Arkansas Traveler - (not good for dial-up)

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Arkansas Traveler - (not good for dial-up)

Post by GypsyRR »

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces foward and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable."—Helen Keller

And

"Life is…a fatal adventure. It can have only one end. So why not make it as far ranging and free as possible?"—Alexander Eliot

With thoughts like that continually strolling around in my mind, I decided it had been too long since I had “behaved like a free spirit in the presence of fate”. I needed to go off on another solo adventure.

So on Wed. July 11, I put in my mind to leave by the next morning on my first camping trip and my longest motorcycle trip – and solo as usual. I worked late into the night, but managed three hours of sleep and then woke to load the bike and take off. My only plan was to get to Arkansas. Once there, I would let the weather, roads, and rivers dictate my wanderings (in that order). 1800+ miles, camping (2 motel nights) and many people with many stories they shared with me. Many roads and many sights. Too much for a ride report, really.

Below are a few maps of the routes I took each day with a bit of explanation and a couple more photos following. No day was a marathon day. The first was probably the longest at 387 miles. My traveling days were not meant to be an exercise in distance, but rather a discipline in “seeing” that which I often overlook and hearing those I often ignore. It was more about wandering than arriving and more about gaining some confidence after a year of losing.

After the maps – a few photos with short explanations. Then a list of some things I learned.

I wasn’t sure what route I would take, but I had heard someone say 259 all the way to the Talimena Parkway was the quickest, so that is what I did. I ended up camping (for the first time since I was 4) at Beaver’s Bend State Park on Broken Bow Lake. I pulled in when it was almost dark, but got a great spot. There were even showers. I wasn’t sure if campgrounds had them or not. Later I found out that some do not, and I learned the art of bathing by an outdoor faucet, a sink, or a river.

My campsite

I hung this every night from the center of my tent as a reminder

A clean tent.

The next morning – a look at the lake below my tent. The fog was beautiful.

I felt great waking from my first night on the ground (well, I had a self inflating mattress pad to help with comfort). I thought I would probably head further north to make sure I was away from rain. First, though I had to try out the camp showers. Nice. Really. I was surprised. But I was more surprised when I stepped out of the showers to find rain coming down in buckets. I went back to my tent and sat, and sat, and sat. Finally, when it began to let up, I started packing up. A ranger came along and asked if I had any experience riding in the rain because it was raining everywhere. Disappointment set in, but since I didn’t have an agenda or an itinerary, it didn’t matter. Just point me in the direction where I will be out of rain the soonest. He called a dispatcher and said if I would continue on north, I would be out of rain within 1-2 hours. Cool. I loaded up.

The on again, off again rain and heat and humidity was frustrating and tiring. Getting only three hours of sleep two nights before and then difficulty falling to sleep in a tent the night before left me pretty tired. Plus the continual concentration can really drain you more than you realize at the time. Fighting rain, wet roads, and fatigue had me stopping in Smithville just to regroup and get out of the rain for a while. That is where I bought my Arkansas map and started getting an idea of where I would end up. I noticed a town in Oklahoma named Muse, so being a bit of a mystic, I decide to take a detour to Muse before I continued on my trip. (Yes, I was amused)

Then I was on my way to the Talimena Parkway. I only saw one or two cars and one bike on it. I must have hit Arkansas at just the right time, because there were hardly any people on the great motorcycle roads. After a while all the vista/scenic overlooks began to look alike, so I just rode like the wind and enjoyed every twist and turn and climb and descent. I would recommend the parkway. However, I found the overlooks to be disappointing because often you couldn’t see over the ‘foreground’ of bushes/trees to see the background. Maybe it just hasn’t been cut in a while because of all the rain.

At the end of the Parkway is a state park called Wilhilmina. It’s very nice and had this cool train there

Once in Mena, I looked for a place to stay because I wanted to head north. However, there were no rooms left, so back on the road – to Hot Springs.

I took 88 to 270 into Hot Springs. 88 was a nice road and I would ride it again. It was dark by the time I left Mena, so camping was out of the question and I had also split open my knee while photographing in Wilhilmena park, so I needed a place where I could do some “doctoring”.

