I'm a DUMB-ASS! Lost bike on a corner

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

dwayne...glad you're felling a little better...You made a little mistake (easily done).

You've learnt from it..and now move on..Fix the bike up..and get back on.

Hey..I'm a poet and didn't know it.. :D

DJ
Last edited by DJ Downunder on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne
Lifer

Thanks DJ

Post by dwayne »

DJ Downunder wrote:dwayne...glad you're felling a little better...You made a little mistake (easily done)...You've learnt from it..and now move on..Fix the bike up..and get back on.

DJ
I'm taking your advise on this one. Another thing, after the dust settled, I noticed that the motor had shut itself off and the Four-ways where on. I didn't touch either.
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

dwayne - I have to disagree with you saying good riders don't get distracted. No one is superhuman enough not to be distracted at some point during a ride! Of course, lousy riders (and drivers!) probably have a much higher level of distraction than good riders. Just don't expect perfection out of yourself!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

Dwayne:

I was going way too fast for the conditions: remote country rode, sun just went down, hey - look - there are two deer in the road - oh sh*t!

Well guess what? The bike is completely repaired and I'm riding having a good time!!! I need to take some photos of the finished product. These bikes are tougher than you think!
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
bransan
Lifer

Post by bransan »

MIXR wrote:I wear all the gear all the time. Why? Just in case I do what you did - Make a simple mistake. You know what went wrong. You accept that it wasn't just 'the bike' or 'someone else'. You have accepted that your gear saved you. Hell - Don't be so hard on yourself! I think you've got exactly the right attitude.

Glad you're ok and I hope the bike is fixable and you can handle having a repaired bike, or that it's a write-off and you can get a new one. Main thing is that you're here giving the rest of us a lesson. That's a good thing. Cheers, and good luck with the bike.

DITTO! MIXR hit the nail on the head with that particular observation.
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

We all get distracted Dwayne, we all have 'oh sh*t' moments that cause knee trembling and BTGA! Don't beat yourself up, I've lost count of the times I've come close through my own or someone else's actions. If we analysed the risk properly we'd probably throw away our keys but human nature isn't like that is it! Get well, get the bike sorted and enjoy it again.
PS my oil level is still all over the place and it still drinks it at 12k...c'est la vie! :lol:
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

The dealership came by my place today to pick up the bike. Again, what a great bunch at Open Road BMW in Newmarket. These guys really take care of their customers, even when BMW Roadside won't. When I dropped in my place on the way down to Toronto, my wife had the bike out on the driveway waiting for BMW to come get it. I could not look at the bike, I couldn't do it. I feel like I cheated her from a life of long winding roads :( I should know tomorrow the extent of the damage (gulp). Whatever it takes that I can afford will go into getting this bike back on the road, and to Wisconsin, though I don't know I need to get a new helmet and other gear first. I will post pictures later when I show my wife how to do it..I can't look at them yet, its not how I want to remember her.
Basic User

Post by 1150929 »

Glad to hear you're ok Dwayne.

Wow, the bike's flashers went on immediately? Cool.

Don't feel so bad, happens to all of us.
Rui
'03 R1150R silver w/abs,black motor,bags,backrest,givi
'00 CBR929RR
'08 Road King Classic
frozennorth
Lifer
Donating Member #: 506

Post by frozennorth »

Dwayne, the only thing that counts is that you are in one piece. Bikes can be replaced, body parts can't (well most of them anyway). Fix your baby or buy yourself another, learn from the experience, and get back out there and enjoy!! Riding is far too liberating to stop because of a little mistake.

Sooner or later everyone makes an error in judgement, the difference between a bike and a car is that a small error in a car means scaring yourself or ending up in the ditch a little shaken up. On a bike, it normally means pain and serious damage to your baby.

2 years ago I was riding up to the Hoodoo's near Drumheller. In a curve I got distracted by a survey team working near the ditch. I straightend the bike up a bit because of where I turned my head. That was enough to get me close to the outer edge of the lane. I tried to get her back but lost it. 70 mph + one bad curve = one written off GS, one trip to the emergency, one seriously freaked out wife (Mrs. North was riding behind me) and 3 months walking like someone had beaten me with a large stick. Good body armour kept me from having any spinal damage. Good helmet kept the brains where they are supposed to be.

Sorry about your ride. Let us know when you have your fixed/new one.

:D
Red 02, R1150R
Member # 506
I am an empty hospital!
12bar1
Lifer

Post by 12bar1 »

A little over a year ago I got tagged by a delivery truck. I entered a corner well within my limits and had to stop at the yield sign for traffic. The problem was I was riding over the limits of the guy in the truck behind me. The end result $6800 in damage to the bike and some really brused feet on me (ATGAT). As others have said these bikes are built like tanks my sub frame was smashed the foot pegs, shifter and break pedal were toast. They were able to put my bike back together good as new so don't be surprised when they say it can be fixed. And best of all we are both still hear to talk about it.
Yer wanted by the police and my wife thinks your dead.
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

Dwayne,

This is meant to be encouraging, not critical.

