Battery Access and Starter Problem Resource

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Battery Access and Starter Problem Resource

Post by Bogdan »

The subject is a 2004 R1150R. Have any of you creative fellows found a way to access the battery without removing the tank? Maybe prop it just enough? For now, all I need is to disconnect the ground.

There was no sound from the starter during the first attempt - even though it turned over strongly on the second. Best to look into this before I get stuck somewhere. I was thinking there might be a faulty connection. Don't want to fry something while poking around.

Also...I haven't been able to find a resource for diagnosis of starter problems. Maybe someone has a link handy.

Bogdan Swider
http://bogdanswider.blogspot.com

Let us not look back in anger, not forward in fear, but around in awareness.
James Thurber
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Battery Access and Starter Problem Resource

Post by towerworker »

I too have an '04 and I understand your plight. To do all of what's necessary to get close to the battery you may as well remove the tank.
I never have understood BMW's design on battery location.

I know that's not the answer you want but tank removal is really a fairly easy procedure (much easier if near empty!) I've heard of guys propping the tank up but I've never done that.

When you say "there was no sound", can I assume you've checked all the obvious stuff.....side stand switch, kill switch, not in gear, clutch pulled in etc?

I've replaced my starter once, actually had the old one on and off 3 times one afternoon. I got so tired of removing that tank.......but I got good at it!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

It's less than 10 minutes to remove the tank, nearer 5 once you're used to it, and the same to re-install it, again: once you're used to it.

The main tricks for me are :
1) use a magnetic tray sitting on the fuel-cap (less going back and forth with each screw)
2) make sure the screws are ALL the same head (ie - so you use the same tool for all the small screws)
3) use a dab of coppaslip on each screw once every 5 or so removals (you don't need to re-apply every time)
4) replace the Wel-nuts when they wear out. (I've been lazy and not done this - but now totally accustomed to fiddling with the washer on the front lower wel-nuts where the washers tend to fall out.)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
garfieldus
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by garfieldus »

Bogdan wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:32 pm Have any of you creative fellows found a way to access the battery without removing the tank? Maybe prop it just enough? For now, all I need is to disconnect the ground.
For disconnecting the battery I have extended the earth cable to under the seat. I have the two terminals bolted together and covered in some bicycle tube as in the photo...

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Yes for the under the tank bat on the beemer a pair of short "pig tail" leads connected to the bat terminals with insulating caps over the terminal lugs that extend back to the top of the airbox is a good idea for access when jumping is required.

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER