Recalls, Do I have to?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

GTS29640

Recalls, Do I have to?

Post by GTS29640 »

I have 2 recalls on my ’07 R1200R. One is for the fuel pump and the other is for the rear flange. A few years ago when I first heard about the fuel pump recall I pulled the tank and saw a few cracks in the pump flange. There was no recall yet so I made a clamp to go around the flange and forgot about it. Now it’s leaking and I have to do something. (I know, my fault for dragging my feet). When I talked with the dealer about it they looked up my VIN and saw both recalls. I told them I wanted to have the fuel pump done but wasn’t interested in the rear flange, at least not now. I was told I couldn’t do that. Once they have my bike they said they’re legally obligated to perform all the open recalls regardless of what I want. Has anyone run across this or know what the dealer’s legal obligations are?

BTW, I don’t want the flange done because there’s the potential for heat to be improperly applied near the final drive. I’ve read about a couple of people that had final drive failures shortly after the rear flange was replaced. Probably coincidental and I’m being overly cautious. I don’t ride 2 up, am not hard on the brakes and know how to use a torque wrench on the wheel studs and brake rotor. To me, the rear flange seems to be more of a risk than it’s worth. If I see cracks in the future I’ll address it then. Seems like that should be my choice.
Gary

2007 R1200R
1995 HD FXD
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Recalls, Do I have to?

Post by riceburner »

You may find that your insurance is invalidated if you don't have the recalls performed.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Think of the thousands of people that have had the recall done without a problem.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
GTS29640

Post by GTS29640 »

Valid points, and I didn’t think about the insurance angle.

How many final drives failed prematurely because of flange replacement is a number that will never be known. I consider the final drive to not be one of the more robust components on this bike. It’s certainly possible to get a bit too overzealous with the heat to save a few minutes during the busy season. I’ll ask the dealer about when the recall expires and decide what to do.

Thank you for your comments.
Gary

2007 R1200R
1995 HD FXD
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Not identical, but related:

My 2019 VW Jetta is subject to a recall to change the springs that raise the trunk lid. IMO, this wouldn' be an improvement, as the lid would then open with a fair amount of force and I can imagine it hitting an unwitting user in the chin. No thanks.

I've had the car in the dealer three times, and each time they put the recall on the service order. I then have to explain that I don't want the recall done. They always allow me to waive it, sometimes asking for my initials at the "declined" note on the SO.

All in all, this suggests the customer's still in charge, 'tho I acknowledge that "possible fuel leak" is a different kettle of fish from "weak trunk springs."
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
ClassicVW
Basic User

Post by ClassicVW »

Yes. You can refuse a recall for other than those deemed a safety issue.