I didn’t care for Hot Springs very much. Too touristy for my taste. I did ride up and down the main streets of town a couple of times looking for a place to sleep, and found it interesting, but not inviting (personal opinion). There were absolutely no vacancies in the whole town. I have no idea what was going on in town, but I was tired and wanted to sleep. It was 10:30 when I checked the last place. Finally, someone sent me to Malvern saying I could probably find a place there. I stopped at the first place I came to and sure enough they had a room for me. She was kind to put me on the end and even let me park my bike up right close to the room.

Day 3 and Day 4

The motel room gave me the opportunity to check the weather channel. It seemed I would stay pretty dry if I stayed north of 40 and west of 7. I had heard mixed comments about scenic highway 7, but since there was so little traffic everywhere else (except Hot Springs) I decided to give 7 a try. I am soooo glad I did. It was absolutely one of the most fun rides I’ve taken on my bike. Not many people, but some. I met some interesting characters at stops along the way on 7. It’s a real motorcycle road, for sure.

Meet Terry and “Seven” Smith (I think that is his last name). He goes around promoting motorcycle safety on this purple Cajun machine with his dog “Seven”.

Terry rescued Seven from hwy 7 two years ago when he looked like this:

He got him healthy and at the time I met Seven, he had been 28,000 miles with Terry on that bike. He rides leashed in the pillion seat, not the cage. He has been in commercials and filmed with several different celebrities (including me)! He only wears his helmet in the winter though.

Sort of reluctantly (and I can understand why!) Terry handed me the traditional Mardis Gras beads that he gives out to rally attendees in Louisiana……… usually men, of course. He said, “Well, I always give these out, but uhm, well, um,,……. You can have these, but you probably shouldn’t wear them while you are up here riding and camping alone.” Right. So I’m offering them for sale – proceeds go to the r1150r.net board.

I talked with Terry for about an hour and then had some conversations with other riders all through out the day. Lots of comments about the BMW – but I never saw another one……. Until, I passed one on 7.

Next campsite Petite Jean

After a late start in the a.m., I loaded up again (getting better at packing each time) and headed further north to avoid rain again. This time I stayed on 7 some more and ended up having a game of ‘chase’ with some squids (not my choice).

I went to Lost Valley Campground. What a pretty place. I staked my claim on site #2 and set up my tent, but left my bike pretty much loaded because I was in a hurry since I wanted to go fishing on the Buffalo River. Lost Valley is right across from an Elk Preserve where they were reintroduced in the 80’s – and thriving. One thing I noticed about Arkansas however, is that they do not have a lot of places to pull over on the side of the road. No safe shoulders along the roads I traveled. That’s frustrating for someone who wants to take pictures along the way. So I never did get any photos of the Elk. This is a pull out for the Elk Preserve, but they are usually not at this spot – and never during the heat of the day. They are usually about 300 yards down where there is no pull out.

and the campsite

So off I go to the Buffalo River – just one mile down the road. Lots of stares came my way when I pulled up on my bike and offloaded a fly rod, fishing pack, water, and camera gear. A few were fishing right at the bridge with regular fishing tackle. I slipped into my wading gear in the restroom and then loaded with gear slung around neck, shoulders, and waist I walked past them, stepped into the water and just kept walking up stream for about 1.5 miles. There I was in complete solitude and was able to go swimming in the deeper holes and fishing as well. The water was low (surprising to me since they had so much rain) and was not running very fast. I knew there would not be trout in this area because the water was too warm. But there were a lot of bluegill. Look at this guy:

(should have moved that rock blocking his mouth)

Those are his natural colors – no photoshop done at all. The water is pretty clear but the rocks all have a golden color so it gives the river a golden look.

gear

deep swimming holes

And there was this mystery fish/amphibian which I “speared”.

My ego deflated when I got it out of the water and realized it was not a fish after all.

After fishing for a few hours and catching/releasing, I got back on the bike and headed to Jasper on 74. 74 is an awesome road and I enjoyed riding it as many times as I did. I would always ride it again. In jasper I intended to pick up cell service and some water and wash some clothes. It was getting dark when I finished, so I headed back toward Ponca and Lost Valley over the mountain. Buckets of rain started to fall on me. It was very frightening trying to maneuver those mountain roads with water, mud, and gravel rushing over them and gusts of wind hitting me in the bends. I made it back to Lost Valley Campground, but the area where my tent was set up was slopping mud. I decided to park under the pavilion and move my tent up there for the night. While setting up camp under there I met James and Cristine – a young boy/girlfriend who just graduated from high school out on their second extended camping trip (from Dallas).

