Driving Lights

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Driving Lights

Post by Airman »

I;m looking to install some driving lights soon. I had kind of settled on the PIAA 910's with a set of GMTmoto light mounts, but the cost kind of bites. Do any of you have suggestions / pictures of your installation ? I like the 910's because of their light output and compact size. I'm pretty sure there's some other mounts available, but I've lost my links to them.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Airman

A lot of users have opted for less costly alternatives, like for example, the 55 watt set that can be purchased at the Tool Warehouse store. They have also fashioned simple mountings to hang them below the turn signals, like on an L bracket amongst other places.

It is much less expensive, gives you about the same light output and it is fun to put it together.......CycleRob has a set....... 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Post by TicTac50 »

I was looking for a "CHEAP" solution to the bad reflector in the Headlight. So, I got cheap running Lights from Advance Auto Parts for $19.99
And "CHEAP" they are. I needed better Lights and found HELLA. I called HELLA company and they suggested that I speak to some automotive retailer in NC. FF100 was my choice but the guys from NC recommended FF50. The set comes with relay, switch and enough wire for 3 bikes. I remember paying under $100.00 including the shipping. I am very pleased with the Lights. They make my bike very visible on the road. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Good Luck.
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Another $0.02...

I agree with TicTac50, I mounted the Hella FF50's last year and used an autoswitch (works with the turn signal cancel button) to control them. Price for lights was about 78 bucks, switch was another 20 or so, with shipping a few bucks over a hundred total.

FF50's have an excellent amount of light, available as narrow driving lights or broad beam fogs.

Sorry to add to the confusion! But auxilary lights will really help what ever you buy.

Good Luck! BJ

PS. CycleRob had some excellent pix of mounting to oil coolers shrouds and wiring info...could probably find with the search engine...
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

Thanks guys, I actually have been pretty interested in the FF50's. They have the added advantage of being a street legal light which the 910's are not. The 910 is a 130watt light which puts it in the 'off road only"catagory. I think they make a lot of light though. You see them on a lot of Iron Butt bikes, I've seen a flat steel bracket made by RKA or RMA, or RK..... something like that. The GMTmoto brackets actually put the lights out further then I wanted to mount them. I like the height though. I don't want to mount them down low, but closer to headlight level.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Yeah, I get why you want to mount them up higher, with brackets they may be easier to mount as well.

I picked the oil cooler location because I've seen a couple of other examples I liked. Plus according to an article somewhere a long time ago I recall that daytime conspicuity was enhanced by having a triangular light arrangement with a foot or so between the lights. Allegedly helps other riders/drivers get a better depth perspective. "Allegedly". I also played a bit with the specific mounting spot and have also noted a bit of advantage at night as I lean into corners. My lamps are NOT mounted perfectly level, have a slight tilt with the outboard side a few millimeters higher than inside. So as I lean the lamp puts more light on the shoulder of the highway. Rode all last year with them and was at first concerned that my mounting might increase aggravation factor of oncoming vehicles, but never had anybody "flash" me.

Say, do ever ride out towards Seabeck? :o

Ciao, BJ
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

NAIAD wrote:Yeah, I get why you want to mount them up higher, with brackets they may be easier to mount as well.

I picked the oil cooler location because I've seen a couple of other examples I liked. Plus according to an article somewhere a long time ago I recall that daytime conspicuity was enhanced by having a triangular light arrangement with a foot or so between the lights. Allegedly helps other riders/drivers get a better depth perspective. "Allegedly". I also played a bit with the specific mounting spot and have also noted a bit of advantage at night as I lean into corners. My lamps are NOT mounted perfectly level, have a slight tilt with the outboard side a few millimeters higher than inside. So as I lean the lamp puts more light on the shoulder of the highway. Rode all last year with them and was at first concerned that my mounting might increase aggravation factor of oncoming vehicles, but never had anybody "flash" me.

Say, do ever ride out towards Seabeck? :o

Ciao, BJ
BJ, I don't get out your way. Looks like I should though. Some pretty interesting roads over there, eh ?
People in WA seem to be clueless about light usage. They'll drive around with the brights on, and if you flash them, they don't seem to understand. I am less interested in potential reaction from oncoming cars then it being able to see an extra 100'. Except for police oncoming of course. I haven't seen a mount I liked very much yet. May have to make my own.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Airman,

I agree that lotsa folks around here don't get it to well. Pretty poor driving habits, especially the lady in the Subaru who knocked me off my Duck on 405 in Bellevue a few years ago!