20,000km of riding experience does not make one an experienced rider. For someone who rides a lot, that is only one half of a season. And, living in Canada, you have the additional challenge of not being able to ride through all four seasons.

If you do keep riding, I am confident that the crash will make you a better and wiser rider. It scares me to think how little I knew after 20,000km of riding.

mac
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

frozennorth wrote:Dwayne, the only thing that counts is that you are in one piece. Bikes can be replaced, body parts can't (well most of them anyway). Fix your baby or buy yourself another, learn from the experience, and get back out there and enjoy!! Riding is far too liberating to stop because of a little mistake.

Sooner or later everyone makes an error in judgement, the difference between a bike and a car is that a small error in a car means scaring yourself or ending up in the ditch a little shaken up. On a bike, it normally means pain and serious damage to your baby.

2 years ago I was riding up to the Hoodoo's near Drumheller. In a curve I got distracted by a survey team working near the ditch. I straightend the bike up a bit because of where I turned my head. That was enough to get me close to the outer edge of the lane. I tried to get her back but lost it. 70 mph + one bad curve = one written off GS, one trip to the emergency, one seriously freaked out wife (Mrs. North was riding behind me) and 3 months walking like someone had beaten me with a large stick. Good body armour kept me from having any spinal damage. Good helmet kept the brains where they are supposed to be.

Sorry about your ride. Let us know when you have your fixed/new one.

:D
FN, how badly did the Insurance company rape you for the GS? I'm going down the same road. Is it Blue Book vallue??
frozennorth
Lifer
Donating Member #: 506

Post by frozennorth »

Hey Dwayne:

They wanted to give me less than blue book :( Did I tell u that I hate insurance companies . . . thiefs :evil:

I decided I didn't want a claim against me, nor increased insurance costs, so I opted to not file a claim as nobody else was involved.

I then had a shop give me a total rundown of what was broken and what was whole. Listed this in the Bargain Finder, Auto Trader, and on Ebay. I found a guy who wanted a hobby project who took the bike "as is" and gave me an ok amount of money. I parted out the accessories like the Touratech hard cases, etc. I'm glad to say, that after he worked on the bike for about a year, it's back on the road . . . he did a beautiful job.

So, when I looked at the value of the bike as a write off as opposed to what I could get privately and what it would cost in increased insurance costs, I decided not to claim. I guess it also depends on your current financial condition. I was in a good position at the time, so I could absorb more of a loss short term for a longer term gain. If I would have been cash shy, I probably would have claimed.

I guess it also depends on what you can get another 05 for. I've been watching the buy and sell and there are some sweet deals. Bringing up a US bike is pretty easy. If you need help, let me know, I've been through that a couple of times.

Hope that helps. You've got my private email already if you need more info on buying/importing :)

Cheers

FN
Red 02, R1150R
Member # 506
I am an empty hospital!
Trainmaster
Basic User

Lost Bike On A Corner

Post by Trainmaster »

Don't beat yourself up! You aren't the first, and sadly you won't be the last. And whatever you do, DON'T give it up!

Learn from the experience, get back out there and be a better rider!
TM
'04 R1150R
Member #544
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Dwayne - I'm a little late in responding to your post. As others have said, everyone makes mistakes. I rode over 60k miles before I had my first accident last December, so it happens to people with any number of years and miles of experience. I lost focus because of cold and fatigue. Of all things, I lost control while going in a straight line having not properly disengaged a throttle lock that went on to overpower the front tire while braking. Talk about stupid! At least you went down in a curve. I couldn't even slow the bike down properly! My tenable excuse of course was that I had ridden 600 miles that day and the temps were falling fast. Regardless, I was poorly prepared for my trip and it was a major contributing factor for why I had my accident.

I have since my accident ridden over 9k miles already, so I can attest to the need to get back on the saddle, conquer our fears, and ride with a greater spectrum of knowledge under our belts.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
pjpockets
Basic User

down

Post by pjpockets »

Hey Dwayne. We have talked before, and I dont think much of you. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get another bike and just do it. When you have the bug, it will never leave you. I have been down four or five times, Im 60 and still on my Beamer. Mike.
dwayne
Lifer

Re: down

Post by dwayne »

pjpockets wrote:Hey Dwayne. We have talked before, and I dont think much of you. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get another bike and just do it. When you have the bug, it will never leave you. I have been down four or five times, Im 60 and still on my Beamer. Mike.
I've no idea who you are.
pjpockets
Basic User

Post by pjpockets »

Are you not Dwane the liberal?
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

pjpockets wrote:Are you not Dwane the liberal?
Hehehe, yaaaaaaaaaa. :lol: D W A Y N E. Odd, although I disagree with many people, I've never had anyone carry a grudge for so long. Well, whatever I did, said, implied, it's in the past. Move on my friend, I'll even buy you a beer just to have the pleasure of your company.

Cheers.