Liqui-Moly?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Liqui-Moly?

Post by towerworker »

Wondering if any have used their products? I’ve run Guard Dog Moly in my final drive for maybe 15 years. 104k on an ‘04 and 52k so far on my ‘05 with no FD issues. The Guard Dog company ceased business several years ago and I’m on my last 16 oz bottle of their gear oil additive.

Liqui Moly 20012 SAE 75W-90 GL-4 Gear Oil
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Liqui-Moly?

Post by kirby »

I don't know what the content (% quantity) of the moly in the product mentioned but my manual calls for GL5 gear oil in the rear drive and trans (important).

Be aware that high speed roller bearings generally don't like moly because of the high surface area they can tend to "skid" because of the lack of sufficient rolling resistance.

If you have had good luck with these products then bravo...

Just say'n.
:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Liqui-Moly?

Post by towerworker »

I've been running Lucas gear oil (80/90) for well over 100,000 miles now(with moly). I could add 50K to that but that was on a previous R that is no longer with us.
But I've been running a moly additive (Guard Dog) in both on each FD service. One ounce per FD oil change. FD is still going strong in the '04 which a friend has now. I've got it in the '05 RT now, again with zero issues. The Lucas is rated GL-5 plus other ratings I'm not familiar with. The Liqui-Moly is as well. What attracted me initially to Lucas was the fact that their products target the big truck industry. And as I've mentioned the R has about 105K now. I only run the stuff in the FD as they tend to have a history. The gear boxes are pretty much bullet proof so just straight 80/90 there. (I've stayed away from synthetic)

So far so good.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint