Blackwater Falls Canyon-Canaan Mountain

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Blackwater Falls Canyon-Canaan Mountain

Post by MikeCam »

Rain and wet, chilly air fog the gorge of the Blackwater River. Asphalt roadways for the first several miles give way to graded gravel that washed out over the winter and awaits a legislative windfall before repairs commence in advance of the summer tourist hordes.

That's the entry to a 25 mile off-road adventure for the high-spirited Roadster rider. Except the Roadster couldn't go here. Low frame clearances versus deep mud holes and rocky, boulder strewn pathways are beyond the reasonable. Take the F650GS (that is for sale) and enjoy the lower seat, higher frame height, and lighter weight of the water cooled thumper.

Still, at the third water crossing of the disappearing logging trail, some seven miles from the place of departure (and well beyond the mentally measured turn around point) along the 3300 foot side of the hill, the limestone ridge rising 30 feet across the path looms as a new challenge; nothing I've ever attempted before.

[PICS COMING]

The rock outcropping blocks the entire washout, it no longer rates the trail moniker. At an angle of perhaps 45 degrees to the line of travel and a slope of maybe 25 degrees of wet, fractured, detrius covered shelf rock (is it sandstone?) the apparent route up looks tricky.

First try the rear slides out feverously and my offside leg catches the fall just so -- on the point of balance and gravity. Second try results in a careful backward foot pedal against the pull of the locked front brake until reaching a fairly level spot dangerously close to the edge of the canyon. Third try.... a burst of throttle, a big front tire bounce and a haphazard lunge to the downhill side of the shelf gives way to a surging climb out and a brief glimpse of moto-cross glory until I am forced to stop and breathe along the higher, level area above the obstacle.

Whew! doggies! I am whole and safe. I've accomplished a great feat! I have faced the elements and won.

The trail continues another 12 miles to the Red Run Canyon convergence with the Balckwater. Nothing is as bad as that earlier stretch of wash faded road.

Now the air lightens, a slimmer of sunlight penetrates the wispy mists as the trail regains some definition and dual tire tracks show that others have pursued this course.

After a while, the hum of the single cylinder and the absolute quiet of all else hypnotizes me into a trance like enjoyment of the joy of slow riding. I've used only 1st and 2nd gear for 2 hours. The road again gains gravel and ditches - signs of the Forest Service ownership here. The rise is gentle along the contours from the gorge to the higher elevations around 4000 feet.

Beech and poplar give way to maple, oak, and walnut. All new growth, less than 70 years old, according to the Forest Manual and Brochure. At last, rising above the four thousand foot layer, the hickory shares spaces with young Red Spruce and old Hemlock stands, separated quite often by bogs and glades and other more hardy upland fora.

More side roads and even houses, cabins really, appear as I return to more populated areas. I am leaving it behind. Sadly, I return to asphalt.

I am done.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.