Should I buy a R1150R or not?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Buy a R1150R OR NOT?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:49 am

YES
94%
NO
6%

Total votes: 33

raya
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Should I buy a R1150R or not?

Post by raya »

Can you heLp me ? I have read all of the reviews and Im tempted to buy a used R1150R from my local BMW dealer in Brisbane. The bike looks great, a little nose fairing, in good condition, 2002 model and 50k k/m on the clock.

I have a couple of questions, whats the cost of ownership like, what breaks when, how does it perforn, really! and what does your pillion rider think of the bike?

"Her in doors" (sorry English slang for wife), has agreed to this as Christmas present and demanded that her Christmas pressie be items of gold in the $k of dollars category. Seems worth it!

Gentlemen, whats your views, buy it or not?

Cheers

Ray
Ray
Brisbane Australia

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Buy the R and get some fake gold for the SO. :lol:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

What bikes have you had before Ray, and what type of riding are you planning? The R is very versatile, and many here do two-up riding - is the Mrs going to be out with you a lot?

Not much breaks seemingly IMO & the bikes are capable of very high mileages (daily, and whole life) but there are some well-documented threads on here about fuel line quick disconnect issues (which are a cheap, quick, easy fix). Some bikes have also had problems with gearbox input or output seals, but again, not terminal. Most regular job required is balancing the throttle bodies, but a 15-minute job if you have the required (cheap) gauge.

Relative to other bikes they are pretty light on servicing, tyres, fuel, brake pads etc & much of the work can be done at home if you have the space, tools & aptitude. You will get a lot of knowledgeable advice here if you have specific questions - many are keeping their bikes 'for life'.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Yeah, you'll get a slightly biased opinion from this site on that poll!

The bike isn't the lightest, fastest, lowest maintenance bike out there, and they have their problems but overall a good bike. If you're a little technically savvy, then the normal maintenance is pretty easy, although it's every 10,000 kilo's. The bike has the ability to comfortably carry you far away and have fun doing it.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
KeithC
Basic User

Post by KeithC »

Ray,

Hirsty asks some good questions for you to consider.

I can tell you that I've had 8 bikes over the years, Japanese and American. I currently have an 04 R1150R, my first BMW. By far, I like this bike more than any bike I've ever had. Comfortable for long rides, fast (enough for me), good handling, good looks, and awesome engineering. If your riding interests don't require you to have a crotch rocket, luxo-barge or a** jewelry, go for it.

Keith
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

If it's black, GET IT!
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
duke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 568

Post by duke »

ignore those infidels ... get a Rockster! :D :D :D
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Here's some data to consider: 3-5% of the R1150 line (R, RS, RT, GS) experience a premature final drive failure related to the crown bearing; a smaller number experience a failed clutch slave cylinder between 25-50K km. Still others need a major teardown to perform spline lubrication or replacement. Some develop clutch problems, main seal problems, final drive seepage (not leaks, just weeps), and ignition/starter/coil problems. Some with ABS have that expensive unit fail after only 20K km or so. A very few were cursed with bad transmissions (apparently one bad batch from the supplier crept through QC) and still crop up here and there. That's the bad news.

The preponderance of owners experience no such problems. Maintenance and annual services are all within the skills and tools of the home DITY mechanic. It is possible to never visit the dealer and still maintain the bike unless or until a major sub-component fails.

If you can change the oil and all other fluids (brake, clutch, trans, FD, battery); adjust valves and synchronize throttle bodies; change tires and balance wheels, use a multimeter and a manometer, then you can own this very inexpensively.

Oh, and it's a hoot to ride.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

The guys (and gals) on this board are a hoot as well!!

Buy it -- you won't regret it.

wayne
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

Buy it you'll like it!
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

G'day Ray..I live in Melbourne and I have an 02 R1150R and bought it new in Oct 01.

How much are they asking...how many owners...has it been parked out side or garaged?

I can give you my email address or phone number if you like.

I say go for it...they are a great bike...a real classic..IMO

DJ
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

None better.
Rich
ADIOS!
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

BUY IT! You owe to yourself to own a R1150R. Very nice bikes, and at 50K should be well broken in. What you will like about the bike is its versatility for exploring around town, or around the country. What you may dislike about the bike is the feeling of the motor, or the very very slight buzz in the bars at speeds greater then 140 K/hr.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat....if I hadn't already bought a K12S
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
zooomart
Lifer

Post by zooomart »

Step right up and enjoy. :P
If anything breaks.. it prolly has been discussed throughly here
2004 Silver R1150R
Johan_SA
Basic User

Post by Johan_SA »

Hi Ray

Buying a bike is a matter of personal opinion and choice. YOU should be happy with the bike. I have a 2002 R1150R. Wife had an operation to her back. I tried to let her sit on different bikes before I bought. She was very uncomfortabale on super bikes, a Harley etc.

