Small Camera

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Small Camera

Post by celticus »

Could anyone recommend a small point and shoot camera? 3 to 6 meg will be fine. It's for my dad. I know a bit about DSLRs but next to nothing about small cameras. What I hear is alot of complaints about the time gap between hitting the shutter button and the actuall capturing of the image resutling in blur.
Mark
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

You can't go wrong with the Cannon Ixus range..IMO...I have an Ixus40 (a few years old now)..and there is no lag between shutter and capture.

DJ

AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

I have a really nice Canon SD 410 (I think). It's small, rugged and takes great pictures. I'd recommend it.
Allan
Austin
fly
Basic User

Post by fly »

Mark, I picked up one of the new Sony's for my 75+ yr old parents back in May before they took a trip back to Denmark. They had never had a digital cam before so I ended up showing them how to use it over lunch and they were good to go. They ended up taking close to 250+ pics on their trip and it took wonderful pictures on the auto setting. I was so impressed I decided to upgrade my two year old Canon to the same thing. The one I ended up buying for myself was the DSCW90 (bought them a DSCW55). Simple to use in full auto mode but does allow you to some flexibility with the built in programs. One of the nicest features is that it comes with a new type of rechargeable battery that Sony claims will allow you to take up to 300 and some pictures on one charge. I was pretty sceptical about this but my folks took all of their pictures on one battery without recharging (left charger at home). I've probably bought 10 or 12 digital cams over the last 3 years (for work, myself, family etc) and had pretty much stuck with the Canon stuff because they were reliable and took good pictures. The Sony was a bit of a deviation for me as the purchase for my folks necessitated that it have good battery life, small, easy to use all while taking high quality pics. As I said above, I was so impressed I bought one for myself and haven't regretted it.
Mark

2007 R1200R (now sold)
2008 Sprint ST
2005 VRSCSE
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

I bought a Pentax Opto W-20 this summer for a raft trip on the Colorado River through the grand canyon because they sold it as "waterproof" it is rated for 10' submersion for 5 minutes. That is a good thing if he's going to use it outside in the elements. It takes great photo's I was very impressed with it's performance over my wifes Cannon A520. They have a new W-30 out now, of course. I also shoot a Nikon D-40 entry level DSLR and the Pentax is not as good but it doens't have the glass either. The delay between mashing the button and shutter release is just an enherent problem with P&S cameras, the just don't have the processor capicity that a DSLR does. Most are somewhat programable so you could help pops set some situation specific programs (green modes on the Pentax) to set whaite balance and exposure, but the auto usually works pretty well. good luck :lol:
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I ended up buying a Sony Cybershot S700. I don't feel I know much more now than I did when I started looking.
My Dad seems to like it so that's quite a lot of the battle.
Thanks
Mark
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

I have a Sony Cybershot S600 - point and click - perfect pics everytime!
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde