R1150R Quit

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

R1150R Quit

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I was on my way to work yesterday, I leave at 0410, got about 3 miles from home, about 1.5 miles on Interstate 10, when the engine died, sounded like the bike ran out of fuel, the tank was full .
Got towed home form insurance company roadside assistance .
When I got home from work, it was 117 F, 113 F in the garage, tried some trouble shooting, fuel pump runs and shuts off, ignition is good .
Removed the fuel tank checked all the fuel lines, I get fuel flow with the ignition to the on position .
Operated the starter with the throttle full open no fuel smell out of the exhaust .
So it is a fuel delivery issue .
Called the dealer that I bought the bike from 21 years ago and the service manager told me they don't work on bikes older that 10 years old, due to the extreme heat here in Phoenix there is usually a lot of degraded parts and wiring and with my bike being 21 years old, a good chance that parts are no longer available .
I was given two independent shops and work on BMW's and was pretty much told the same thing the dealer had said .
They would be more than willing to look at the bike, but usually the outcome is not very good .
The shop closest to me said their shop rate is $110 an hour not uncommon to spend anywhere from 6-8 hours trouble shooting only to find out that parts are no longer available .

My question to the forum, anybody have any ideas on where to go from here on trouble shooting, I have the BMW maintenance manual CD's, but unless you have their diagnostic equipment the manual is pretty useless .
Thanks in advance for any assistance .

Update, I found an adapter cable that will allow you to use an OBD scanner for automotive use on BMW motorcycles, so I have one on order hopefully I made have an idea on where to go with this .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: R1150R Quit

Post by towerworker »

So apparently fuel is getting to the injectors but sounds like it's not getting out of them into the cylinders (since there's no fuel smell in exhaust). I wonder if there is a loss of spark as well. I say that wondering if the hall sensor triggers the injectors (by way of the motronic) as well as the ignition coil. Since yours is a single spark it should be easy to see if you have spark. I'm just putting forth a guess here because I don't know if both are triggered by the hall sensor. I'd be interested to know if that cable you order will work with your OBD scan tool. I've got two scan tools and have been resisting the urge (so far) to buy a GS-911. My Clymer shop manual is across town at my shop but I'll be going there later this morning to pick up something else. I'll get the manual and bring it back home. I'll go thru it a bit and see if I can get any more ideas. (hopefully some good ones!)

Wayne
540-448-5767
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: R1150R Quit

Post by towerworker »

Looked in the Clymer book. Apparently the Hall sensor controls only spark. You don't suppose a sidestand switch failure? That would be odd for sure. Just wondering what would interupt fuel delivery.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint