See the more current post for Bash '08

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Bill,
The last two years we have planned it the third weekend in May - right before Memorial Day weekend. That is somewhat weather dependant, since it can still be cold up north in April (hell, it SNOWED in late May in West VA!!).

I think it was mentioned last year, if someone can throw it together further south, then we could move it earlier in the year - maybe back to an April date. I think at this point Scotty may be planning something in the New York area, but I'm not going to speak for him.

This year RB (from Florida/Western NC.) put a ride together in late April in the Topton, NC. area, and he may be planning it again next year. If so, then I'm on board for that one too (it was a well organized weekend- I think better than the RA rally - but the RA had an excellent location this year!).
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
whaycoc
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Bash 08

Post by whaycoc »

Thanks John,

I'll follow the thread along and both April and May are normally open for me as my responsibilities with ROADGEAR usually begin in June for the Americade Rally.

I had a nice four day ride up to Americade this year (Lake George,NY) along the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive and then visiting a number of Civil War sites. It was really nice temperatures on the Blue Ridge even in June.

There are some great roads out of Rutland,Vermont and Rutland would be great for a Bash - only problem is it would have to be at least June before the weather would be predictable. The temperatures at Lake George, New York - Just a few miles west of Rutland was perfect!

I have four loop rides GPS'd that are out of Rutland and I really want to ride - was going to do them after Americade but a weather front moved in and I decided to wait until next year or maybe late this year. The four loops cover most of the great roads in that region! If anyone wants the Garmin routes just drop me a line and I'll email them to you.

I understand from reading the thread here there is concern for the Bash location as many are not close enough to easily attend. That is a legitimate concern and one that is tough to overcome. Location is so important as most of us like to go to a region that offers good riding and good weather.
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I have given up on good weather. I do not think that I have ever taken a trip on the motorcycle that did not involve at least 3 hours of continous hard rain. The snow in May was pretty unexpected.

Bill, what Civil War sites did you visit? I am thinking about a revolutionary war/civil war trip this fall(first week of October). Maybe all the way up to Ft.Ticonderoga(sp).

2 key things for the Bash: location and date.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

To all Bash '08 fans....

No definitive location as of yet. I've been out of commission the past month due to a low back injury so I haven't been able to ride/tour the potential locales.

I have a volunteer who attended this year's bash who lives in the general vicinity of where I'm looking to have the Bash.

There have been suggestions of a more Northeastern locale. Sure it's far for some, but it seems that all of the bashes in the past attract attendees from a radius of one to two days ride. So having a Bash in the northeast makes the ride longer for some, shorter for others.

A Bash that can accomodate all is impossible, but heck, the BMWMOA doesn't hold multiple rallies per year either!

Trust that if the locale is in the northeast, it will not be in the extreme northern part. Consider 'southern' northeast!

The WV bash this year had a great location but consider that it was easy to get to the border of WV and it took a good deal more time to get to the interior. Northeastern locales afford great low-mountain riding with great accesibility. (ease/proximity of interstates) that's if you want to take a quicker route.

So, stay tuned....
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
whaycoc
Lifer

Civil War Ride!

Post by whaycoc »

Hi Jeff,

Good to hear from you and certainly been a long time since we last rode together!

The best way to do a Civil War ride is to try and start at the beginning and follow the battle fields in sequence. Not hard to do as most of the major battles in the Virginia Campaigns were within 90 miles of Washington DC and Richmond. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia fought most of the better known battles of the war - not to leave out the western campaigns and Vicksburg, but Lee's campaign and the surrender at Appomattox is the way to start out.

If you have the time start out at Harpers Ferry (John Brown raid) then visit the following National Battle Ground Parks:

Manasses/Bull run
Fredericksburg
Antietam
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
Richmond/Petersburg
and end up at Appomattox Court House for the surrender site

All these have great museums and tours of the battlefield!

There are many others but these are the main ones that have easy access as they are now preserved as National Parks.

A good book to read before your ride is "Lee's Lieutenants" I have placed the Amazon web site below: It will provide a study of each major battle and much information about Lee and is Generals.

Here is a good web site to learn about each of these battles before visiting - try to be familiar with the battle and the commanders before going - will be more meaningful for you!

