out for a better pic.

DJ
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

DJ.....

The image you posted has indeed whet my interest. It got me excited and had me punching all sorts of search engines for another image..... couldn't find anything. As I see it, that headlamp is about the only thing that remains a mystery, the rest of the bike makes sense. (Although, we can expect more Micky Mouse mirrors I'm sure.)

Yeah SJ, I've actually avoided some rides because the Bonnie doesn't gain my confidence. I'm ready to sign on the dotted line...... (too bad interest rates are going up again)
Member #31
pepebmw
Basic User

Post by pepebmw »

:x

The R1200R look sucky! Cadillac paint job, comfort bike! Jeez! I ain't getting it ever... prolly stick to HP2 or GS! They look arsesome! Heh!
Nutty rider!
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Indeed Pat, where've ya been? Good to hear from you!

I'll reserve judgment until I have seen the bike in person. I didn't think much of the R1150R until I saw one up close and personal and fell in love.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

If this is legit, I confess to being relieved it doesn't look too funky! Of course, if I thought it was ugly, it would be easier to resist! :wink:

The shape of the tank looks similar to the 1150 but are my eyes that bad or are the "scoops" gone? And where did the coolers move?

I would love my same bike, minus 50 lbs or so with the new tranny!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Marc
Basic User

Post by Marc »

You'll see the real bike the 7th of july in Garmisch Spartenkirchen (Boxermeeting).
collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

The shape of the tank looks similar to the 1150 but are my eyes that bad or are the "scoops" gone? And where did the coolers move?
Look low & behind the front wheel. Giant, 1 piece oil cooler. The tank is probably bigger (in capacity) and hopefully, more narrow at the seat junction. No scoops. just an "echo" of the old cooling scoops. Evolution, rather than revolution.
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

collyers - I see the blob you are talking about! Ok, that is good if that is the cooler.

BTW - I like your sig line! :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

I hope thats not the chunck of metal thats going to be the telelever, the 1150R has the nicest telelever of any BMW ever, and it would be a shame to give it up...It has style. I've always believed of "function before style" but if it functions well AND looks good, thats even better.
ASK WHY
Capt. Blackadder
Basic User

Post by Capt. Blackadder »

Wish they were sharper, but these images look legit to me. Too elaborate to be a Photoshop hoax. Given that this is how the bike will look, I find myself very relieved, after having seen some pretty radical mockups in the past few months. In my opinion the Roadster should be styled in a neo-classic way, so to speak. Styling cues like a short and high "bulldog butt", for instance, like on the new Speed Triple, would be out of place. Boy, did they ever mess that bike up, styling-wise, if you ask me.

So, let's review: classic styling, an ST/RT-motor with around 100 RWHP, non-servo ABS brakes, possibly a larger tank, and a low pipe that allows for equally sized system cases. Things are looking up... let's hope they don't fudge it on the price.
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS
beemerphile

Post by beemerphile »

Pat wrote:And if it fits, I'd install a "beak" from a prior 1150; I find it rather endearing.
I think the missing beak is an improvement. I'd be interested except that I only buy a new BMW every 12-17 years.

Lee
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

As I have been hinting all along, conservative styling and the ST/RT motor, appx 100 RWHP.
Dean-O
Member #33
Capt. Blackadder
Basic User

Post by Capt. Blackadder »

Deans BMW wrote:As I have been hinting all along, conservative styling and the ST/RT motor, appx 100 RWHP.
Indeed, and may I say a hearty "Thanks!" for your insider info tidbits for the past few months!

Hopefully the new R is a good bit lighter too, so it becomes an even bigger surprise for the squids in the twisties. :smt077 :mrgreen:
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Capt. it will be lighter as well. :D
Dean-O
Member #33
rivi7777
Basic User

next gen RR

Post by rivi7777 »

From what I can gather from those grainy spyshots and what I'm convinced is indeed going to be the next Roadster, I am somewhat disappointed with the styling. I too didn't want anything radically different, but I think the old Roadster simply looks better! I agree there's something missing up front - some sort of beak. Regardless, it's gonna be a fantastic bike for sure!
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Acpantera wrote:I hope thats not the chunck of metal thats going to be the telelever, the 1150R has the nicest telelever of any BMW ever, and it would be a shame to give it up...It has style. I've always believed of "function before style" but if it functions well AND looks good, thats even better.
I agree the Telelever arm/front fender looks more like the R1100R than the R1150R, and that arm is the best looking of all of the ones BMW has used.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!