The rangers were not happy in the morning when they found me there. We had a discussion and then I was on my way…….. but dry!

DAY FIVE

Day five was spent mostly just riding and checking out two places for a possible gathering of BMW riders from this board in the Fall – if you are interested.

I headed north to Eureka Springs and found the Riders Rest – a motorcycle only motel. $45/night for a double or a single. Covered parking for the bikes and a pavilion/bar/grill – but all bring your own. She has openings for the last weekend in Sept. or the first weekend in Nov. If interested, let me know and if there are enough people, I’ll secure it. Photos.

After checking out Eureka Springs and the historic district, I headed south on 23 to ride the Pig Trail – Arkansas’ version of the Dragon’s Tail.

First I saw the nice barn. I stopped to get a picture and the next thing I know I’m surrounded by chickens and roosters. I had to stop traffic to keep them from being hit. Eventually, I crossed the road with them to keep them on the barn side of the road.\

Finally down to the Pig Trail. It really was a nice road. Lots of ascents and descents and lots of twists and turns. I rode it twice and saw a total of 2 trucks and 2 cars. It is very shaded with huge trees hanging over the roads so that was a nice break from the heat of the day. Definitely ride 23 north of Ozark if you ever go to Arkansas.

I stopped at this little motel in Ozark. Not camping tonight because I arrived late again, and I intended to visit the wine country of Altus the next a.m. anyway. This is a nice place. Also $45/night and they cater to motorcycles as well. A sweet older couple run this place and are quite fun. I really enjoyed visiting with them. What a warm and kind welcome they extended to me. And the room I had was clean, and the bed was very comfortable - big King Size too. Plus the room had a refrigerator, coffee pot, and microwave. More than I needed, but I made note of it for future trips.

I think they saw me coming and put this sign up - hoping I'd do the chores.

Here’s the motel

And the Arkansas river bridge in Ozark at night

It would be easier getting rooms at the Ozark Motel rather than Biker’s Rest, and they have plenty of openings for the fall if any are interested in gathering. It is close enough to some good riding and also only 15 miles from Altus, the wine country of Arkansas.

Day Six

Day Six was a long day starting with taking a look around Ozark and then the "wine country" of Arkansas, just a few short miles from Ozark on 64.
I visited the town of Altus where most of the vineyards are located. The vineyards are nothing like the vineyards of California, but it was a nice little side trip diversion. I didn't stop at any of the wineries because I was short on time after visiting a beautiful old church on St. Mary's Mountain. For those interested; Altus hosts awine festival in September each year. Wine making began in this area around 1880 when a Swiss family, the Wiederkehrs came to Arkansas. Wiederkehr winery, located just a mile or so north of Altus, is the oldest and largest winery in mid-America. They offer tours and also have a restaurant on the property. I heard a lot of good things about the restaurant, but I did not go in.

Another thing that might interest some of you is that an episode of "The Simple Life" with Paris Hilton was filmed in Altus. From what I read, the locals were not impressed with Paris.

View of the area from a hill above

On the way to the vineyards, however, I did find this really pretty church (built 1901 with stone quarried from the area) and since my “signature photos” have somehow become churches…… well, I couldn’t let you down.

Then I started my slow return toward home. I needed to hurry to the next place to camp. Late again – too many sights along the way and people to talk to. But eventually I made it to a State Park south of Mena called Collcott (I may have missed that spelling).

On the way, I met Theona – a real live hippy who lives alone with 4 boys under 10 in a house she and her husband built while he was still living with her. However, they still do not have running water. She told me all about her life and I enjoyed listening to her stories and was amazed at her stamina. She on the other hand is waiting for her boys to grow up so she too can get a BMW and travel. We had a good time visiting.

