R1150R vs R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MMH
Basic User

R1150R vs R1200R

Post by MMH »

Beginning to look for a bike. Seems like the main differences between the two are in tire size & engine power. BUT, the engine power seems huge! 109 Hp vs. 80 or 85. I was looking primarily at used bikes to try to keep the cost down, but w/ an MSRP of 12,600, will there be that much of a price differance? I would be looking for a CLEAN 04 or newer, low milage bike, not something that has been ragged out. So, what can I really get a bike like that for if I am patient, and will the difference in $$$ justify not going w/ a R1200R.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

IMO...The R1150R is like Cinderella.

The R1100R and R1200R are her ugly sisters.. :wink:

I'm sure you will be able to buy your own Cinderella for a good price.

Welcome to the forum.

DJ
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I heard a salesman say "around 13,800" after it's all done for the 1200. A 04 1150 can be had for almost half that.

Like most things, comes down to how much we want to pay. The new 1200 has put the 1150 in the enviable position of being a bigger bang for the buck than before.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

If you haven't ridden an R1200R/GS/ST, then the 1150 will be fine. I saw your other post about the overall use of the bike. The 1150R is a great all-round bike but it has a small margin for rider height. Too short and you'll have a hard time flat footing it when stopped. Too tall and the leg room is a little cramped. Otherwise, it is a great all-round bike. Realistic in the handling department (the bike is easy to ride at a brisk pace, which is perfect for the road), and enough power to get you in trouble (it's not a 150+ HP sportbike, but an easy to control powerband).

I'm with DJ on the R1100R models - not high up on the looks list to me, but if it floats your boat, then go for it. The R1200R is growing on me but the price keeps me away. Plus I think the R1150R is perfect overall in the looks department.

Check with your local dealers, most will offer test rides if you already have a motorcycle license. There's a good chance they would have each model at some point. That way you can at least get an idea of how the bike fits YOU.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I'm with SJBMW, bang for your buck on the R1150R. Also you might find an 1150 with the options that would run the price of the R1200 even higher. :wink:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Hopz
Basic User

Post by Hopz »

I did a test ride on the R12R yesterday... I can assure you the price is much closer to $16k+ than $14k, not counting the farkles...

See my road test review over at
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9820
Live to Ride, Ride to Lunch
R1100R- Dark Metallic
H-D Road Glide- Sweet Silver
SLEDGE
Basic User

Post by SLEDGE »

R1100R the ugly sister??? :evil:

Oh ya, those oil coolers hanging off the sides. :( Well I guess you take the good with the bad. But it dose preform well for me :)
R.D

"Don't take life too seriosly,because you'll neve get out of it alive anyway."
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

R1100R the ugly sister???
Just kidding SLEDGE...they're all good.. :D

DJ
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

I test rode the R12R last Oktoberfest and what got my attention most was how freely the bike seemed to rev. Compared to my Rockster (with 8000 miles on it), it felt broken-in fresh out-of-the-box. Freer-revving, lighter weight, and I concurred with another post-er that the R12R felt almost like... a toy. I took a 200 mile ride today in the Sierras (Sonora and Angel's Camp), and guess what? I did not use all 77bhp (or 83, 85, whatever) because I could only go so fast in the nice tight twisties; high speed in the straights doesn't strike my fancy, and the occasional black-and-whites patrolling the roads are not to be dismissed.

Was I faster on the R12R? I don't know, since I feel pretty fast when I'm on the Rockster. If it were only possible for me on the Rockster to go riding with me on the R12R, then I will know. But riding alone with the bike du jour, it is all relative.

Skin deep, I also rate the R1150R/Rx tops, followed by the R12R and lastly, the R1100R. Yes, they're the ugly step-sisters... and I kinda like those honking oil coolers hanging out there.
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Apologies to MMH - Hijack underway...

R1100R is perhaps the most seriously gorgeous road bike in 20 years (since the R90/6) except those oil coolers ruin everything. The sculpted tank and seat/rear cowl sections on that frame work - hits me right in the visceral response section of the brain except for those oil coolers.

Hijack over.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

MikeCam wrote:Apologies to MMH - Hijack underway...

R1100R is perhaps the most seriously gorgeous road bike in 20 years (since the R90/6) except those oil coolers ruin everything. The sculpted tank and seat/rear cowl sections on that frame work - hits me right in the visceral response section of the brain except for those oil coolers.

Hijack over.
More hijacking - I partially agree with Mike - the bike has great lines and I'm somehow drawn to the looks of the bike, until I see the oil coolers. It looks like they were an afterthought of the bike's design.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
joe bar
Basic User

Post by joe bar »

My 6,000 mile Rockster came with all the bits and luggage at a lot less than half the price of the 1200R.

I'm sure the 1200 is a good bike - but twice as good :?: :?:
Valueman
Lifer

Post by Valueman »

MMH,

I hate to state the obvious, but check out the "for sale" section here. I know there is at leasy one 04 model listed for sale - becasue its mine :)

Check here, check cycletrader.com, etc.

VM
Brownw3
Basic User

Post by Brownw3 »

I've had the opportunity to ride the R1200R and I was super impressed. THe ASC, THe ABS, all the acronyms turned me on (+ the ASC would maybe prevented my wicked superslab mishap)

Anyway with bags and all goodies, it is a very expensive motor scooter. I might even be in for an RT once the money gets all spent. I paid $10,000 for my Rockster, brand Spankin, with ABS, bags, tankbag, R handlebars and free Pepsi at the dealer.

A big price jump but one fine motorcycle.
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

My friend Nate and I were riding in the hills the other day (he with a new R1200R and me with my Rockster), when he suggested that we swap bikes for a twisty stretch of asphalt coming up. Now my friend Nate here has been known to spend some time hanging around the tracks, having ridden an R1100S and now does most of his knee sliding on an R1200S.

It was interesting to observe the fine lines of the R1150R series bike while aboard another mount, and I still have no regrets choosing the Citrus color option. I could spend lots of time just soaking up its visual appeal, if it weren't so hard squinting to see it as it disappeared into the distance ahead. This R1200R is quite capable, but dammit, ol' Nate there just took off on the Rockster. I guess I own one helluva capable bike too!

Ahem, I think I just nodded off for a sec there... now where was I?
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
Oilhead
Basic User

Post by Oilhead »

MikeCam wrote:Apologies to MMH - Hijack underway...

Hijack over.
I always thought the R1100R was a gorgeous bike in a weird way. The Dolphin Blue and the Ascot Green ones were the best! :D
2002 BMW R1150R
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
1996 Ducati 900SS
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

The helmet lock on the R1150R is much better than on the 1200 series.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R