Minor oil leak after oil change

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sdixit
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Minor oil leak after oil change

Post by sdixit »

Changed oil (and filter) on my '04 RR the other day. At the end of the test ride I noticed a drop of oil hanging at the bottom of the oil filter. At the time I thought that was just residual stuff that got squeezed out as I put the oil filter on.

However, I do notice a fresh drop of oil hanging at the bottom of the filter after every run.

The oil level (currently a hair below the mid-point) has not changed even after the bike has been ridden for about 200 miles after the oil change. It's clearly a very slow leak.

Could it be that the rubber ring at the top of the oil filter has not seated properly? I smeared the ring with fresh oil and then torqued the filter on to spec. Should I repeat the oil change?

Thanks.
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

Take some carb cleaner and spray it up into the recess of the oil filter housing (the filter remains in place) to remove any residual oil. Repeat this a couple of times to ensure you have removed any lingering oil. Take the bike for a ride and see if it leaks. If it does, then there may be something wrong with the filter gasket. Was this a BMW filter?

Tony
sdixit
Basic User

Post by sdixit »

ProductUser wrote:Take some carb cleaner and spray it up into the recess of the oil filter housing (the filter remains in place) to remove any residual oil. Repeat this a couple of times to ensure you have removed any lingering oil. Take the bike for a ride and see if it leaks. If it does, then there may be something wrong with the filter gasket. Was this a BMW filter?

Tony
Thanks Tony. I'll try that.

Yes, it is a BMW filter.
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Did you smear some oil on the gasket before you installed the filter?
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
sdixit
Basic User

Post by sdixit »

rdsmith3 wrote:Did you smear some oil on the gasket before you installed the filter?
I did.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Are you sure the old rubber gasket came out with the old filter?
sdixit
Basic User

Post by sdixit »

Boxer wrote:Are you sure the old rubber gasket came out with the old filter?
The old gasket came off with the old filter. I'm sure about that.

Maybe the new gasket failed to take make a proper seal for some reason?
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I've never smeared oil on mine and never had a leak...I hope it's not cross-threaded.

DJ
sdixit
Basic User

Post by sdixit »

DJ Downunder wrote:I've never smeared oil on mine and never had a leak...I hope it's not cross-threaded.

DJ
I sure hope that's not the case.

I'll keep monitoring it for the next 1000 miles or so before I change the oil and filter.
jon pierce
Basic User

Post by jon pierce »

Just undo it a 'smidge' (1/4 turn) and re-tighten it (1/3 to 1/2 turn).

As we all know it should not leak - installing one is not rocket science.........if it continues to leak however you should remove it and have a good look for an obstruction on the seal (possibly a little 'nick') or maybe something on the mating surface? If somehow there is an obstruction preventing a seal then it is possible that it might actaully come off!!!!

Remember a little oil seems to go a long way - for any sort of oil leak to impinge on the oil level it has to be a major leak.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
sdixit
Basic User

Post by sdixit »

Stopped leaking. I don't see any trace of oil at the bottom of the filter. :D
It has to have been the couple drops of oil that got squeezed out when putting on the filter.

I'm happy.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
pjpockets
Basic User

Post by pjpockets »

The couple of drops would not show up as a drip. As the other guy said, try retightening the filter, or do the job over again. I know from my own experience that you could loose almost all the oil before you know whats happening. Did it in a dodge pickup. Lucked out though, no damage. Peace of mind and knowing the job is done proper is always best.