Proud new R1150R Owner

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Catapult
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Proud new R1150R Owner

Post by Catapult »

After many years of putting off the purchase I acquired my first bike, a 2004 R1150R. I was on a business trip in the Columbus Ohio area and stopped by the BMW dealership. I was delighted to find a 2004 r115R with less then 250 miles on it. I live in western NC, 1 mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Within a few days of seeing the bike, my father and I hitched a trailer and picked the bike up in Ohio. My father owns an RT and was one of the first to bring a BMW automobile into the country in the early 60s. He discovered BMW during his military service in France. I spent most of my teenage years working on BMW rebuild projects, with my father, and currently own two BMW autos. I knew I wanted to get into biking and felt sure that BMW was would be the safest product on the road. I found the RT was just to much bike to start with so when I first set down on the r1150r it just felt right. I've spent the last month reading and learning from this great message board and getting familiar with riding. So far the exerperience has been great and I'm doing my best to keep it safe:)
dwayne
Lifer

Re: Proud new R1150R Owner

Post by dwayne »

Catapult wrote:After many years of putting off the purchase I acquired my first bike, a 2004 R1150R. I was on a business trip in the Columbus Ohio area and stopped by the BMW dealership. I was delighted to find a 2004 r115R with less then 250 miles on it. I live in western NC, 1 mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Within a few days of seeing the bike, my father and I hitched a trailer and picked the bike up in Ohio. My father owns an RT and was one of the first to bring a BMW automobile into the country in the early 60s. He discovered BMW during his military service in France. I spent most of my teenage years working on BMW rebuild projects, with my father, and currently own two BMW autos. I knew I wanted to get into biking and felt sure that BMW was would be the safest product on the road. I found the RT was just to much bike to start with so when I first set down on the r1150r it just felt right. I've spent the last month reading and learning from this great message board and getting familiar with riding. So far the exerperience has been great and I'm doing my best to keep it safe:)
Congrats and welcome! This is also my first Beemer, and wow, what a great bike!!

Ride safe Comrade.
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
Valueman
Lifer

Post by Valueman »

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the new ride!! I have an '04 that has served me well. While traveling over 100 days a year by plane I have still managed to put 21,000 miles on her.

This is a great community. I have no mechanical skills at all, but this board has helped me through many projects.

Love to ride the BRP (except on weekends). I am headed that way Thursday, and I can't wait!!

VM
NHighCotton
Basic User

Post by NHighCotton »

Well, I might as well join the club :D I got a 03 model last week...Love It! (except the seat).

VM, I'm sure we ride the same roads :smt023
2003 R1150R (SOLD 8/07)
(9/07) 05 FJR1300
1986 R80RT
1974 R90s antique (on the road again)
Harry
Basic User

Post by Harry »

Catapult:

Welcome, bro. I know the feeling! I bought my first 2005 R1150R in January after riding a K75 for 12 years. The K was cool, but I *much* prefer the character and ride of the R. I really love this bike.

BTW: Don't get scared if you find it burning a little oil (mine did). Once those piston rings are properly seated it'll stop.

In a world that's cluttered with the predictable Harley's and crotch rockets, it's a great feeling to know that you're one of the few folks riding a BMW!!

Recently a good buddy of mine was showing off his new purple running lights and flame designs on the hand grips and running boards of his 2002 Harley Davidson FLHTC. But sadly he only has 2,400 miles on the thing.

I showed him my seven month old R with no purple running lights and no fancy chrome flame designs on it..... however, *my* odometer read 6,100 at the time:)

We BMW riders are all about the riding:))
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Welcome Catapult!

WNC is a great place to own and ride a Roadster.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people don't do what's right, they do what's most convenient and then repent
2015 Honda PCX150
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Catapult - glad you made it! The Roadster wasn't my first BMW, it was my 5th. I think it is the best all around bike out there.