Then there was Bob and Sandy and their dog Ziggy. I had put a pair of earrings in the day before and one of them is such that it does not fit right in my left ear. But, I forgot to check and so it ended up in the left ear. I could not get it out and every time I removed my helmet it would rip or pull or get stuck in the helmet. After two days of this I was miserable. Finally at a rest stop I saw Bob with a truck that looked like it carried tools. So I asked if he had some wire cutters. Sure. So I held on to Ziggy while he dug around for wire cutters. Found, he handed them to me and asked If there was something wrong with the BMW. “Oh no, nothing wrong with the bike. I just can’t get this earring out of my ear and I need to cut it out.” He went pale and begged me to wait for his wife to return from the restroom. I assured him I could do it with my mirrors, but he was just getting more frantic, so I waited for Sandy. She wanted to try to salvage the earring. I knew there was no saving it. So after pushing and pulling and finally drawing blood, she realized that cutting them was the only way to go. So one snip and I was finally free and they were tossed in the can next to us. We talked a while and they shared some stories with me and then we parted ways. What a neat couple they were.

Finally – I arrive to camp after coming through some rain. It’s not fun setting up camp in drizzling rain or a hard rain for that matter. (you can see the peanut butter in there if you look. My sustenance and addiction

DAY SEVEN
It was a pretty place, but I needed to clean up the tent quite a bit from all the rain and mud, so I took off after 10 and took my time getting to Daingerfield, Texas. I returned over the Talimena Parkway, but it was raining off and on and steam was rising off the pavement. It cleared eventually and I got these shots.

I stopped by Beavers Bend again just because I wanted to see it during the daylight – minus the rain.

Next – Daingerfield State Park and fishing again. I crossed the Red River and made record time because I was able to travel pretty fast along those long stretches of road

The park is nice and has some good shaded spots and a nice lake for fishing.

And did I mention fish?

Day 8 – and I don’t want to go home

Rolling through Tyler

A highlight along the way though, was Ben. We met at a gas station and he told me stories about growing up in East Texas. He hangs out at a gas station and just opens doors for people just to have contact with them. But this isn’t his town. He lives a few miles away. He told me he comes here so people won’t talk about him so much. Then he warned me that there was probably people talking right now about the fact that “hat man wuz talkin’ to a white girl, and what people gonna say ‘bout dat?” He told me left Texas for economic reasons – he couldn’t make money there and so he joined the Army and went to Vietnam. Then for 40 years he lived and worked in Colorado and came BACK to Texas for economic reasons – it’s cheaper to live here once retired. He thought that was an interesting point he made and stressed it a few times. He listens to Lou Dobbs every day, and so I got an earful of Patrick’s Playhouse stuff while we visited. He was glad when I asked if I could take his photo.

The trip home from there was spent reviewing in my mind things I would do differently and things I learned. I'll share:
1) I need to learn how to build a fire
2) I need to spend less time traveling and more time meeting people and listening to their stories
3) I need a voice recorder
4) I need better rain gear
5) Traveling w/o an agenda is wonderful and usually works out fine
6) There are few things necessary
7) Darkness does not mean "bedtime" to me - that's a problem when camping in desolate places w/o electricity or fire or a companion/friend/SO/spouse/someone, or something to do.
8 Load the bike evenly - not necessarily "neatly". the first day it was neatly packed but the weight was not evenly distributed.
9) Hydration pack!
10) The first aid kit needs to include antibiotic ointments. I injured a knee and it got infected by river water.
11) My confidence grew and I am a better rider and a better and a stronger person for facing my fears. Some confidence is beginning to return and I almost can say convincingly, "I'm competent" and believe it as well.
12) I think I understand trail braking now.

And I'm sure I'll think of more as the days go on.

The rest of the way home was spent looking for a good turn around spot because I felt more alive in a tent than I do in a big ol' house. It seems I can never get traveling out of my blood. I guess I was born to wander. Peregrinate – that’s what I’m best at doing. And so is my bike. As I rolled up the driveway a song by Third Eye Blind, "Motorcycle Driveby" was playing on my iPod and the last words as I turned off the bike were, "I have never been so alone, and I have never been so alive." Right.