She enjoys the Beemer to the full. Due to the operation to her back, I limit the distance between stoppages (is there such a word??). It is no problem for her to do 200km + as long as I stop regularly just for her to strech her legs.

Remember it is a naked bike and therefore you will not have the same protection as with bikes with semi of full fairings.

As for running costs - so far I've just had to do the normal stuff and have managed to save a small fortune by following the advice provided by the guys on this forum.

If you do decide to buy it - just relax and enjoy the ride.

Johan
Can you see the wonder of the fairy tale?
Suzuki T500J
BMW R1150R
Arbee
Basic User

Post by Arbee »

Explanation to the No vote

If you have to ask other people whether you should buy a motorcycle
then i say No... do some test rides on an assortment of bikes
compare & determine what you really want inside your head first.

EG Sport touring, Touring, Commuting, Off Road & On Road

After your test rides, when you cant sleep at nights thinking about that
machine, over and over till you cant get it out of your thoughts, once you
have tasted & felt the experience for yourself then you will know the
correct decision.

The urge & the desire to taste the unforgettable adrenalin again
which was experienced previously and wont be satisfied until your
purchase then that is the bike for you, unquestionably.

The BMW for me fulfills most ride requirements and desires i have
unfortunately the dealer network is a disappointment with very few outlets.

Q/A
1. Spare parts are 2-3 times more expensive than the Japanese big 4

2. The pillion will love the ride, one way to determine this is to look at the
footpegs and how much vertical gap between rider & pillion pegs
BMW bikes are very close in height, Jap sport bikes have a pillion seat
4 inches higher than the rider but the footpegs are 12 inches higher.

Self maintenance is a breeze 3 minutes to change a spark plug.
Sport bike 3 hours to find them another 3 hours to re-assemble.

They are a bike which needs an owner / mechanic.

The online microfiche for parts & drawings & the wealth of knowledge
available in these forums makes that "mechanic" part easy.
dcameron
Lifer

Post by dcameron »

The "r" is an exceptional bike - great for twisties or the long run - but, only one way to determine if it's for you - take it for a ride. before i got my '03 r 2 years ago rode some others and when i got on the "beast" - it was meant to be - loved it ever since 8) take it for a ride and see if it fits.
Evil beware, we have waffles.
'03 r1150 - the beast
'11 r1200 - Hooligan
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

Arbee wrote:If you have to ask other people whether you should buy a motorcycle then i say No... do some test rides on an assortment of bikes
compare & determine what you really want inside your head first.
I concur w/Arbee. Even after testing a wide assortment, your riding time may still become a growing experience where you slowly discover what floats your boat about riding. And subject to change, of course.

In my nearly 30 years of riding, my latest enjoyment is derived from:

Long rides (200+ miles day rides, 500+ miles/day extended rides).
Twisties nice and tight (20-30mph) w/occasional 70mph curves.
Paved donkey roads (the roads are paved, not the donkeys).
Soaking up scenery, reaching all senses in addition to sight (I wear a full-face helmet so tasting bugs is out of the question).

So, get an idea of what you hope to derive from riding and test ride some bikes. I've been pretty happy with mine (oh sure, there's always that lusting for the unobtainium, but I doubt if I will be riding them as much for my reason for riding).
:)
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
raya
Basic User

Thanks everyone!

Post by raya »

Thanks for the feed back on the R1150R - every persons advice has been very useful.

I have managed to arrange a day and night with the bike before I buy. The dealer has kindly agreed to this and given me a few suggestions on a good days ride in the country. Pick it up next tuesday morning.

In answer to some of the questions in your messages: I intend to use the bike for work, holidays and fun, but will avoid using it to get in and out of the city. Issue is that Brisbane during peak work days has nightmare traffic and its quicker on the train.

I hadnt realised but when I spoke with the dealer yesterday the bike comes with a set of BMW panniers and a quite smart BMW soft bag that doubles as a top box. By the way the bikes blue. The condition of the bike is very good, appears garaged and one owner. All services by BMW and full maintenance book.

I have owned about 10 bikes in the past 30 years, Z650, CX500, F650CS, CB900 etc and have travelled around europe (when living in England 20 years ago) I remember years ago seeing a guy and a girl each riding BMW's loaded up with baggage driving thru Rome and I was so impressed that the boxster became the bike I had always wanted at some stage. That time is now!

I am a electrician so reasonably handy with maintaining things so will attempt to work on the bike myself - to me thats also part of the fun. Thanks again to those of you who gave a number of pointers on maintenance, your advice will be heeded.

(DJ Downunder would appreciate your email - thanks)

I will post on the site the outcome of my Tuesday ride and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again everyone - and by the way, this is a brilliant site with great members.

Ray
Ray
Brisbane Australia

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Re: Thanks everyone!

Post by duckdave »

raya wrote:I have managed to arrange a day and night with the bike before I buy. The dealer has kindly agreed to this and given me a few suggestions on a good days ride in the country. Pick it up next tuesday morning.
You're a goner! Enjoy
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580