I just rode though your area Saturday from the Shady Valley side. We should get together soon for a ride!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
KHaynes
Lifer

New R1150R

Post by KHaynes »

Boxers Rule :lol:
Congratulations on your acquisition.
Keith Haynes
R1150RT
Wheelcaps
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

Congrats from another first time beemer owner. Enjoy the new toy!
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
paroyboy
Basic User

Post by paroyboy »

Same here, first Beemer being a 2004 R. Came from a Moto Guzzi. While the BMW doesnt have quite as much "character" as the Guzzi, the smoothness, power, and dealer network of the Beemer make up for it. 1500 miles in a month must mean I like it! Welcome aboard!
bikermeow
Lifer

Post by bikermeow »

Congrats ... watch the instant servo brakes, and use the rear for gentle slowing and the front brake ofr rapid stop.

Cheers

Meow
Darius
Lifer
Donating Member #: 597

Post by Darius »

In the winter months 3 - 4 years ago I was sitting on an r1150r (yellow), but didn't pull the purchase trigger because I had yet to compute my taxes. Good move as I ended up owing Uncle Sam a big chunk of change. I kept on wanting a bike, looking at less expensive alternatives, but kept coming back to the r1150r as the perfect bike – quick, but not too powerful, not too common, nice riding position, very cool looking, well engineered, no chain drive. I could go on.

I discovered this web forum a few years ago, but had not visited in quite some time until May of this year when I found an r1150r in mint condition just a 40 minute ride from my home. About a week later it was mine and I am one happy rider. After a Kawasaki in high school and a Honda and a Yamaha in college it has been years since I have owned a bike. The r1150r is big fun and the posts on this discussion board have been extremely valuable in dealing with some of the nuances of the bike like shifting technique, oil burning, tires, scheduled maintenance, seat discomfort as well as more routine issues like cleaning. Thanks to you all. Be safe.
Kazushi
Basic User

Post by Kazushi »

Welcome to the world of R !

Ride safe...
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Congrats!
I bought mine 6 weeks, or 3900 wonderful miles ago.
It's the perfect bike, and I can't stay off it.

Have fun, take pictures, and be safe. Image
Get Lost!
Catapult
Basic User

I'm putty in they're hands!

Post by Catapult »

ChiTown, I know what you mean I put just over 1000 miles on her in three weeks. I becoming obsessed with my bike and this board. Like every BMW product I've ever owned, the more you use them the more they mesmerize and spoil you. This is my first bike and I'm pretty darn sure I made the right choice and if I didn't then I'm sure it will program me to think so. Those German folks know what they're doing and I'm putty in they're hands. Help!
dwayne
Lifer

Re: Proud new R1150R Owner

Post by dwayne »

Catapult wrote:After many years of putting off the purchase I acquired my first bike, a 2004 R1150R. I was on a business trip in the Columbus Ohio area and stopped by the BMW dealership. I was delighted to find a 2004 r115R with less then 250 miles on it. I live in western NC, 1 mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Within a few days of seeing the bike, my father and I hitched a trailer and picked the bike up in Ohio. My father owns an RT and was one of the first to bring a BMW automobile into the country in the early 60s. He discovered BMW during his military service in France. I spent most of my teenage years working on BMW rebuild projects, with my father, and currently own two BMW autos. I knew I wanted to get into biking and felt sure that BMW was would be the safest product on the road. I found the RT was just to much bike to start with so when I first set down on the r1150r it just felt right. I've spent the last month reading and learning from this great message board and getting familiar with riding. So far the exerperience has been great and I'm doing my best to keep it safe:)
Welcome to the club. :)
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

There's something about this bike that we all feel. So many people say the same thing, it just looks and feels right...whatagreatbike. :)
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
dhfriday
Basic User

Post by dhfriday »

What a great forum... I purchased an 04 Rockster yesterday. I haven't had a chance to ride it long yet, but anticipate putting big time numbers up soon. What a great bike. I bought it for the BMW reputation. The fact that there's a web site devoted just to the R makes me think I found the right model as well. Can anyone recommend a ride out of Phoenix?
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

dhfriday wrote:What a great forum... I purchased an 04 Rockster yesterday. I haven't had a chance to ride it long yet, but anticipate putting big time numbers up soon. What a great bike. I bought it for the BMW reputation. The fact that there's a web site devoted just to the R makes me think I found the right model as well. Can anyone recommend a ride out of Phoenix?
I just visited my friend in Flagstaff, AZ. When the fires subside, a backroads ride up thru Oak Creek Canyon would be neat. Or the "ghost town" of Jerome. But BMWs and canyons definitely go well together.
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT