Tank Rattle?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

peckhammer
Basic User

Tank Rattle?

Post by peckhammer »

I just took my 1200R in for its first service. Cost was $440 and it came with a bonus: The tank rattles like some sort of agricultural machinery. This is a new condition, as the bike was hyper quiet prior to the service.

The rattle is especially pronounced when stopped on any down-hill incline. I can stop it by pressing my right knee into the tank. This condition has gotten better after adding a half-tank of gas. Any thoughts on how to quiet it down?
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

I'd be taking it back to the dealer and ask THEM to quiet it down. Obviously they did something wrong.

If you don't want to do that - then try to track down where the rattle is coming from and see if you can fix it. You might want to take the sidepanels off the left side and check if the tank bolt was left off.. (one bolt on the left side is all that holds it on..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

deilenberger wrote:I'd be taking it back to the dealer and ask THEM to quiet it down.
Tried that. The first response was, "We didn't touch anything that would have done that." The mechanic then took a ride, couldn't hear anything. I don't fault him for that. Mechanics are often listening for mechanical noise. I told him that it happens on a down incline with the brakes on. "You sure it's not the ABS engaging?" I explained that I am a trials rider and can creep a bike at a fraction of a mile an hour without locking the brakes, and it happens at a complete stop if the bike is in gear. He rode it again, couldn't hear it.

Thus, I left and rode 100 yards before immediately being able to repeat the earlier results. I came back, demonstrated how to do it, and after some effort he was able to hear it this time. He turned it over to the service manager and I had to go through the whole thing again -- basically listening to "we didn't touch anything, I can't hear it, it may have come that way from the factory, I am going away for a few days so if it doesn't stop, bring it back."

So, with a half tank of gas and sitting at idle with the brakes on, the tank rattles loud enough to be heard over the sound of the motor, traffic, and planes passing overhead. I'd expect this on a Hyosung, but certainly not on a $17K bike. Thanks for the advice. I'll tear into it myself.

Just in case anyone wondered: Ride West BMW, Seattle.
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
scubas42
Basic User

Re: Tank Rattle?

Post by scubas42 »

I am having a very similar problem with my rockster. I pulled the tank off to replace the fuel filter and have had a very noticable rattle especially at low rpm's ever since. It is the worst when cold and under load. Like you, the noise will go away when I press on the tank. I have checked the bolt and all rubber grommets, I even pulled the tank off again to double check everything. Just wondering if you figured out the problem with yours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
NeilS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by NeilS »

It's hard to talk about noises on the internet, of course, but I had a similar noise after I had the recall work done for the front brakes. The fuel lines to the tank pass through a couple of plastic clamps to prevent them from vibrating against the tank, and the idiot (long story) who worked on my bike "forgot" to reinstall the lines in the clamps.

If you remove the tank mounting bolt, you can lift the rear of the tank enough to sneak your hand in and feel how the fuel lines are routed. There are two of them, one clamp for each, and they're on the left side.
scubas42
Basic User

Post by scubas42 »

Thanks Neil, I will check that next. Groton Ma ehh? Groton CT for me.