EWS fault

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

CharlieO
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

EWS fault

Post by CharlieO »

I went for a short ride this evening to visit some friends and when leaving the I turned on the ignition and waited for the computer to cycle so I could start the bike. Well I waited and nothing happened so I tried again and it cycled correctly and started. I had to make another stop and it did the same thing but I carry a spare key and it cycled and started with the spare key. I got home and parked the bike and went back later to see if it would do the same thing and it worked a few times and then failed. I tried the spare key and it failed I then tried another key but to no avail.
I read the manual and EWS is a theft fault. I had the spare key ( I call it the plastic key) in my pocket and put the normal metal key in the same pocket which I have done many times. The manual says not to store the keys together...I missed that when I browsed the manual. It appears that I have to take the keys to the dealer to get them refreshed. Have any of you guys encountered this?