Clutch slave failure

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Clutch slave failure

Post by sstein »

Went to change fluid in clutch master cylinder and it was black. Changed the fluid with lots of flushing and rode for a while. Eventually, while riding suddenly lost all clutch pressure and had smoke from the engine. I assume the slave cylinder seal corroded and gave out spilling fluid into the clutch housing.

Question (sorry if it's a dumb one): do I NEED to get into the clutch housing to inspect and clean it out? Or can I just replace the slave cylinder and let whatever is happening inside the housing burn itself out? I ask because the slave replacement seems a lot easier than opening up the whole clutch housing.

Not sure if this site is up and running, but if so, nice to see it.

Steven
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Clutch slave failure

Post by towerworker »

It appears not many are checking this site very often. Me included. Apologies!

I'm making an educated uess here and will say that if the clutch fluid has reached the clutch disc then the disc in contaminated and will need to be replaced. I've not yet had a failure there and am on my original clutch. You might want to also post your question on the R1200 section to get more possible answers. Good luck!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Thanks. The slave failure was all my own fault as I lost track of checking the fluid. Reposted in R1200R.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

So what was the remedy? Did repair necessitate pulling bike apart?

Next winter I'm due for Rockster#2 disassembly, clutch splines inspection and installation of Roadster overdrive transmission.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)