Metzeler M3s

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

domekrome
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Metzeler M3s

Post by domekrome »

After running Michelin Pilot Powers this past spring, and seeing how much fun sticky tires can be, I ran the Pilot Roads for my cross Canada adventure this summer - good touring tire, but I still prefer the Z6s for that purpose. On the way home I needed new tires, so I decided to get someting fun again, enter the M3s.

I ended up wasting their potential on flat, boring Prairie roads and uneventful highway riding through the mountains of Alberta & BC, to the tune of 2300 kms. I have finally been able to start using these tires in their element, challenging, twisty, technical mountain roads. Yesterday, I road approximately 450 kms, on everything from fresh highway asphalt, to poorly maintained, frost heave laden secondary highways. The route was Vancouver, BC to Tofino, BC and back. In the last 125 kms on the outward leg, there are few straight stretches, and fewer LEOs to hinder any of the fun.

These tires are sticky as all get out, and the front profile is fairly neutral, producing less drop-in than the Pilot Powers that I had this past spring.
These tires heat up very quickly, and grip is incredible, line choices can be made with confidence and any necessary adjustments can be made without upsetting the bike, although I must confess that I was upset by some of the necessary adjustments, darn mid-corner gravel. :x

I can't vouch for longevity at this point, although the Prairie riding I did did not square off the tire. The tires now have approximately 3000 kms on them and still retain their original profile.

As usual, these are just my experiences, YMMV.
Jason
Rockster Edition 80 #893
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

Good to know. I liked the old M1 a lot and I figure the M3 has to be better.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
Mclintoc
Basic User

Post by Mclintoc »

Yes, I agree with this report above, thanks. I love my M3s. I am considerably faster in the twisties than I was on my old Bridgestones.
I've had em all summer and no excessive wear yet.
R1150R Rockster