Rear brake vent nut sheared off

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sunilsingh18
Lifer

Rear brake vent nut sheared off

Post by sunilsingh18 »

Brother BMW bikers,

Was working on flushing the rear brakes before the start of the riding season in Minnesota and ended up with a sheared off the nipple. The vent nut is unyielding - so far. It is still seated so the brakes work jut fine but I am not going to risk a ride with the current situation. The bike is non ABS and has BMW calipers - not Brembo. The options right now seem to be:

1. Remove the caliper assembly and force the vent nut out. A vent nut is available on the Bob's BMW website for about 14 bucks.

2. Remove the caliper assembly and force the vent nut out. Install a hollow nut and a speed bleeder available at Max BMW for about 20 bucks.

Would love to hear from the wise folks here who have some experience with similar issues. While I am at it is it worth while to install new brake pads too ? BMW boneyard pads are 35 bucks as compared to Max BMW at 75 bucks. Is there a significant difference between the two ?

Thank you for your inputs

Sunil
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Rear brake vent nut sheared off

Post by riceburner »

The caliper IS a brembo (it's just badged BMW, there will be Brembo written on it somewhere).

TBH, I'd probably just replace the caliper, and then maybe find an engineering shop to remove the bleed nipple from the original, IF they could reassure you that they'd be able to remove it safely without damaging the threads.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Two things you might try. I've had good luck removing broken bolts using a "left handed" drill bit. You can buy complete sets or individual bits from any good hardware store or even Harbor Freight. I'd remove the caliper and put it in a vise to hold it steady. Use a bit that's slightly smaller than the nipple. I'd soak the nipple good first with a good grade of penetrating oil like Kroil, CRC etc. You put the drill in reverse and start slowly to allow the drill bit to take hold.

The other method is to use an "easy-out" but I've had better luck with the first method.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

I'm happy I installed speed bleeders - have them front, rear and clutch. I need all the help I can get.
sunilsingh18
Lifer

Post by sunilsingh18 »

Thanks guys. Got the nut off and installed a hollow nut with a speed bleeder from Mx BMW. The brake pads were fine and did not need any replacement.

Ready for the 2021 rides around the Twin Cities.

Sunil