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundat ... attles.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Lieutenants- ... 0684859793

I would suggest you keep separate your study of the Revolutionary War and the Civil War - concentrate on one then the other.

Very few Revolutionary battlefields to visit now as most are cities and/or locations were not large enough to warrant becoming national parks. Yorktown is one that is worth visiting but little is left of the actual battlefield as it is now a fairly large town! I believe you will find the Civil War sites much more interesting!

Jeff, You are going to need more then a few days to do this tour - I spent almost 14 days on the ride I did - you need one full day at each battlefield to really appreciate the place! Gettysburg is worthy of two or even three days!

Let me know if I can help you plan - let me know the dates - maybe we could ride together! But remember, you need time to really visit and appreciate these places!
Huntsville, AL
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Bill, I did a HF, Antietam, Gettysburg run 2 weekends ago.
Fantastic area...

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=10707
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

Three State Forests, no stop signs
That's the comment made on one of the prize roads in the area i'm considering...

tomorrow i'll be contacting a bed/breakfast that can accomodate groups of 60 people!!!! plus it has All you can eat, full country-style breakfasts featuring homemade jellies, jams, apple caramel chiffon, pumpkin roll, and blueberry muffins!!!!

This place even has space for camping and tents! Can you say perfect for those who want to come early???

I'm getting giddy
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
whaycoc
Lifer

I'm for camping!!

Post by whaycoc »

Great work Scott and I really like the idea of camping and arriving early to allow time to really cover the region!
Huntsville, AL
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

My 07 riding season is booked... so it is groovy to have 08 to start planning for!

YUM sound like good stuff....How bout beer? Any good microbrews in the area?

:smt023
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

Beer? Hmmm...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

As a matter of fact, there are two microbreweries within a few miles of where i'm planning. :wink:

I've never had these particular beers so I can't vouch for them, but heck, isn't ALL micro beer at least half way decent?

I was going to assign a 'beer fee' later on so that I could arrange to have brews at the B and B, anybody see me go fetch beer this year with one side case on and a twelve pack strapped to the rear seat? Who wants to make a beer run in the middle of a state forest?

Once I clear the available weekends with this establishment, I'll be one step closer to announcing it here.
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Re: Civil War Ride!

Post by Biff's R »

whaycoc wrote: Let me know if I can help you plan - let me know the dates - maybe we could ride together! But remember, you need time to really visit and appreciate these places!
Bill,
I am thinkiing about the first week of October. I will send you an email in the next day or 2.

Scott, I can't to find out aout or 08 loation.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

TRANSLATION (Biffs R to board English)

Original: Scott, I can't to find out aout or 08 loation.

Should say, "Scott, I calculated the concrete set times for the 2008 Bash location."
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Post by Biff's R »

I am claiming sleep posting.

It should have been, "Scott, I can't wait to find out where we are going to go next year."

[/i]
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

I finally got my registration cleared up through doug and I would like to say it was a pleasure to be in attendance at the Bash in May. I thank my good friend cyclerob for the invitation and I look forward to seeing you all at the next Bash.

marty2 and I live close to one another and we get out frequently via the Sport-Touring.net Board.

Jim (CB919)
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Hey Jim! I was just showing someone pictures of our snow ride tonight! Good to have you on board!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

wncbmw wrote:Hey Jim! I was just showing someone pictures of our snow ride tonight! Good to have you on board!
Thanks Vann. I too shall remember our Friday jaunt up to Seneca Rocks. That was one big slurpee surprise courtesy of Mother nature.

Jim
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

I have the area set...the only reason I've held back is that i've been unable to get out there to preview the bed and breakfasts available. i've found some good ones online, though.

I need to know who's on board for a Bash north of the Mason Dixon line? Hint, it's not way north.
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
RBrider
Basic User

Post by RBrider »

Scott, anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon is way north!! But I'd try real hard to make the trip.

BTW, did you know that the Mason-Dixon line follows the border of Maryland and Delaware? It goes as far south as Ocean City Maryland. Just in case you were curious......

RB
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Bob, that's arcane knowledge!

Tell them about the 12 mile radius degree arc between Philadelphia and New Castle...
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.