I will say that out here in Katsup Kounty that some other drivers do warn you about the County Mounties / State Troopers who are laying in wait around the next corner. Someone flashes repeatedly...slow down, the radar trap is just ahead! Never had any do that for me when we lived in King County...

It seems I do recall a thread here someplace about an outfit in Salt Lake City that made light brackets that fit the R pretty well. I believe the lights mount below the turnsignals...if I can relocate that thread I'll post it.

There are some nice country lanes out this way, and up towards Port Townsend as well. If you want to come over some day I'll buy you a cup of coffee and show you a few...

Ciao! BJ
jacksgp
Basic User

Post by jacksgp »

Hi Guys, I have been meaning to add driving lights to my r850r and this post has got me moving! Two questions....
I found hella ff50 lights and decided to go with them, can't beat the price

Where can I find mounts ?
What is cyclerob?
Thanks !
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Jacksgp,

FF50's come with a bracket for the light itself, you may need another bracket to attach that to the motorcycle. On an 1150 one location (like mine) is to just drill a small hole on the underside of the oil cooler shroud. Not sure on your bike because I'm just not that familiar with it. Other mounts are usually fabricated and attach at the turn signal stems or headlight mounts, or to crash bars if the bike is so equipped.

CycleRob? On of the other forum members, and a WAY talented wrench twister. He weighs in on lots of technical questions/discussions and usually has excellent advice. He had posted quite a bit about lights, mounts, electrical relays, etc; which I found gave valuable direction. If you browse the board a bit you will definitely come across him.

Good luck, I'm sure someone will come along with better info than I can provide!

Ciao! BJ
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

I had a set of PIAA 1400 fog lights mounted under my oil coolers for the last five years now. I'm very visible.
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Do you think it makes a difference either to conspicuity or illumination if your aux. lights are mounted on a stationary part of the bike, like under the coolers, vs. on a part of the bike that turns, like your headlight does? What I'm asking about is whether it's better to have the lights turn with your handlebars so you can see what you are steering towards vs. having it on a fixed part of the bike where they will illuminate what is directly in front of the bike (in line with the frame), which may be the trees as you round a bend?

I think I would want to see (illuminate) where I'm turning to go rather than what's dead ahead...
Rich
ADIOS!
JCsman
Lifer

Post by JCsman »

Sunbeemer wrote: What I'm asking about is whether it's better to have the lights turn with your handlebars so you can see what you are steering towards vs. having it on a fixed part of the bike where they will illuminate what is directly in front of the bike (in line with the frame), which may be the trees as you round a bend?

I think I would want to see (illuminate) where I'm turning to go rather than what's dead ahead...
Actually, with motorcycles (counter steering), you point the front wheel slightly away from the direction you are turning as you begin the turn. Since that's the time you set your line, I'm not sure you gain anything by mounting on e.g.) the forks. Crazy world, ain't it?
- Bill #438, Lifetime
If I'm going to grow up, I'd better hurry.....oh well.
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

Sunbeemer wrote:Do you think it makes a difference either to conspicuity or illumination if your aux. lights are mounted on a stationary part of the bike, like under the coolers, vs. on a part of the bike that turns, like your headlight does? What I'm asking about is whether it's better to have the lights turn with your handlebars so you can see what you are steering towards vs. having it on a fixed part of the bike where they will illuminate what is directly in front of the bike (in line with the frame), which may be the trees as you round a bend?

Well Rich, my decision to install lights was kind of a progressive thing. I made a friend at work, a Harley rider who really rides the thing. He comes up one day and starts telling me about the Saddle Sore 1000. he wants us to take off in June or so and do one. So in the process of planning a route I realized the back leg of the run will probably cross at least one mountain range in the dark. Maybe two if we ended up starting late. So that's when I started looking at lighting. At this point a decent mount is the issue. I have liked the oil cooler mounting of the small PIAA lights, but if I decide to get a bigger light I think I'll want a better mount. The RCU sold by A&S migh work, but the pictures and description is not real clear. The primary issue for me is going to be the light's reach. Side coverage is good, but I want to see the roadside for a really long ways.
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

JCsman wrote:
Sunbeemer wrote: What I'm asking about is whether it's better to have the lights turn with your handlebars so you can see what you are steering towards vs. having it on a fixed part of the bike where they will illuminate what is directly in front of the bike (in line with the frame), which may be the trees as you round a bend?

