One more ride report

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

chris
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

One more ride report

Post by chris »

Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

A positive report for sure. Traction control works differently on this bike than what I had previously conjectured. Instead of applying the rear brake as is the case on BMW's cars, they actually cut engine power. That seems like the harder way to do it, but as long as it works (which the article reports that it's not perfect).

Do I really need a R1200GS?
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
HornHonker
Basic User

Post by HornHonker »

Looks like the base price has increased about 700 pounds. Hmmm...
apaulcopy
Basic User

Post by apaulcopy »

Here in the states, Motorcycle Consumer News just published its "first ride" with the R1200R at the press intro in Germany. Looks as if they liked it a lot..
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

The BMW car's traction control also cuts engine power. There are two modes on the car: DTC and ASC. One of those modes apply brake (DTC - I think) and the ASC mode cuts power to the slipping wheel.

PS I hope that there is an "Off" switch for the motorcycle's ASC. As the rider, I'll determine when I want my traction control and ABS on, thank you very much.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
bimrluvr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 429

Post by bimrluvr »

The Motorcycle Consumer News reports that the ASC option will include a cut-off switch and the GS version will include an intermediate slip setting to allow for more wheelspin on gravel and loose surfaces.

The writer (editor) concludes that the R1200R is "one of the very best naked bikes [he's] ever experienced." and that it it's "going to be on his short list of new purchases."

Damn, I hope I have great business over the next six months, cause I just might do the trade-up (or get a divorce - or both).
#429 (in for life)
'06 Silver R1200RT
'04 Titan Silver R50R (3/05-9/10 was a good friend - RIP)
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

Damn, I hope I have great business over the next six months, cause I just might do the trade-up (or get a divorce - or both).
bimrluvr,
The divorce would cost a lot more.................. better settle for the new bike. :lol:
Don
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
bimrluvr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 429

Post by bimrluvr »

As regards the ABS, the same MCN writer gives the impression that the new ABS system essentially eliminates all the old complaints. He also loved the modified ergos. Makes it sound like a real winner!!

Altho' on reflection I may miss the Beak (I can't believe I'm writing this), but it actually suits the new profile as viewed from the front.
#429 (in for life)
'06 Silver R1200RT
'04 Titan Silver R50R (3/05-9/10 was a good friend - RIP)
Basic User

Post by 1150929 »

Just flew back tonight and looked at every newstand for R1200R info, and there was nothing. The 1150R might have been the least tested bike that I know of, but I never read a bad review of the few that I've seen. Hopefully the new 12R will get more hype.
Rui
'03 R1150R silver w/abs,black motor,bags,backrest,givi
'00 CBR929RR
'08 Road King Classic
Parkblu
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Parkblu »

The release caught me by surprise, MCN being the first US rag I saw writing about it (on the cover they even refer to as the R1200S). I missed all of it in the German press, which I read whenever I get my paws on it.

MOTORRAD in it's last issue (Aug 4) has a naked-bike comparo (ranking: 1200R, Griso 1100, Monster S2R and Buell XB12S). Price in Germany as tested (windshield, heated grips, ABS, white blinker lenses): 12,902 Euro or (at 1.27 exchange rate) $16,385. Hmmpf.
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

Hmmpf, indeed... I'm serious about buying a 1200R (I have a deposit down at my dealer) but if they can't get a non-abs w/heated grips, hard bags and a centerstand out the door for under $15k, then no thanks. I think it's gonna be a great bike, and I don't expect 'em to give it away like they were when I got my '02 1150R ($11k out the door), but sheesh!
Last edited by r1150rider on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Hmmpf, indeed... I'm serious about buying a 1200R (I have a deposit down at my dealer) but if they can't get a non-abs w/heated grips and a centerstand out the door for under $15k, then no thanks. I think it's gonna be a great bike, and I don't expect 'em to give it away like they were when I got my '02 1150R ($11k out the door), but sheesh!
Wow...congrats...I hope you get it and they look after you on price.

What color did you order..the light grey..the medium grey..or the very dark grey?.. :D

DJ
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

Hiya DJ- nah, I opted for the grey... actually, what they call "granite grey" which appears to be almost a matte finish? I may very well not like it in person, we'll see. But the dealer said he would let me know when they get one in equipped how I want it (no abs, heated grips, centerstand) no matter what the color so I can get down there and see it. I like the black (without the pinstripes) but I dunno... just hafta wait and see 'em all, I guess! But if the price is way out of whack, I'll just refurbish the 1150 and put another 60k on it! It's a tough act to follow, eh?
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
Parkblu
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Parkblu »

With prices, remember that (in my observation) often Euro and Dollar-prices are often at similar numbers, so an €11,000 (Euro) model would be $11,000 here. Prices cannot be translated 1:1 because of differences in what individual markets will bear.
Basic User

Post by 1150929 »

Here are some quotes referring to improvements;

"(the old telelever was) vague in a straight line, unresponsive to high-frequency bumps and clumsy at walking pace."

"the motor revs much more willingly than before, up to its 8,000rpm red line without the severe vibration"

"(the new engine) still buzzes, but not nastily."

For those of us that still ride 1150's, I never knew it was such a vague, clumsy, severe and nastily buzzy bike. :roll:

I'm certain the 12R is a great bike. But why make up stuff about the old one. Just seems that auto and bike scribes are the same everywhere in how they overstate and hype up new models. ...Just a pet peeve.
Rui
'03 R1150R silver w/abs,black motor,bags,backrest,givi
'00 CBR929RR
'08 Road King Classic
ranmar850
Basic User

Post by ranmar850 »

Errrr...I swore my Rockster didn't vibrate in the least, until I did 3,500km on a an R1200GS--when I got back on the Rock, it felt very buzzy-and the power felt flat-AND the front end felt weird :( --So strange I went straight home and checked front tyre pressure-couple of pound down, but still felt "different". Normal relations were restored quickly, but I'd love the high tuned version of the 1200 hexhead in a Rockster-type package. :)
johno
Basic User

Post by johno »

Our Two Wheels mag just did an article on the R1200r road test, and reckon it is better in every way than the previous model.
If that is the case, it must be one brilliant motorcicle!! :)
I cant wait to ride one.
2002 R1150R.
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

After 2 years of owing the 1150R, I finally have it set up the way I want it, with the accesories that I want. Making it the bike I wanted also. I'm sure that the 1200R is awesome, and maybe someday I will go through the whole process again, buying a bike and taking years to find the money to buy the right stuff for it. However, for now I'm just going to enjoy the bike I have created, and not go through that again. I do get attatched to my machines, heck I had Suzy (1978 GS750) for 20 years. I can see me keeping Rommel for 20 years also.
Don
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
johno
Basic User

Post by johno »

Owldaddy, I agree with you on the setting up of your machine to suit you.
I have just about got mine the way I want it, so wont be selling in the near future.
It is easy to get caught up in the new bike hipe, but changeover costs
can be large, so keeping what we have is sometimes the only option.
Give the new model a couple of years to sort out the bugs, and it maybe a different story. :D
2002 R1150R.
ranmar850
Basic User

Post by ranmar850 »

johno wrote:Owldaddy, I agree with you on the setting up of your machine to suit you.
I have just about got mine the way I want it, so wont be selling in the near future.
It is easy to get caught up in the new bike hipe, but changeover costs
can be large, so keeping what we have is sometimes the only option.
Give the new model a couple of years to sort out the bugs, and it maybe a different story. :D
With you on that, with regards to sorting out the bugs--it is rare for a completely new model of anything not to have issues which don't come to light without some "real-world" time. Nice to be first on the block with a new model, but it can cost a little in time and inconvenience. :)