Last edited by GypsyRR on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
r1150rider
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by r1150rider »

Nice images and write-up, as usual! When I take off for a few days on a ride, I have a general idea about where I'll spend the 1st night and only a vague notion of which direction the whole trip will take from there. I'm a "map kind of guy", something satisfying about stopping on the shoulder and figgering out which way to go. I'm certainly not knocking gps, in fact I'd like to have one that would record my track on a file that I could save.

I once rode through a large herd of cattle in either Wyoming or Montana, sure glad they didn't follow me like your chickens did...
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Technically, you didn't spear a fish, you gigged a frog!

But small niggles aside, what a spectacular trip!

First, you've shown us you are a totally accomplished rider (and camper).
Second, you scouted good roads and places.
Third, great pics as always (and annotated maps, geez, such standards to meet)!

Good gear selection, by the way. Sierra Designs makes excellent tents. The sleeping pad (it's not an air mattress, right?) and sleeping bag-- what brands/ratings/specs?

How much, if any, oil did the bike consume? Any other mechanical bits of info?

What brand tires and how did they wear?

Finally, is granite grey faster than black?
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Ian
Basic User

Post by Ian »

Top read Gypsy - i think it time to disappear for another long run
Ian

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Thanks GypsyRR...Fantastic pictures...and great report...you have a beautiful country...I must get there one day.

Thanks for going to the effort to post all those pictures for us and write the report..It would have taken you hours.

Most people don't realize how much effort goes into posting a great ride like yours...I sure appreciate it.

Most of your pictures are postcard quallity...I will have to up-my-anti on my next ride to keep up with you.. :wink:

That pic of the fish half out of the water is a ripper...and that last pic with your reflection in the mirror...how many shots did you take to get that perfect shot?

DJ
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Wow.
:smt038 :smt041 :smt026 :smt041 :smt038 :smt026 :smt041 :smt038
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Ditto from DJ.
Thanks so much.

Incredible journey....and the underlying theme of it all... let me tell you girl... join the MOA, they will publish your stuff EVERY month in the Owner's news.

YOU bring a perspective all your own. Since no one here gets out alive, the only true currency is the connections we make while we are here.
Thanks.

And one more thing:
TWO HANDS ON THE HANDLEBARS AT 110MPH!!!!!
are yous crazy?
your scarin' me!!!

:)
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Impressive trip and an equally impressive report to go with it. Thanks for sharing - And a good list of things you learned. It will make the next trip even better. Very nicely done.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Very nice. I really enjoy your narrative as well as the usually 'perfect' photos. Those places definitely have some strong possibilities for a Fall Bash location.
Good job! Now where's the slide show? :D
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Well, the standard for ride reports keeps going up! I can't compete! :lol:

Excellent report and photos Gypsy!

And in all the reports on trip emergencies, I believe this is the first involving an earring! :P

I might be able to go to a Fall Bash, if it is late September or November!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
mad1150
Basic User
Donating Member #: 522

Post by mad1150 »

Amazing! from start to finish Gypsy.
My traveling days were not meant to be an exercise in distance, but rather a discipline in “seeing” that which I often overlook and hearing those I often ignore. It was more about wandering than arriving and more about gaining some confidence after a year of losing.
Seeing the overlooked - Achieved
Hearing the ignored - Achieved
Wandering vs arriving - Achieved
Gaining confidence - Achieved

Your self-confidence should be full to the brim with these and other achievements from this trip.

Thank you for the great pictures, and outstanding report!

As always - You Rock!
Mark - Member 522

04 R1150R (Silver)
priapismic
Basic User

Post by priapismic »

Great write-up and picts, Gypsy, as always! Wish I had picked up on your thread prior to your leaving - I was late in checking the board, and only got to read about your trip the morning it would have started for you. You came right through my neck of the woods - I live just north of Tyler, between Gilmer and Mineola on your final day map - and I could have recommended or even shown you some tasty back roads in Northeast Texas that would have gotten you off the main highways and around the city traffic.

Arkansas is my stomping grounds - I can run up to the Talimena Drive for lunch and be home for dinner. The Pig Trail, Petite Jean, scenic highway 7 ... Again, if I had known you were headed that way, I could've given you some tips on roads and things to see. Looks like you found your way around pretty well, though. I admire and congratulate you on your eye-opening and life-changing trip. You Go, girl!

