Q about using Mobil 1 Extended Perf 15w-50

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Q about using Mobil 1 Extended Perf 15w-50

Post by yjleesvrr »

I went to the local Advance Auto just down the street from my office in Fairfax looking for the regular synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50 oil. The only formulation in this viscosity the store carried was Mobil 1 Extended Performance (also synth). I bought four quarts of it to use on my next oil change this week. Anyone see an issue using this particular formulation in a R259 boxer that our Roadsters have?
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

yjleesvrr,

Long time no see....you must be very busy.

No issues with the Mobil 1 EP, this is a newer offering, that as I understand has a better additive package than the standard offering. I've seen some dyno runs on automotive applications and it is up there with Royal Purple. 8) 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I had been using the regular Mobil 1 15w50 since the 27,000 mile mark. Then one day a few months ago all I could find was the EP at Wal-Mart. I went home and did the change out and as I was wiping my hands off and exiting the garage, I distinctly heard a very quiet voice with a German accent emanating from my bike, saying, "EXTENDED performance!? Ohh I'm so tired. I just dont tink I can handle dat, my chubby friend."
adg44
Basic User

Post by adg44 »

boxermania wrote:
No issues with the Mobil 1 EP, this is a newer offering, that as I understand has a better additive package than the standard offering. I've seen some dyno runs on automotive applications and it is up there with Royal Purple. 8) 8)
Correct. The "extended performance" is by many considered just to be more ester, and a better additive package. I am using it in my Rockster.

I see you are just down the street also, yjleesvrr.

- Anthony
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Yup, at least at my primary residence. Let me know if you want to ride sometime.

Been busy as heck this year, but I'm on track to piling on about 18k miles on motorcycles this year due to the extremely dry spring/summer we've had.

Thanks for the input. I will change the oil tonight with no worries.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
adg44
Basic User

Post by adg44 »

If you want the regular stuff, you can still pick up a 6-pack of 15w50 at Costco in Chantilly for $29.

- Anthony
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

All of the Advanced Auto's near me only carry Mobil 1 (all flavors) in 10W-30 and thinner! I just bought some Pennzoil 20W-50 this evening and will change it later this week.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Advance Auto Parts and sometimes Wal*Mart by me in Gainesville GA also carry Castrol Syntec in the most desirable 5W-50 viscosity. A full synthetic with a FIVE weight viscosity at 32DegF (0 degC) and 50 weight viscosity at 210 DegF (98.8 DegC). Because of those 2 attributes -and- priced under $6/qt I think it's the best oil there is for the R259 Boxer.

That 5W spec is what makes really cold below freezing engine starting even possible and normal cold starts easier. Also, and more important, it is less likely to be bypassed UNfiltered by the oil filter's blow-off valve when you ride away on cold mornings. It also has scored well in independent oil comparison tests. A no brainer decision.

FYI: I'm nor dissing Mobil-1. It's among or the best there is. I buy Mobil-1 in the ZeroW-20 viscosity for Ann's 2004 Honda Civic - - - just what it calls for. If they made a 5W-50 viscosity for under $6/qt I'd get it for my bike. They don't.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
adg44
Basic User

Post by adg44 »

CycleRob wrote:Advance Auto Parts and sometimes Wal*Mart by me in Gainesville GA also carry Castrol Syntec in the most desirable 5W-50 viscosity. A full synthetic with a FIVE weight viscosity at 32DegF (0 degC) and 50 weight viscosity at 210 DegF (98.8 DegC). Because of those 2 attributes -and- priced under $6/qt I think it's the best oil there is for the R259 Boxer.
Only issue with an oil with that spread is the increased use of buffers to give it such a side temperature range, and buffers aren't lubricants.

But yes, for the cold months, a 5w50 would be a good choice.
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Did the oil/filter change last night and rode in to the office this morning. Engine ran great. Considering the cost of BMW synthetic, it's more economical to go with Mobil 1.

My R has 46.1k miles on the odo. I'll probably hit 49k by the end of the year. She feels as great as ever.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

I don't want to stir a hornets nest but I do have some fundamental problems with these lower viscosity multigrades, specially when the OEM's make a blanket statement such as "we recomend 0W40 for all our engines" as MB has done recently amongst many others, including BMW Motorrad.

That my friends is heresy, at least from my perspective. New engines enjoy sophisticated machining methods along with tighter clearances and assembly techniques to which the OEM lubrication recomendation will rightly apply. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for an engine that is 5 or 6 years old, with different assembly clearances along with additonial wear. If you ask me it's a ploy to remove life from your engine and get you to look for a replacement sooner than later, hopefully one of the same brand.

The only salvation is that 0W40 oil can't never get to the viscosity limits because it is a multigrade. However, understanding that the majority of the engine wear comes about during start-up, you would want to have the right oil, with the right viscosity when starting your engine.

So I say, stick to the manufacturers recomendation and if you are going to veer in a different direction do so within one step range......if the recomendation is 20W50 and winter, colder weather approaches, move to 10W40.

Just my 2 cents............. 8) 8)
Last edited by boxermania on Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member #312
79 CBX
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

adg44 wrote:If you want the regular stuff, you can still pick up a 6-pack of 15w50 at Costco in Chantilly for $29.

- Anthony
BJ's Wholesale Club also carries it. It's what I use. My bike is always in a garage when I am not riding it, both at home and at work, so it is not sitting in the extreme cold.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I ride throughout the year and only refrain when it's snowing. As such, I've never had problems starting the R even in January in the mid-Atlantic region. I use 15w-50 year round. I suppose some weights are better than others depending on temperature. But I'm not as anal as some others here! Plus I actually let the bike warm up a bit before I ride off when the weather gets below 50 deg. F.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
marecycling
Basic User

Oil

Post by marecycling »

Run diesal full synthetic, its a better additive package for your engine.
The "good things" that come to those who wait, are just the "leftovers" from those who didn't!
jm1515
Triple Lifer

Re: Oil

Post by jm1515 »

marecycling wrote:Run diesal full synthetic, its a better additive package for your engine.
The only problem w/ oils like Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo etc is that you cannot find them in Xw-50 weight...can you??? :?
j magda
TripleLifer Member 454
04 Black (the Classiest Color) R1150R
Deep in the OH wasteland...
adg44
Basic User

Re: Oil

Post by adg44 »

marecycling wrote:Run diesal full synthetic, its a better additive package for your engine.
It's not really that, it just has more detergents in it than a normal gasoline engine oil.

Most that I have seen are a 15w40 formulation.
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

The only problem w/ oils like Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo etc is that you cannot find them in Xw-50 weight...can you???
What ju1515 says is true. Since I ride pretty much throughout the year, and need to do at least 2 oil changes, I resolved that issue by using Rotella 5W40 in the Fall and Winter and Mobil 1 15W50 in the Spring and Summer.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

boxermania wrote: The only salvation is that 0W40 oil can't never get to the viscosity limits because it is a multigrade.
double negative? does that mean it CAN get to the limit? :lol:
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

You got me Scotty.......my bad.....you are henceforth nominated literary pundit.

As punishment, can I get Boxer to administer 40 lashes with a wet noddle....please....pretty please.... :lol: :lol:
Member #312
79 CBX
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

boxermania wrote:As punishment, can I get Boxer to administer 40 lashes with a wet noddle....please....pretty please.... :lol: :lol:
I didn't know this was THAT kind of board...

Bike's running great on the Mobil 1 Extended Perf. Am about to head out on a 500 mile weekend trip, so life is good.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"