Actually, with motorcycles (counter steering), you point the front wheel slightly away from the direction you are turning as you begin the turn. Since that's the time you set your line, I'm not sure you gain anything by mounting on e.g.) the forks. Crazy world, ain't it?
You'll see the Iron Butt guys angle lights left and right to get coverage in corners.
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

Just found an old post by Gord in the Aftermarket Accessories forum with great photos of the RCU light bracket and I think that's what I'll buy for a mount.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Airman,

Glad you found those RCU brackets, remembered there was something like that from an outfit in Salt Lick City, but couldn't remember the company or the product. Gord's install info is GREAT!

You going to use the PIAA's? The FF50 Hellas mentioned earlier are available in a "driving light" pattern that should get a beam WAY down the road. My fog pattern lamps really light things up nicely, but don't go a huge way out in front. Far enough for the speeds I ride! :lol:

The RCU brackets should make the install a little simpler than the oil cooler mounts.

Ciao! Bill J
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

I have a pair of Motolights http://www.motolight.com/ on my bike and I love 'em. I use them day or night for increased visibility. I think the three point mounting with the aux lights mounted down on the forks works well for helping me to see and others to see me. :smt023
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

NAIAD wrote:Airman,

Glad you found those RCU brackets, remembered there was something like that from an outfit in Salt Lick City, but couldn't remember the company or the product. Gord's install info is GREAT!

You going to use the PIAA's? The FF50 Hellas mentioned earlier are available in a "driving light" pattern that should get a beam WAY down the road. My fog pattern lamps really light things up nicely, but don't go a huge way out in front. Far enough for the speeds I ride! :lol:

The RCU brackets should make the install a little simpler than the oil cooler mounts.

Ciao! Bill J
Bill,

The use of the FF50's rather then the PIAA's has something to do with cost. (The 910's are more then 3 times the cost of the FF50's) The 910's are double the output of the Hellas though, if you believe the charts.
I think a pair of fog lights would be a good thing too, but the driving lights first. Perhaps a small pair of cooler mounted fog lamps for those foggy days we get here sometimes. There's a guy at work with a pair of Moto lights mounted way down low on the forks of his K1100RS. I want lights that will let me see that deer on the roadside in time to make a good decision.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Airman,

Perhaps another consideration...fog lamps can be left on pretty much all the time, even with oncoming traffic, if mounted/aimed properly. Most driving lights will need to be dimmed just like your high beam. Potentially another solution, like you hint at it, is to have both. I actually do have my right side lamp aimed at little further to the right, and little higher just so I have a bit more chance of spotting those pesky 4-legged critters!

Seem to recall Dallara doing some installation like that with fog + driving lights, which could be located by a search. His wiring was pretty clever and somewhat complicated, but made for a slick operating system. CycleRob also had some switching recommendations to quicken the response time of the dimming switch.

One other thing I've read in various tech articles is bulb power isn't the only factor involved, mounts, aim, lense/reflector quality are also important considerations. In other words the conclusion seemed to be beam shape/dispersion were probably a more critical factor than watts. One comparison I've seen showed actual tests of different brands and showed dispersion patterns, etc. If I can remember (ha!) where I saw that chart I'll pass it along.

My FF50's weren't chosen so much for cost, as performance. Had Hella's on other cars/trucks in the past and was always impressed by quality and function. Plus in my research had heard some mixed reviews about the PIAA's. No doubt the PIAA installation, especially with those RCU brackets, will be a lot better looking than the plain black lamps hanging off my cooler shrouds!

Good luck with the install...

Jacksgp,

I did find a site that has RCU brackets, but unfortunately they don't seem to have anything for your specific model. You may have to fabricate something. You could look at the RCU catalog and see the ones they make for 1150R's to give you an idea of what needs to be fabricated. Think you can access RCU catalog via A&SCycles in Roseville, CA, they have a good website.

Ciao! BJ