Defecting

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

DG02
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Defecting

Post by DG02 »

Well, since being member #2 on this board in 2001 (in the first format) the inevitable has happened and I've put down a deposit on a new bike. I'll be getting an F800ST that's scheduled to be built in April and delivery is set for May.

The R1150R will get traded in. There is a lot of aftermarket stuff to be stripped off since the dealer wants the bike in stock trim, so I'll occupy the next several weeks doing that, to pass the time. As much as I'm looking forward to the F (same horsepower as the R and about 100lbs lighter, what's not to like!) the R will be missed.
Dave
Member #2
Board #1
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

That is not defecting. It sounds like a very interesting trade, and I am interested in seeing the new F bikes up close.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

Saw the 800 S and ST at Daytona BMW and was NOT impressed! Mechanical clutch? Poor suspension? Maintenance intensive motor? You'd be better off getting a Uly . . . really.
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
Rich Hamilton
Basic User

Post by Rich Hamilton »

jbuzbee wrote:Saw the 800 S and ST at Daytona BMW and was NOT impressed! Mechanical clutch? Poor suspension? Maintenance intensive motor? You'd be better off getting a Uly . . . really.
Jbuzbee, can you give a little more detail?

Mechanical clutch? Well sure, only activation differs. Some are cable actuated, some are hydraulically actuated. Are you saying this one is cable actuated? So? One less fluid to change.

Poor suspension? Again, what do you mean here? Only spring preload and no rebound damping controls? No adjustments at all? (highly unlikely)

Maintenance-intensive motor? Like the R1150R isn't? Valve adjustments every 6000 miles and a lengthy maintenance logbook. Seems all BMW's are maintenance-intensive in that respect.

I'm actually eager to hear about someone's first-hand experience with this bike. I've had my eye on it too. Let us know how it goes, DG02.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way DG02, if you like sport-touring bikes on a budget (unlike the higher-priced, big-bore, over-dressed variety out there), have you checked out the 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050? Looks like a comfortable sport-tourer without all of the extra bells and whistles (and weight) of larger bikes, but has enough accessories to make it a good travel companion. Check it out here:

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/usa/4506.aspx
2004 BMW R1150R Series 80-Alpine White (#131 of 200)
E=MC² (Enjoyment = Motorcycle X Clear skies²)
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

Both the F S and ST variants got great reviews in the UK press from MCN, MS&L and BIKE magazines. The only thing they could think of to criticize was that the fuel filler placement limits your non-OEM luggage choices! Fuel consumption is also supposed to be excellent too btw.

When they do a black one I'll be very tempted (like I am by the sporty K's, R1200S, R1200R ...) :lol:

Enjoy.
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

Rich Hamilton wrote:EDIT: Oh, and by the way DG02, if you like sport-touring bikes on a budget (unlike the higher-priced, big-bore, over-dressed variety out there), have you checked out the 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050? Looks like a comfortable sport-tourer without all of the extra bells and whistles (and weight) of larger bikes, but has enough accessories to make it a good travel companion. Check it out here:

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/usa/4506.aspx
A friend of mine at work has just got his '07 UK Tiger this week, I'm trying to talk him into a run out on Sunday to go meet Ted Simon who's signing his new Jupiter book at a dealership 115-miles down a twisty road from us...

He's hugely impressed with it so far.
Croc
Basic User

f800

Post by Croc »

I have been watching this forum for a while. Lots to say on the 800s.

http://f800riders.org/forum/

Croc
Wind in your hair......

Silver '03 ABS (Twin Spark)
DG02
Basic User

F800

Post by DG02 »

There are a bunch of reasons I decided on the F800 as opposed to something else. To begin with I'm not a fan of big (RT / GT / LT) sized bikes. The additional comfort on those machines isn't worth it to me for having to deal with all that mass. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great bikes for touring, but I spend 50% of my time on a bike commuting, 40% sport riding and only 10% touring. The R1200R was my other alternative, but after 6 years with the R1150R, I was looking for something different

I really like the looks of the F800ST, it's light and with R1150R HP on tap is quite quick. The belt drive is the ideal no maintenance alternative to a shaft. Maintenance costs are estimated to be quite low. From what I've seen, valve adjustment intervals are expected to be in the once-in- 20,000km range. I had a Rotax engine in My F650 and liked it a lot.

And all the reviews I've seen are heaping praise on the handling and performance. The March issue of Bike magazine has a big comparison article with the VFR 800 and the F800 is the clear winner over what the British bike press has made out for years to be the greatest all-time middlewight sport-tourer.

Add in the BMW stuff like the new simplified ABS, heated grips and so forth, and it looks like the right machine for me. I'm looking forward to it.
Dave
Member #2
Board #1
ranmar850
Basic User

Post by ranmar850 »

jbuzbee wrote:Saw the 800 S and ST at Daytona BMW and was NOT impressed! Mechanical clutch? Poor suspension? Maintenance intensive motor? You'd be better off getting a Uly . . . really.
Poor suspension?-just because it doesn't have almost infinite adjustment ?A well designed system doesn't need it.-on road it is apparently VERY good-

Maintainence intensive ? Fook me, you reckon it's less with a tractor :roll: -Buell's Ulysses are for people who can't see past Milwaukee iron. Slow, heavy, iron. Talking to a Ulysses owner in NZ last year as we rolled along in slow traffic leaving an airshow. I was on an R1200GS; he had put 50,000 km on his 12GS before trading it on the Buell and had always regretted it-he said the same thing that comes up so often with any Buell variation, that it will feel perfect on the right day, in the right circumstances, but not nearly often enough. As he said emphatically, referring to the 12; "you can do ANYTHING on that bike.

Not that I am a great fan of the 800's looks :D
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

Yes, I totally agree with Dave (above). I have a Rockster and love the ride and the looks, BUT I would be at the head of the queue if BMW brought out an F800 Rockster!

Why is it that at the age of 57, I still want a 'big'bike when a smaller one will do everything I require of it. Didn't Hailwood win the 1967 TT with (realistically) about the same power? (yes, I know that it was 'reputed' to be over 100bhp!)

Ride safely,

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

Maintenance intensive? On a Rotax engine? Me no thinks so. :roll:

The F800 doesn't do anything for me, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good bike. The Oilheads were great bikes and I'll keep my Rock forever, but time moves on and better bikes are available.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
The Velvet Monkey
Basic User

Post by The Velvet Monkey »

Just read the 800's review in UK's Bike mag (the only magazine I'll pay $10 a month for). They loved it.

Their only complaints concerned the styling (this seems to be a common BMW complaint--for both cars and bikes). They also wished it had more power, but recognized that it was sacrificed in order to get its killer gas mileage. The bike evidently has a very sophisticated engine design--not your old-school parallel twin.

Good luck--I think you'll love it.
2004 50R a.k.a. "Hiedi"

No!!! Bad monkey!!