Oil cooler cover fixings

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoof
Basic User

Oil cooler cover fixings

Post by Hoof »

Can anyone tell me where to get those oil cover fixings - I do not know what they are called. They are small cylindrical fixings of internally screwed brass with a grommet that holds the fitting in the hole so that the bolt can be screwed into it? Every time I remove the tank another one pops out and hides!
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Oil cooler cover fixings

Post by riceburner »

Iirc they're called wellnuts.

Motorworks will do them.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Welnuts...not to be confused with walnuts....good to know. I'm hoping that every time I take the tank on and off, I'll reduce my time in purgatory.
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Thanks Riceburner -Now that I know what they are called - I found Well Nuts all over the net and some actually gave dimensions which helped!
10mm holes in the tank. So: - Well Nuts 9.5 mm diameter to fit in the holes, 14mm long tapped for M5 bolts now ordered.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

There is a very necessary washer that goes with each screw! It fits snugly to the threaded screw diameter between the plastic cover and it partially covers the rubber Well-Nut head so it provides a solid "stop" for the Well-Nut's threaded insert. The washer is necessary so the Well-Nut does not get torn apart when the threaded brass inner ferrule is allowed to pass through the cooler cover's bolt hole, tearing away from the rubber "plug" part. That's why the Well-Nuts fail . . . the washer(s) fell away when the cover was removed and on the re-installation when the washer-less screws were tightened down, they will now have a new sensation of not "tightening down" all at once, but instead they slowly get harder and harder to turn. That's when the brass ferrule is tearing away from the rubber plug as it gets forced into the cooler cover bolt hole.
Also, when all the correct parts are tightened down the cover becomes very securely mounted.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Another self imposed problem with the well-nuts is overtightening them.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147