A Beakster Bash would work well in that part of the country, and I would definitely be interested. I would vote for late September over early November, if you book into the Rider's Rest in Eureka Springs, since I already have plans for the first weekend of November (anyone else want to join me in the Texas Hill Country? Check out http://hometown.aol.com/dallaskrsrider/HSTATHC.HTML )

Let's keep up the dialogue about a fall gathering in Arkansas, I'll do whatever I can to facilitate it and help organize it. And thanks again, Gypsy, for sharing your story and picts.
Viagra Donor and well-known reprobate and provocateur ....
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Post by Caol »

Thank you Gypsy! Awsome!

You've got me wandering around the Mountain Equipment Co-op website looking at camping gear! (Haven't done that in.... well.... too long!)

r1150rider wrote: I'm certainly not knocking gps, in fact I'd like to have one that would record my track on a file that I could save.
r1150rider, I've used to use a Garmin eTrex Legend and am now using a Garmin GPSMap60CSx to do just that. (track logs for download to the computer) I've also put the tracks into Google Earth and keep track of all my out-of-town travels. The Garmin handle bar mount (all of $20 or so) works well and the units are small enough that they're not intrusive. I keep mine showing speed, trip odometer and "time moving" and reserve the actual navigation capability for when I'm well and truly lost (pretty rare - mostly ;-> )

Kyle
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Re: Arkansas Traveler - (not good for dial-up)

Post by DSKYZD »

GypsyRR wrote: 11) My confidence grew and I am a better rider and a better and a stronger person for facing my fears. Some confidence is beginning to return and I almost can say convincingly, "I'm competent" and believe it as well.

Excellent! Welcome to the club.
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

priapismic wrote: Arkansas is my stomping grounds - I can run up to the Talimena Drive for lunch and be home for dinner. The Pig Trail, Petite Jean, scenic highway 7 ...
A Beakster Bash would work well in that part of the country, and I would definitely be interested. I would vote for late September over early November, if you book into the Rider's Rest in Eureka Springs, since I already have plans for the first weekend of November

Let's keep up the dialogue about a fall gathering in Arkansas, I'll do whatever I can to facilitate it and help organize it. And thanks again, Gypsy, for sharing your story and picts.

YOU ARE DELEGATED - see the Arkansas in Autumn thread in Group Rides. Seriously - I need some help.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
TonyT607
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 156

Post by TonyT607 »

Gypsy, another "BRAVO ZULU" !

Great report and pics but more importantly, a great ride.
You really should consider submitting to the BWM MOA "Owners News" for publication.

Congrats on meeting your challenges as you ride down the road of self discovery.
Tony
Lifetime #156
2013 K1600GT
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

Thanks, Tony.

At Herb's recommendation, I just joined BMW MOA today. I'm looking into submitting a report to them.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Great trip, great writeup! Thanks for taking us along with you!
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

+1
+1
+1
+1
on all of the comments above.

With quality like this, I am afraid nobody else is going ever post another ride report.

I have a favor to ask you. I like the PIAA light mounts that you have. Where did you get 'em? Could you post some close up pictures, info, pricing, sometime?

Thanks for the great report :!:
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

I'll have to look it up. I just had the dealership mount them for me. I think I put it in a recent post.

Here it is:

Installed: 2001-0063 Lamp Kit 1100X 55W=85W ($220.00)
Installed: RCU05555: BMWSL Light Mounts R1150 RT ($85.00)

About the PIAA's - something I recently learned.

The replacement bulbs are $40.00 each. However, you can use a standard 55w halogen bulb until your replacement comes in. If you look in the pictures - up close, you will notice the two do not look the same. that is because I had a PIAA burn out about 3 days before I left. I went to the dealership to get a new one and he did a search and found only 1 (ONE!!!) in the country. He ordered it, but it did not arrive before my trip. The $6.00 55 w halogen worked fine even in the downpours I encountered. But - they are not as pretty as the PIAAS and do not shine as brightly or "blue" like the PIAAs do. I'll look for that link.

thanks for the kind words about the report.

K

edited to include PIAA mount numbers
Last edited by GypsyRR on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey