Brake noise

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

winkeldc
Basic User

Brake noise

Post by winkeldc »

I know this forum doesn't see much traffic anymore, but thought I'd try.

'08 R1200R. I have this intermittent brake noise I believe is related to the front calipers, sounds like the pad is shifting and rubbing on something. I don't use grease on the back of the pads. It happens only at slow speeds when I am light on the brakes and everything works otherwise. Neither caliper is sticking or anything like that. The pistons move freely, I checked that when I cleaned the calipers earlier this summer. The rotors are nearly finished, I am pushing near the wear limits but still within spec, and I know one front one has a slight warp to it as I can hear that point when the tire rotates without brakes being applied. The only thing I can guess is I have a glazing issue. Mid summer I pulled the pads while cleaning the calipers to check for frozen pistons and lightly sanded them and the noise went away for 1500 miles. I changed the pads last year because of the same noise, and the noise had disappeared for a couple thousand miles only to return this summer. The bike has almost 60k miles on it, but is not my daily anymore so I don't ride it as often as I used to. I likely will be splitting the bike to replace the clutch and all the seals next year, and figured I'd get new rotors then. But before I do all that, I'd like to figure out this issue in case I need to fix something else first so I don't damage new pads and rotors.

Anyone have any thoughts?