The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

elmosisu
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Thinking of a new K-R Questions....

Post by elmosisu »

Hi everybody!

I'm thinking of "upgrading" to a K1200R from my Rockster.

I need to know what the light-duty touring capabilities are of the bike ( with Bags, and tank and tail pack mounted)

also, I am used to doing nearly all services to my Rock, and I know that I will be limited to only oil changes, and other small stuff. What can I do on my own ( assuming non-ABS, Non-ESA)?

what are the recomended service intervals?
( I know the valve adjustments are variable..........what mileage has been typical for adjustments?)

any major dislikes for a larger rider ( 6'3" 260lbs)?

I'm planning on getting peg lowering kit, and hope that the handlebars will be fine ( not looking to spend $500+ on the Verholen kit).

this is a HUGE decision for me ( and my wallet), so I need some help with my decision making.

oh yeah........last question. what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

thanks rick :P
Everyone needs to believe in something.......I believe I'll have another beer.

Rick-
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

Heya,

Well having gone from one to another, my take on it...

a) Power... BWHAHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

..settles a bit..

Touring capabilities are actually really good! the stylish bags when fully expanded can caryy quite a bit of stuff, I'm running a 45L Ventura rack in conjuction with it and really impressed, haven't a tank bag yet. If I do a Eastern States run then I might pick one up for it, I fit the seat comfortable for long runs and it allows me (6') to slide back and is much more supportive doing that.

Servicing? Every 10K, alternate service/inspection routine, from what I've been hearing there's few that have actually had the valves adjusted, so they seem to bed in well, like the K-RS's. The only oil to change is the main motor and thats very easy, and coolant (haven't done that yet). So if you don't have ABS, I guess your main services would be having the valves inspected.

Hell of bike really, the little screen works well, although I'm still contemplating Wunderlich screen and oil cooler cover. And around town, I gotta admit the slim lines of the bike (does it make my ar*e look big?) works a treat! ;)

I get approx 260K's on the open road -taking- it easy... but generally I get 210 around town.

Power... don't forget the power... :)

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Link

Post by MikeCam »

Here is the link to the post below, you might have seen...big pic to download of the K1200R packed for my 6000 mile round trip to Boise and return (maybe).

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=7043

Some thoughts after 5000 miles (plus)....

Power, agility, handling, performance and electrical all high marks. That duolever is a different feeling front but it handles straight up, rough roads and TWISTIES!!!!

Seat comfort. 500 mile days with no seat burn. The boys stay happy and the legs stay fresh.

Tires - varied mileage reports. Dunlop D220's on this one. Mine show rear bars almost level after this latest travel. Might not make it home on 'em. Front is good.

Windscreen. The flyscreen is okay for town and light highway. I use the Speedster Screen (from R1100/1150R/1200C) and on this trip have never felt turbulence, buffeting, vibration, ear ringing, helmet noise or any indicator that the wind screen isn't just about perfect. It helps that I am 5'6" and long armed....

Overall, it can tour for me!
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Hi everybody!

I'm thinking of "upgrading" to a K1200R
Me too....I have always loved it...it seems to fit me the best..(just sitting on it in the showroom..I'm 6'4")

Maybe one day if I can ever afford it...for me I think it may be a better option over the new RR.

DJ
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

When you do... you'll have to try it out for touring..

Meetcha half way! :wink:

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
red baron
Lifer

K1200R question

Post by red baron »

Mine is about a year old and has 12,500 miles on the odometer.
Tech thinks have still 2 to 3,000 miles left before valve adjustment is due. Anyway until now the computer does not recommend v-adjustments.
Oil and wheel change is very simple.
Mine is a non ABS/ESA bike and the bike is well suited for long distance travel and even at my age (mid sixties) 5 to 600 miles travel per day are not bothersome. Mileage is in the 40 miles/gallon range.
Nevertheless I will sell my bike since at my age the R1200R will be more suitable for my type of travelling.
Red Baron