Traded her in

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hyja1
Lifer

Traded her in

Post by Hyja1 »

Thanks all for the great info and experience from this site. I finally traded my r1150r (02 black) in. I now have a new 2022 ducati monster 937.... Almost 20 years of joy and memories with my bimmer. The dealer told everyone to come out and look at my 02. She was mint and clean and beautiful. But at my advancing age, I wanted something lighter and easier to muscle around the garage. And I was still worried about the splines, though she never missed a beat. I just thought it was time. Again, thanks to all.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Traded her in

Post by towerworker »

Congratulations on the new bike!

Here's wishing you many many trouble free miles going forward! I've never ridden a Ducati, I've only one friend who has one but it's a beautiful machine. Don't be a stranger and let us know how it goes. Also a pic would be nice!

Wayne
(aka Towerworker
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

Sold my 03 R to my son so it is still in the family. It’s his only mode of transportation besides a rental car. He has a beautiful 2007 Ducati ST 3 in my garage but he likes the R for urban riding. The R now resides in a parking garage in Hoboken, NJ. I’ve added a 2009 R1200GS and have restored a 71 R75/5 SWB and an 88 R100 RT to S monoshock.All fun bikes to ride😀
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

Wow — sounds familiar. About a year ago I sold my ‘02 R1150R (black), which I purchased new from BMW Manhattan. Twenty years of reliable smiles from that machine, and I never dropped it, even once. I’m still in the fold, though, with a 2016 F700GS. And I sold my sweet R to an enthusiast from California who clearly appreciates the classic oilhead experience. So it soldiers on….
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I wish I could say I'd never dropped any of the 3 r's I've owned but I can't. I remember dropping my '03 a time or two without any visible damage. Usually in a parking situation, and generally with an audience. I dropped my '04 a time or two and managed a broken left leg on one of those drops(2008) which was technically an accident. I've a rod in my left leg from knee to ankle as a result of that one. Thankfully that's never caused any issues at all. And finally I dropped my "05 RT in an accident on gravel 2 years ago and broke the right leg. I think I felt the need to even things up. I remember someone once told me...."there are two types of riders.....those that have been down........and those that are going to"..........

I guess I've smooth sailing from here on........
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint