Thank you for every piece of advice and encouragement.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Thank you for every piece of advice and encouragement.

Post by Soliton »

Some of you may recall that I had built a set of wire wheels and that the rear was fitted incorrectly and came off whilst I was riding it. The result of course was exceedingly tiresome and resulted in the bike being written off.

I love the shape of the R1150r, so I bought another, same year and colour and started again. I had "expert" advice from some folks that the 1150r was a poo bike to customise, but no one here ever offered judgement, just practical suggestions. I still have some things to do but an idea that started about five years ago is done. The wheels are on.

To everyone who assured me it couldn't be done and the 1150r was a crap bike anyway; "F@#k you"

To everyone who helped and encouraged, thank you.

"Better to live rich than die rich."
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Thank you for every piece of advice and encouragement.

Post by riceburner »

That's a fab looking bike!

Always good to silence naysayers!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Mrclubike
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Mrclubike »

Very Nice indeed!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know pictures are a pain
But some close ups of the special features would interesting
82 R65
04 R1150R
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Bitchen, thanks
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Mrclubike

Post by Mrclubike »

The R1150R is very versatile indeed
It can go the way yous is or the completely opposite direction like mine
82 R65
04 R1150R
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Soliton wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:08 pm I had "expert" advice from some folks that the 1150r was a ----- bike to customise,
I've been thinking about this, and I can't see what people would have against the 1150, and I can only assume that's a lack of familiarity with the bike that means people think this.

Think about it - it's designed in a very modular fashion, meaning that other BMW parts can be easily fitted, and further, the whole design: stressed engine as main frame member with sub-frames at either end; means that customisation can actually be taken to a very low level - the entire rear end (ie seat unit) can be fabricated easily and simply bolted to the engine. Similarly, it's not beyond any competent engineer's ability to customise the front sub-frame to allow for different tank/bodywork combinations.
Similarly, there's a LOT you can do with the relatively simple engine mechanics, and because the engine has been around a long time, there are PLENTY of performance enhancing ideas and products from small companies.

Take the ultimate BMW powertrain customisation...... The Peraves EcoMobile and MonoTracer/MonoRacer. Fully enclosed cabin-bike based off the flat-four K1200 "flying brick" engine/gearbox/final drive modular unit.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

If there ws a like button I would have hit it.
Nice job, it really looks complete.

=D>
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

Wow. Its stunning! Congrats on completing your project!
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Dgdecker

Post by Dgdecker »

Love the look, that’s a beaut!
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

Fantastic looking.
I have admired your previous R with it's customizations ,especially trimming the rear /seat subframe into a unique look.Kudos and a toast :smt030 *clink* to you for following your passion.
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

An absolutely beautiful motorcycle - I zoomed in and noticed the bare bracket on the rear mudguard and a wrinkle on the air filter cover; ridiculously so perfect! - I'd love to see the other side.
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

I didn't like the bracket either. I haven't installed this yet. But it is all welded up and painted.

Soliton

Post by Soliton »

I got asked about interesting things. I don't know what other people consider interesting but I know what made me smile.

1 - Bling doesn't have to cost. Fairing bolts and the banjo bolts can be mirror polished and they hold shine.

You don't have to pay 200 euros for a Monza fuel cap that maintains all of the original BMW locks and seals. Although 30 secs after I had built and fitted it I worked out a way to make it look neater.

Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Hi Soliton - that's not bling it's "Quality" - "the primary empirical reality of the world"

as every thinking motorcyclist has read in Persig's Book!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

It’s good to see your Black Beauty reborn as version 2.
Are the wheel rim surfaces polished or plated?
Ever since you showed us work and n the shortened tail of version 1, I have spent time doing the “sit & stare” exercise when one of my R1150R bikes was stripped down for service, modifications, or rebuild (as latest Rockster is presently). I’m still pondering option for such modifications.

We know you invested lots of time, money, sweat and tears on that first go-round, and applaud your perseverance to see this through.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

The rims are polished. The kicker was that they weren't when I bought them. They were anodised black all over. I had a strong feeling that the polished edge would look good so I stripped the anodising off by hand and then polished them. It was a little confronting to start sanding back a perfectly anodised set of wheel rims with 240 wet and dry. COVID gave me a whole lot of time to sit cross legged on the garage floor with 90 zillion used up bits of wet and dry scattered around me.

Turns out that once you get a shine on them it's fairly easy to keep them that way. A wee dab of Autosol aluminium polish and hight temperature hard wax.

Note to anyone considering this job.
1 - Get the wheel maker to mirror polish the spokes and nipples before the wheel is built. Doing them individually by hand afterwards is quite a bother.
2 - Don't bother spending the cash on off-the-shelf tubeless kits. The 3m tape works a treat. I supplemented it with the T-Rex equivalent and it sealed like a charm. Just make sure to do the surface prep on the inside properly.

Sol